This was my 1st trip to Cape Town and I would rank this Westin as a good business hotel option I've stayed due to the accessibility of my business requirements and proximity to the harbor and restaurant options. If you have business at the CTICC this is a great option as it is less than a 1 minute walk from front door of the Westin to the CTICC.
The Good: Hotel rooms are nice, comfy and clean. Bathrooms are spacious, modern and clean. Hotel is across from CTICC and walking distance to the harbor/restaurants. The hotel also provides a free shuttle to the harbor frequently. The travel/tour desk was GREAT. Very accommodating and had tons of suggestions and also cautioned me on a few things I mentioned. Greatly appreciated as a 1st timer in Cape Town.
The Not so Good: I checked in after midnight (in which I made the hotel aware) and they welcomed me with a smile, sent me up to my room only to have double beds when I requested a king, with a view on an upper floor if possible (I did my trip advisor homework in advance). I had confirmation of my king bed and made it know when I called down to the hotel to complain. I was informed that there were no king beds available and needed to stay put. To know me is to know that option was not working for me. I requested a manager (explained to her my reasoning) and within 30 minutes I was moved to a king room on a higher floor with a great view. The breakfast buffet could have been a little better. During peak times I had to go up and get my made-to-order eggs vs. during non-peak times when the waitstaff delivered it to my table. I was pleased with the fresh juice and smoothie bar. There were thunderstorms one evening and the power flickered off and on for almost an hour. Getting thru to the operator was almost impossible, strike that, it was impossible. The gentlemen at the concierge desk were a little lazy and short tempered in not wanted to do simple task, but after strongly suggesting and noting this was a basic concierge task all was handled.
The Bad: The F&B staff has some polishing to do to on customer service on the bar/lounge side. I sat down a few times on the side of the bar and notified the bartender where I would be to make sure the server came over and watched as servers passed me by and wouldn't acknowledge me. I complained to the bar manager on duty, two separate times about the same lack of service I was provided on two different days. He apologized, while looking confused asking me what he could do for me. As a frequent traveler, it is a BIG pet peeve of mine when I complain about service and managers ask me what I would like, let me see….the world please bundled up for free, is usually my answer. My suggestion to all managers in customer service, at least be able to think on your feet and suggest to me what you think could rectify the current situation. Hmmm, in this instance I'm waiting to be served and I mentioned what I was waiting for, how about comp me that glass of wine…at least. (This section determined my selection of poor for the service rating)
Please keep in mind that I am a frequent business traveler and call myself a travel snob. I also have a high expectation when it comes to certain things at hotels, restaurants, etc which is higher than most people. I say all of this to say, I would stay at this hotel again because the Good during my 7 night stay did outweigh the bad.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in one of the most popular destinations in the world, at the gateway to the historic V&A Waterfront, The Westin Grand Cape Town Arabella Quays is only minutes away from excellent shopping, vibrant city night life, historical monuments and museums, iconic Table Mountain, and the pristine beaches of Clifton and Camps Bay. The hotel offers unlimited complimentary shuttle transfers to the V&A Waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Westin Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Westin Cape Town
- Cape Town Westin
- The Westin Cape Town South Africa