“still a good place to stay”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“still a good place to stay”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

we allways stay in the Westin when we are in Cape Town. It is very central located, near the V&A. Shuttle to Waterfront every halve hour. Booked a executive room, got an upgraded Grand deluxe room (Starwood Gold membership is very often good for an upgrade in this hotel).
Room was spacious with good bathroom with seperate shower and nice view over the sea and Waterfront.
Executive lounge has nice drinks and snacks between 5.00-7.00. In the morning the provide a very good breakfast, lots of choice.
Check-inn is every time a problem, for one or another reason they allways link our booking to a booking we made years ago for a business client so everytime they can't find our booking because the changed the name of the booking to the name of the old client. Even while we book room under own name and SPG number. Asked again to delete old details. Reception did make a fuss about an 1 to 1,5hr late check-out .First didn't even want to check if this was possible, in the end we got late check-out.
Convenient valet parking
We also had spa treatments, I had a massage which was good and my wife a massage and facial which she also enjoyed

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear ekholland27

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. It was nice to hear that breakfast and Arabella Spa exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get . I do apologize for the issues on check in and we have made a note on you profile to make sure this will not happen again in the future.

We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town

Rob Kucera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was there for a business trip. I was happily having my breakfast and the service counter allow me to go in to take my seat. I went and get all my breakfast before getting my seat. Guess what? I saw an empty table and proceed to the seat. The service staff told me it is booked and ask me to stand and eat. Can you imagine such a great hotel with totally lousy experience. I will never recommend anyone to go there.

1 Thank Chuankiat
Dear Chuankiat

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share then with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed regarding the service you received in Thirty 7. Whilst I can assure you that any neglect experienced on this occasion would have been a result of thoughtlessness rather than intent, you have my assurances that the issue raised have been addressed to prevent a similar re -occurrence in the future

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Spent three nights here and could not fault the hotel. Outstanding.

Small tip to hotel: please do screen the taxi drivers in the lobby; while most were fine one or two obviously overcharged us which is not the end of the world but I would expect the hotel to try to inflect their policy on taxis waiting outside.

Dear mistergreen58

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town

Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I usually don't like to write this kind of comment but I am outrageous about my experience in this particular hotel - so I have to write about it, especially since I always liked Westin hotels in the past, and I am also a member.

I am on a business trip and is staying on the Westin Cape Town Executive floor for five days. The room is really just mediocre. The first day I have already found 2 sets of different hair in my bath tub. I tried to ignore it, was too tired and thinking it is a isolated incident. So I slept and worked the next day, coming just to find out that a lot of equipment are faulty - the safe, and lamp and the shower all got problem. So I called the service people tried to change my room, and the person who came was really rude and claimed the safe is fine (But there were two other staff who tested the safe and found it wasn't working as well), and wasn't even bother to inspect the other equipment before acting smart.

So I changed my room at the end but guess what - the shower there is also leaking and what's more, I found pubic hair(that obviously isn't mine) in the bath tub in the next day!

I am absolutely outrage about my experience here, given that Cape Town is such a beautiful city, although not so safe, I would still say my worst experience here would be this hotel!

I only have one night left so not a good idea to change hotel now, but I would not advise anyone to stay here, it just doesn't worth the price!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
6 Thank Keee
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Keee

Thank you for your comments as per you meeting with senior management , we have provided the necassary compensation as per your request.

Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is very convenient for a visit to Cape Town. It is situated on main bus routes including two lines of the "Hop on Hop off" buses. There is also a free shuttle to the excellent V & A waterfront.

The hotel is modern and the breakfasts are excellent. The room was excellent. There is a spectacular indoor pool on the top floor with dramatic views

I would certainly return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a good view
Dear DPALTON

Thank you for the postive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have been treating a friend to a day at Arabella spa every December as i live abroad. We have always enjoyed our experience. This December (2013) was a terrible disappointment.

I left a message for the spa manager to call me as I was bringing a friend and wanted to organise some treats for her. She never called me back. When we arrived- the receptionist was rude and had clearly returned from a smoke break as she smelled of smoke ( I cannot remember her name - it was unusual and started with an L) I asked again to please speak to the spa manager but was told she wasn't there. No further explanation of when she would return. We were seated in the lounge chatting when a therapist walked up and interrupted us rudely by saying "Which one of you is mine?" A bit taken aback, we introduced ourselves and she then said, "Well we need to start now." I replied that we in fact had another ten minutes to go before our treatments started and would like to continue chatting. She walked off muttering something. I had booked the massage that specifically focuses on the head, neck and shoulders and feet. It was the worst massage I've ever had and my friend's was not much better. My therapist kept leaning right over me so that her entire upper body was touching me and she kept knocking the table. The worst part was the actual massage: zero pressure, and it felt as if she was just playing with my hair. Complete waste of money. My friend who was in a separate room went in after me but I came out first - the massage definitely wasn't the full time. I asked again to speak to the spa manager on my way out but she, "Wasn't there." I left my name and number but needless to say she never called back. I cannot believe the change in a year. The spa has gone downhill and the atmosphere is completely different. Please do not waste your time or money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tamsyn_Smith7
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Tamsyn_Smith7

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our services. We do sincerely hope you will permit us an early opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had a large business function at the Westin tonight, and everything was perfect.

From the parking to check-in, it could not have gone better. Quite unbelievable to be greeted by the front desk manager Joseph Mdashe on my name (I stayed here a few months ago) in Afrikaans! Great guy, a true asset.

The gym and spa are still world-class, and the food at our function was fantastic!

The location is perfect for first-time visitors to Cape Town.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the V&A Waterfront and World Cup stadium.
Dear Gerhard13071964

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin and we hope to see you again very soon for you next stay in Cape Town

SuperFoodsRx® menu
SuperFoods dishes powerfully pair whole foods to boost their flavors and their benefits. SuperFoods include fruits, vegetables, grains and proteins that are known to improve well-being and longevity. Antioxidant-rich and naturally low in calories, these tempting selections make healthful meals impossible to resist. Westin is the first hotel to embrace the SuperFoods concept and introduce these delectable, good-for-you choices to breakfast and in-room dining menus.