“Loved it - great stay at a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Cape Town

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #23 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
US
“Loved it - great stay at a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I just spent 5 nights at this property, and I can't wait to have a chance to visit again. Excellent staff across the board - we had a couple of minor issues with our reservation that were addressed with attention and respect. Our room was lovely, and the service was top notch.

I have to specifically call out the food and beverage service. We went to the evening happy hour in the lounge (we were on the executive floor) and it was one of the best I have been to. The canapes were creative and special. The selections of wines was great. We also dined in the Executive level dining room one night and had a fantastic meal there - one of the best of the whole trip.

So kudos to the entire staff at this property!

Room Tip: The views from the upper floors were fantastic - we found the executive level very much worth the in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelingin2009
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear travelelingin2009

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. It was nice to hear that the Canape hour and all staff exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future

Rob Kucera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Laren, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Attentive friendly staff. Comfortable bed and bedroom. Light and spacious open plan lobby, bar and restaurant areas. Breakfast / Lunch buffet and a la carte food all were good. Location close to V&A waterfront.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear ItsJCB

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay wiht us at the Westin Cape Town. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My observation for this Westin location was definitely more of a corporate clientele. The staff were very accommodating and pleasant. The room was clean, modern, and comfy with a nice view. Room had a luxurious feel to it which was just what I needed! The free shuttle from the hotel to the V&A waterfront ran on a schedule which was perfect for accessing the waterfront. I spent most of my time at the waterfront enjoying the live music performances offered throughout the day and dining at the restaurants. I booked the Westin using SPG points and chose it for the view and pleasant surroundings after checking out of Rondebosch Manor which did not meet my standard. I would stay at the Westin Cape Town again as it is conveniently located to the V&A waterfront.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tequila M
Dear Tequila M

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed here in late December 2013. It does have a somewhat corporate feel, but the rooms are nice (wish they had some balconies though). We stayed here on SPG points, as gold Starwood members. Our rate included access to the Executive Club, so every morning we had a large breakfast with an amazing view. It also included a nightly happy hour from 5-7pm, which included red, white or sparkling wine and one appetizer plate. It was really a good value.

The hotel isn't in a great location, right next to the convention center, and not many things you can walk to. But they try to make up for it with a very frequent and reliable shuttle to the V&A waterfront, where there are plenty of restaurants.

We had a strange experience with the concierge. The woman working there seemed to have a bit of an attitude the first time we asked a question. The next day we asked her to book a sunset cruise for us for that evening. We stood there while she made the reservation on the phone, and said we didn't need to give a credit card to secure the reservation. When we got to the docks that night, the boat company said no phone call ever happened, that any reservations would have required a credit card, and that we had no reservation. This being New Years Day, things were totally booked up. We scrambled to find another cruise since this was the only night we could go- luckily we found one other company who would take us (honestly though I think they were over their capacity, it was sketchy), so I guess it worked out. All in all, I don't know what really happened with our reservation. My advice is that maybe it is better to just book everything yourself instead of relying on the concierge.

CapeTown itself is absolutely beautiful and there are so many things to do. This is an ok place to stay, especially since we stayed on points.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewYorker1025
Dear NewYorker1025

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin. As management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any or all issues.

Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I had a CONFIRMED upgrade to an executive suite with a "wonderful view", and after traveling in Zimbabwe, we were really looking forward to it. What a disappointment:

- Instead of the confirmed suite with the mentioned view, we were given a second floor room, clearly marked as executive club room, with a view of an elevated highway no more than 50 feet away (picture of the room sign and picture from the outside attached. The room in question is the one with the slightly opened curtain). The next day is was confirmed by several managers that all suites are taken, which means that our confirmed upgrade was cancelled in favor of somebody else. Short term profits seem to beat long-term brand value. So we are second-class guests for the hotel (SPG Platinum, Elite level for 15 years since inception of the program, almost 800 nights).

- We managed to change to a club room with a better view, but the disappointment about not getting the confirmed suite stuck.

- When taking up this issue with front office staff/various managers, three of them claimed that the assigned room is a suite, while the forth one claimed that "sometimes we call it executive club room, sometimes we call it suite". That is in fact very troubling.

- None of the staff seemed to be aware that the room in question is having a sign saying "Westin Executive Club Room".

- None of the staff was aware of the room types in the hotel, and that Club Rooms and Suites are two different categories which can be booked at different rates.

- None of staff was aware that the internet descriptions on the Hotel's own website read as follows:
Club Rooms: Located on higher floors for spectacular views....
Executive Suites: ...affording breathtaking views....
Advertising a second floor room as "high floor" and a view of a highway as "wonderful" is dishonest at best. How about truth in advertising?

- None of the staff apologized for not honoring their confirmation.

- None of the staff offered any compensation. In the past, we had two occurences where Westin mismanged reservations, and in both cases we received a generous amount of points as compensation. It needs to be said however, that we found a bottle of wine in our room one evening (very reasonably priced, retail price 45 Rand or USD 4.50. Yes, that is four and half Dollars, not fortyfive). Since there was no note whatsoever, we do not know if it was meant as apology or not.

- Something rather funny: Having breakfast in the Executive Lounge, we were asked by a waitress to fill out a comment form, which.....had a section for tips for the waitress. Isn't that a great concept? " Please fill out my form and then give me a tip for it". I have never seen this one before.

- I requested repeatedly to get the feedback of the GM; however, Mr. Rob Kucera did not have the time and/or willingness to meet with a guest. No call, no message, no note, no nothing.

In summary, we were left with the impression of a very poorly managed hotel, with untrained staff, no clear room categories (which is very troubling), questionable advertising, and with a lack of core values.

Three days ago I filed a complaint with Starwood, to which I received a very quick response, saying that my complaint has been forwarded to the hotel and crediting my account with extra points (Starwood's SPG PLatinum service is first class). Not surprisingly however, I have not received any acknowledgement from the hotel that they in fact care (probably I will receive the standard reply "thank your for your comments, which I will share with the team......).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jtkJakarta
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear jtkJakarta

Thank you for taking the time in posting your comments - As a management team we take all comments very seriously. We will be in direct contact with you with regards to you recent stay at the Westin Cape Town,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is situated very close to the V&A docks and has great views on the higher floors 7th upwards. My room was clean and comfortable but showed a fair bit of wear and tear. Bed was firm enough for a good nights sleep. Staff were very attentive and always happy to help. I think this hotel is more of a business destination rather than holiday makers. Wifi needed logging back into every time you left the coverage area which was a pain. Food was excellent what ever meal you have. Coffee machine in the room made good coffee.
Overall a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Need to be 7th floor and upwards. Views are great which ever side you get.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nidderdoom
Dear Nidderdoom

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

It is a long time when i want to travel to a new country ,I search in Tripadvisoer because i think Tripadvisor looks like a family which people tell their ideas about different things like the quality of hotels,restaurants,etc.
Many times tripadvisor encourages or dicourages me about my choices.
last holiday i traveled to South Africa ,Cape town ,westin hotel.i was tour leader with a big group.
at first ,receptionists had a lovely manner and everything was clean ,so we had the positive feeling .we had a quick check in so it was wonderful.in the hotel ,for using elevator and opening the door of corridor of our rooms we used the card,so we felt a lot of security .the hotel is located in the center of the city with high qualities .
but unfortunately in second day when i wanted to leave the hotel i counted the dollars which i had and put it in my in a Hidden layer of my bag because i heard that house keeping can open the door of safety box in Africa .at night when i came back and counted my dollar ,i was surprised ,500$ was lost.
i went to reception and spoke with security manager and filled form .but until now ,nobody answer me.i thought this kind of happening is very important for the manager of the hotel and he tries to keep reputation but the manager send me an e-mail to tinker the situation.
I leave it. I don;y want that money BUT.By these kind of bungling. They make their staffs so bold and willful to search the baggage of gusts inside of their rooms and by putting a notice on the table TO BE SAFE they show this alarm to staffs to be independent and out of control..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear iranianbackpacker

Please feel free to connect with Mr Eben Nel to discuss any further concerns as he did meet with you prior to your arrival.

Be wel, be Westin