“Absolutely Brilliant...Best in SA”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #27 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 7 January 2009

Absolutely brilliant...location, rooms, service, security...Best hotel in South Africa by far. Total 12 of us with kids and you wouldnt have thought it was a business hotel. Definately will be back

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank ZMR

Reviewed 7 January 2009

My boyfriend and I spent 5 nights here at the beginning of our South African trip. The hotel is well-located, sandwiched between the V&A Waterfront, where boats for Robben Island depart and great shopping abounds, and the Long Street restaurants and bars. It is also conveniently located right off the N1, making it a quick 20min from the airport and a good base for day trips to Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope and the winelands. Rooms are spacious, with stylish decor, flat screen TVs, and ample light from the large windows. The breakfast buffet is quite extensive with many vegetarian options; however it can become repetitive as the dishes are the same each day. Free internet access in the lobby and free wireless were big pluses. Parking was also plentiful and cheap due to the proximity of the convention center next door. Free wine tastings in the early evening were also a nice touch. This hotel definitely exceeded my expectations and was great value for money. I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank habib1980
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Very Modern Hotel well placed in the centre of Cape Town. Good Service, Great Appartments. This Hotel reminds me a bit of the new Hilton hotels that I usually stay in. It takes only few minutes with a Taxi to the City Centre (20-30 Rand - 3€). Same to Long Street with all night life and pubs. Also not far away from Table Mountain and Clifton beaches (100Rand - 10€) Graet Sauna and Wirlpool! Clean and Safe. We booked this hotel for a short 7 day business & holiday stay in dec 2008. We took 2 days to travel to Port Elizabeth and back to Cape Town. It is a great city especially if you are returning to the hotel you can rely on. I do not understand the negative comments, as I am travelling alot and this one is really up to the European 5* Standards. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone visiting Cape Town. Friendly service. Super Clean. Although Continental Breakfast taken to the room could have been bigger. I plan to come back in March!! Thanks for a nice stay! Piotr G.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank gpeter991
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I would not agree with the previous customer, that Westin is poorly maintained at some aspects, yet there are few moments which I would mention later.
First of all, it''s a great modern building, very nice from the outside and even nicer from the inside. Absolutely stunning bright rooms with excellent bathroom amenities, such as heated floors (great! great thing! you'll remember my words one winter morning!), bathrobes, lots of towels etc. I stayed at Deluxe which had both the bathtube and the shower which is stunningly strong and powerful.
Then there are those little details which make you feel a long-awaited and desirable guest - a welcome drink in the evening (self-service at lobby), Lindt chocolate on your bed just before you go to sleep, every member of staff smiling and saying "Good morning/evening, sir", as you pass them by...Did I mention complimentary Wi-Fi at the whole building? (Let's be honest - it's not that speedy, sometimes it disconnects without a reason, but it's still good to have the opportunity to check your mail or read news anytime).
Then there's free shuttle service to Waterfront and back until 23-15. It's not that far, but gets not that safe or pretty after dark. Too much empty spaces, too much poor people on your way. It's also a short walk up the Lower Long Street to get to Long Street which has all the nightlife and shopping malls for the younger ones.
Breakfast - just excellent.
Now, there were two things I disliked. First was the neighbouring Cape Town International Convention Center. This results in a lot of business people staying overnight, crowding the restaurants and lobby area. The second thing - they do take a deposit in amount of two nights stay cost. If you're paying by card, then it's ok. But if you pay in cash, they give you money back in local currency at a very low rate. There's also some local fee which is excluded from the room rate (you only see it as you check-out and pay). This is just a small thing but it should have been mentioned at the time of booking.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Thefall
Reviewed 5 December 2008

This was my first venture into the Westin portfolio and therefore my views were informed by 6 years as a Sofitel regular.

My reason for booking the Westin was to take account of the dangers of walking within Cape Town after dark and therefore the need to have a full service hotel.

In that capacity the Westin suceeded. I enjoyed excellent meals in the full range of eateries including the sushi bar and in-room dining.

Having arrived from the UK at 6.30am I expected no more than being able to deposit my luggage before the 3pm check-in. Therefore being allowed to allowed to check-in upon my arrival at 730am and therby enjoy both a shower and bed was simply wonderful - full marks at that stage.

Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.

Overall there was a failure to deliver. If I asked someone for something then, after day 1, I did not expect it to happen. Whether it be my coffee being topped up, a glass of water, or even having a napkin - it just did not happen.

There are plenty of staff available but they are under-managed and just do not know how to actually do their job.

Most frustrating was room service.

On arrival there were two bathrobes, loads of towels and guest complimentaries. BUT they were not replenished. So on day 3, I had no bathrobe, shampoo or cotton buds and was on my last towel. I complained in person to the duty manager - but the next day only some items were replaced. I won't even mention the failure to replace the bed linen despite my specific request.

On day 3 the swimming pool & spa (steam room & sauna) required "emergency maintenance" and so were no longer available for the remainder of my stay/

I can best describe this hotel by quoting what I said to a friend who queried my boring committment to Sofitel. With Sofitel "it just works". At the Westin it should - but it doesn't.

The building is excellent but poorly managed and fails to deliver.

I did not bother signing up for their loyalty programme.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Gordon W
Reviewed 4 December 2008

This was our second visit to the Westin Cape Town ,last time we stayed there it was still under the umbrella of Arabella Sheraton so I don't know if this influenced the service.
We were a bit apprehensive about staying here as we stayed 5 years ago (admittedly they had only just opened) and were not impressed with the service, however on this visit we were nicely surprised. Everything worked perfectly and the staff (from front desk managers to staff in Executive Club) were wonderful. The hotel was running at 100% capacity (they deserve it!) but everything was running perfectly. Being Starwood Platinum members we were very grateful to have an upgrade to an executive suite as we were staying 6 days so we had plenty of space to relax in. The complimentary breakfast and drinks in the evening were very enjoyable with great views. We are looking forward to returning next year. Well done Westin.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mdemo
HotelTeam_8, Online Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at The Westin Grand Cape Town Arabella Quays and we hope to see you again soon for your next visit to Cape Town.

The Management Team

Reviewed 1 December 2008

I've stayed on both regular and executive floors here and in other places from B & B to the Cape Grace, and think the Westin is a shining value for the money. Among its best attributes are the absolutely spotless spa, which was included in a very attractive rate, an efficient and responsive air conditioning system to battle the heat of the African sun, and a hushed quiet that is not typical of a convention hotel. The staff was outstanding and many took the initiative to learn my name. Every person I interacted with was professional and gave beautiful service. I used the hotel's Audi sedan service to the airport and was whisked in luxury for just under $40 US at current exchange rates. The slight additional cost of the Grand Deluxe room for the executive club amenities is a bargain I would recommend, and I'd certainly consider renting a car. The freeway from the airport literally ends beside the hotel, so driving there is a snap, and a car is helpful for Kirstenbosch, the Cape of Good Hope, the Winelands, and the Garden Route, which is truly gorgeous if you have the time.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank TurtleCreekTraveller

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at The Westin Grand Cape Town Arabella Quays and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

The Management Team