“Our Favorite Hotel in Southern Africa!”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #27 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 16 May 2010

We spent two months driving around southern Africa and this was our favorite hotel. By far. It was amazing. Reserved a regular room and were upgraded to the club level. That meant access to the club lounge for fantastic breakfasts with views of the bay and Table Mountain. The spread is unbelievable with fruits, cereals, and pastries, or you can order omelets, pancakes, etc. from the kitchen. We made it back each night for happy hour to watch the sunset with complimentary cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. The staff was so gracious and helpful as well. Always had a smile, kind word, and a helpful suggestion when we needed it. Enjoyed dinner one night in the formal restaurant - delicious food with a good wine selection by the glass. We also enjoyed salads and sandwiches in the downstairs bar area. Shuttle ran every hour to the V&A Waterfront for dining and shopping. You can also catch the ferry to Robben Island from there and use the terrific tourist office to book other activities. Oh, and the rooms! We loved them - quiet and perfect temperature control. Comfortable beds with super comfy linens. The bathroom will blow you away - heated floor tiles and rainwater shower. Great, free internet connection (some rooms even have printers) and large work space.
I dream about staying here again. Hope you have a wonderful time in Capetown!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelCuties

Reviewed 14 May 2010

Visited Cape Town for a week and stayed at the Westin. It's nicely appointed, the breakfast buffet was excellent, offering a variety of foods to please most any tastes and dietary need. Loved the top floor workout room, while small it had everything we need and the panoramic city view was magnificent. Spa and pool were nice, too.

No outdoor dining/lounging space, but we left the hotel for beaches and touring anyway. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Great place. Great staff. Clean and spacious room. Great view of the mountain and water. Take me back please! Shuttle operating every 15 min to the Waterfront.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights during our trip to South Africa. We love Westin hotels - they are generally well-maintained, clean, classically decorated, service is friendly and the beds are extremely comfortable. This one definitely fit the bill. The hotel is walking distance from the V&A waterfront, but its about a 15-minute, non-scenic walk. Instead, they provide a free shuttle which runs every 30 minutes to and from the waterfront (about a 5 minute drive), which we found to be really convenient. Even when the shuttle was full and couldn't fit us, the driver would speed off, drop the passengers off, and speed back to pick us up even if it wasn't at a scheduled time. Great service. We also had a massage and a facial at the spa. Prices were relatively affordable (in USD) and the services were top quality. Would highly recommend it. The gym is not huge, but was empty every time I went and they have a good variety of modern machines (treadmills have own tv). The rooms are fairly standard for a Westin - modern and comfortable. And as always, the Westin beds were absolutely Heavenly.

Some negatives - the concierge was a little disorganized at times - we called down and asked them to make restaurant reservations for us twice and they never got back to us. Another time, they made a restaurant recommendation for lunch on a Monday and we went, it ended up being closed on Mondays. In the room - the toilet, which was in a separate space in the bathroom with its own door, consistently had a bit of a smell to it, but it wasn't a huge problem because we could just close the door. But these were minor glitches and didn't ruin our stay.

We enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend it as an affordable, yet upscale hotel in Cape Town.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jesslin114
Reviewed 2 May 2010

My third stay at the Westin Grand Cape Arabella Quays was from the 25th to the 28th of April 2010 at room 721. The hotel has a fantastic decor and is very clean but after a few hours I observed that the staff at the reception were unfriendly only the person who attended to me greeted me. I was further dismayed that staff would walk by you without any acknowledgement whatsoever. I ordered food that was not tasty and laundry was not promptly picked up, my luggage was not picked up for about 30 mins on the date of my departure I also asked for a bottle of water and that took over an hour when I asked why it took so long the staff arrogantly replied that he had gone to the wrong room earlier. He stalked off without any apology. The check out receptionist processed my bill without any greeting nor farewell. It was the worst experience I have had at any 5 star hotel. I have stayed at the Westin hotel Milan and it was a pleasant stay.I often stay at other 5 star hotels round the world I hope hospitality at this particular hotel improves. I won't be going back there!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Our stay at the Westin Grand was extremely enjoyable. From the moment we arrived we were given outstanding service. Staff on reception were extremely courteous. Staff at breakfast were efficient and always pleased to serve us.
Our room, on the 15th floor, was fantastic, It had a delightful king sized bed, spacious bathroom and an excellent view of the waterfront and Green Point stadium.
Breakfasts were also of an excellent standard and served as a very filling start to each day. There was a reasonably sized swimming pool and jacuzzi on the top floor which was free to use - well recommended. Finally, the complimentary shuttle bus to and from the waterfront was very convenient and ran until after 11 p.m.
In short, a fantastic stay in an unbelievable city. We would recommend visits to District Six museum, Robben Island, the Winelands and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. The hop on and off bus tours of the city stop very near the hotel. This was a brilliant way to explore the city and surrounds. You can get off at the foot of Table Mountain and take a cable car to the summit - breathtaking!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I was at the Westin for an eight night stay amd cannot say enough nice things about my favorite conceirge (Florence), my favorite wait staff at the 19th floor for breakfast (Yvonne), the assistant manager for the 19th floor lounge (Reginald was amazing, always with a smile on his face) and Marvlin (I think that was his name) who took such good care of us in the lounge for cocktails and tapas. My favorite concierge was Florence, she directed us to a great driver for a private tour aroudn the western cape area. We were going to do several day trips, but she told us that we would be much happier to hire a private driver and not go on a bus with 60 of our "closest friends". She was correct and John was a great driver. He easily picked up our cameras and took pictures of us and the sites. He also kept us safe from the baboons (who were aggressively trying to get into several cars) and we were able to stop at different vantage points to take photos. The spa treatment was fantastic adn I never felt rushed. It was a great experience staying at eh Westin while in Cape Town. The Jazz Festival took place on Satuirday and Sunday nights -- there was nothing like being put to bed by George Benson on Sunday night. What a lovely night..

The embroidery in the 19th floor lounge was beautiful, as was the artwork int eh first floor lounge. Wow.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends