“Avoid at all costs, this was terrible”

The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel
Ranked #49 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Brisbane, Australia
“Avoid at all costs, this was terrible”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

What can I say, but we made a mistake and will never do it again. The end of our 10 person group excursion to South Africa ended in May 2013 with 6 nights at the Peninsula. The group was 8 adults and 2 children so we booked a 2 beroom and a 3 bedroom suite to accomodate the 10 of us.

Positives - The view. Located right on the waterfront, our view was simply spectacular and I have attached photo's to show the same.

- The bar staff. Can't remember both of their names, but they were trully brilliant.

Before I start on the negatives, we travelled from Australia so our exchange rate was 1 AUD to 10 Rand (10.13 to be precise on arrival). The 3 bedroom suite cost us 1800 AUD for 6 nights, or a whopping 18,000 Rand for 6 nights, or in simpler terms, about 300 AUD or 3000 Rand per night.

Negatives - I will start in order of check in.

- The entrance gate wasn't working properly on check in and the single desk operator had to juggle a faulty electronic key and the phones to let us in. After waiting at the front gate for 3 minutes, we finally made it to the entrance inside.

- The parking at the Peninsula is at a premium (which you pay for I might add even as a guest who parks your own car at 45 Rand per night). We stopped at the entrance inside the gates to check in. I left my wife and kids in the car (thinking this process would only take a few minutes) how wrong was I. The parking area at the Peninsula when you check in allows one car to park at reception. No other traffic can pass whilst the car is at reception, so the 15 minutes it took for me to check in resulted in a steadly line of (somewhat irate) guests being backed up behind us. Apologies were made and we had the ported take our bags to our room.

- The porter (nice chap), then proceeded to spend 10 minuites opening every door, drawer, turning on every light, turning on the television (at an unbearable volume), turning on all airconditining systems and steop by step explaining how everything worked. As an educated man in my mid 40's, I kind of know how to turn on a light switch and honestly don't need to be shown how to turn on all 17 light switches in the room. Anyway, I tipped him and off he went.

- The hotel in general. We were advised that this place was built 25 to 30 years ago. They must have decorated it back then in a very art deco fashion and nothing has changed since. I beleive reception was renovated recently, but it reminded us very much of faulty towers.

- 3 bedroom suite. Master with double bed, ensuite and the usual. In Australia, this room alone would just scrape in at 3 stars. I have travelled a lot, and this is honestly the highest rating the mater bedroom would achieve. Then we moved onto the other 2 rooms (to sleep 2 adults and 2 children).

- Second and 3rd bedrooms were of an equal size. Both supported 2 single beds (at 5 foot 10, my feet fell off the end). There was a small nightstand and cupboard, but not a lot else. There was a further powder room which had a WC and basin and then another bathroom. This is where things became very interesting.

- The second bathroom had a basin, WC and bath come shower with a plastic shower screen. I mentioned I am 5 foot ten, well I am certainly not overweight to the obese standard and there was no conceivable way I could shower without standing sideways. The bath spout extended into the bath tub to such an extent, you bashed your leg everytime you showered and the cold curtain rubbed and stuck to your body everytime you moved.

- The room looked as though it had not been painted since it was built and when we tried to sit at the dining room table, the chairs wobbled to such an extent that we decided to eat on the sofa instead for fear of breaking something. As we had only been in the room for a couple of hours, we thought we would sample the bar and facilities. At this stage, the room and hotel was not much higher than 2+ stars on an international scale.

- The Bar. Picture a glass room that at capacity could fit 20 people. Picture this space filled with furniture. Picture low lighting and the stale smell of cigarette smoke (if you need more of a picture, drop me a line). The waiter / bar tenders as mentioned were actually very good, polite and had that special knack of remembering ten peoples different orders without writing anything down and getting them all spot on (thanks alot guys).

- Dinner. We only ate dinner twice at this place even though there was nothing much in close proximity. The first night we were there the food was actually palatable. Nothing special but after a long dayb travelling and a few Black Labels under our belts, we were satisfied and went to the room to sleep.

- Ambience. The crashing of waves on the rocks is enough to send anyone off to sleep. Then, the screeching of car tyres, revving of engines and general road noise shattered the crashing of waves on the beach. We were on the sixth floor and it was cold so all windows were closed. This only lasted until about 11pm each night we were there.

- Breakfast. Our room included 2 free breakfasts for the room each day. Not sure how that works when you have 6 people in the room, but alas, that was the deal. The standard fair for breakfast (all you can eat and coffee) that we experienced in our trip from Pretoria to Cape Town and most places in between was about 7-8 Rand per person. Our family of 4 never spent more than 30 Rand and we even managed to walk away at Jeffrey's Bay on extremely full bellies for the grand total of 22 Rand. The Peninsula had 2 breakfast options, each one 8 Rand per person. If you want cold food, that's 8 Rand. If you want hot food, that's 8 Rand per person. If you want one cold selection and then hot for the rest or visa versa, fork out 16 Rand please and don't bother asking if you can just have bread and bacon (that's 2 selections or 16 Rand.

We opted for the hot breakfast and we only did it once. The food was almost inedible. I love my bacon, eggs and hash browns. I didn't even pick up the hash browns as they were soggy and looked like they had been neglected by every guest in the past year. My wife had poached eggs that had so much ninegar in them, she was almost sick.

Dinner- The last point on food was the service. The Peninsula has numerous menu options. Being the classy place that it is, the waitress approached us on the 2nd and last night we decided to eat here and explained each menu. Sfter explaining the menu, she (one at a time) placed the menu in a pile in front of my wife. At the end of this, my wife sifted through the menues like a pack of cards to see what she could order. Would it surprise you if I said the 2 items she wanted from the 4 menues were not available. Needless to say, dinner was had elsewhere from this night on.

- Smell. I have unfortunately left the worst for last. We awoke during the second or 3rd night to a smell of dirty ashtrays and vomit wafting through the room. As none of us are smokers and certainly none of us were sick, we scoured the room to see where the smell was coming from. Alas, all searching failed to locate anything and we surmised tgat another guest must have been ill in the foyer during the night.

On returning the next evening, the smell in the hallway was still there. We advised reception in person of the odour and ststaed it appeared to be coming from a cleaning closet located right next to our room. We were assured that this would be attended to. That night, the smell continued to waft into our room and we were forced to puit a bath towel rolled up at the bottom of the door to stop the smell from coming in.

Needless to say, several conversations with reception and several nights later, the smell was still there. It actually became a joke amongst us all and the kids were putting jumpers over their heads just to get into and out of the room. We played a game whereby whoever lost had to take the room key and run to the door on our return to have it open for us all to run into (I am not joking).

Summary. This hotel appears to be primarily time-share. Alomst all of the guests look as though they bought time share 30 years ago and management has not been willing to spend a singkle cent on refurbishment or maintenance. I have reviewed a lot of hotels and have been to manby more without review and I can honestly say, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. They proudly promote a 2012 trip advisor certificate at 4 star near the lift. I have no idea how they achieved this, but the niko pen on the last 3 cirles did look a little fresh.

Please drop me a line if you want more information on this place. If you are traveling from abroad, please consider other options.

Room Tip: Somewhere within 5 klilometres is preferable. Ask for a room close to ground level (the lifts don...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Chris G
Peninsula-Hotel, General Manager at The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear: Chris

Thank you for your comments, we take all criticism constructively. Your comments have been investigated and addressed. We believe these are isolated incidents and not the Peninsula's standard, we spend six million rand every year on refurbishment and each room receives a make over every six years. I agree the two apartments your party occupied were tired however the apartment 204 since your visit has gone through a full make over, and is looking spectacular. Regarding the bad smell I have no explanation and would have liked to address at the time. I will be making contact via email to address further and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, this as you can read from past reviews is not our usual standard.

Kind Regards
Chris Godenir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Warm hospitality. Friendly efficient staff. Well located establishment on the promenade / platinum mile. The view is to die for and the complimentary shuttle service and strategic location of the hotel on 4 MyCiti bus rapid routes, makes the location of high value. Suitable for family time away as well as the corporate / business traveller that needs the best of both worlds. A good mix between old colonial and more modern décor. Parking within the property is a bit tricky at night, but adequate solutions are managed on site. You are in close proximity to all major attractions, but you will need to drive to the nearest beaches. I was pleasantly surprised during my stay and would recommend this property with a smile.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Well situated hotel, with beautiful sea views! Rooms are very clean, but they need refurbishment! Some of the couches are torn and old. The hotel has a free shuttle for travel within 8km. This is a big plus as city centre and V&A Waterfront are within this distance! The noise from the road is not that bad and the road works are now complete. So... overall nice stay but management needs to look at refirbishing! Will come back!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

As a timeshare owner at the Peninsula I have visited the hotel on a regular basis on holiday from the UK over the last 20 years, normally every 2 to 3 years and always receive a warm welcome with staff remembering me from past visits.

Unless you desparately want to see the views from higher up I would recommend a room on the first floor where the views are still very good The rooms in floors 2 to 11 have small balconies whereas from the rooms on the first floor you can walk directly out of your room onto the large verandha / deck area where there is much more room for sunbathing and having meals if you decide to self cater now and again or just sitting reading a book and admiring the view. Also, it is more protected from the wind than higher up.

The rooms are always well maintained and serviced every day and have a built in kitchen for those who prefer to self cater. Also, the furniture is replaced on a regular basis to maintain a high standard of quality.

Normally I would use the restaurant once or twice on my 2 week visit but only because there is such a choice of restaurants at the Waterfront depending on your taste. Otherwise the restaurant provides a good choice for all tastes.

The hotel also has an on-site booking desk where you can organise trips to local sights, wine tours etc.

Another real benefit which the hotel provides is a free shuttle service to the Waterfront and this can be booked for the outward and return trips to locations within a reasonable distance from the hotel. I used this facility regularly after returning from a days golf or sightseeing to go to the Waterfront in the evening as it saves a lot of hassle driving and finding parking whilst also allowing you to have a glass of wine or whatever with your meal. It also allows you to get to know some of the other guests at the hotel and chat about your experiences in Cape Town and surrounds whilst travelling.

The location of the hotel is excellent as, no matter where you want to go in or around Cape Town or further afield, it is very easy to get onto the main routes in and out of the city. The main advice I would give in this respect is to try and avoid the morning and evening rush hour(s) as the roads can be rather busy. However, in the morning you should generally be going against the major traffic and also when returning in the evening.

The main draw back of the hotel is the lack of car parking space for all residents and I would advise trying to be parked by 8.00pm if the hotel is busy. This is the major benefit of the shuttle bus as you can leave your car safely parked at the hotel and be out and about in the evening with no concern about parking on your return. Otherwise you may find yourself double parked and having to leave your keys with reception until the morning. Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon.

There is a very good dry cleaners at the roundabout on Queens Road and Regent Road within 100 yards of the entrance to the hotel off Queens Road for those who need some washing done during there stay and also a Spar supermarket further along Regent Road for those who chose to self cater.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John F
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom penthouse in March. The master bedroom faced the ocean and the terrace had it's own BBQ and Jacuzzi.

Our view from the front was of the ocean and behind us Signal Hill kept a watch over us. It was great going out every day and coming back to our own Jacuzzi. I would highly recommend staying in a room with these facilities. You effectively get to balconies. Although it was out of season for whales, the day we arrived a huge pod had arrived and you could see them with the naked eye just beyond the breakers.

Each year the hotel seems to redo certain areas of the rooms which should keep on top of the wear and tear. I asked the housekeepers about the floor in our kitchen which was chipped and they said it was on the list to be done with a few other rooms on that floor.

The shuttle to the V&A waterfront was very handy. This is a free service, you can tip if you want to. No worries about drinking and driving then.

I would recommend the laundry around the corner. Just drop your clothes off in the morning and collect at 6pm or the next day - not bad at R45 a load.

The staff are all very helpful and the lady on the tourist desk gave us lots of super suggestions for days out and few maps.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 805, with a Jacuzzi and BBQ on the terrace upstairs.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jules0131
Knysna, South Africa
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel is well situated with all the spacious rooms are sea facing. We did not use any of the facilities ( the kitchen or dining) but the staff are friendly and helpful. the hotel could do with a refurbishment - although it is very clean.We swapped timeshare points and were happy with the value we obtained.

Room Tip: higher floors have less traffic noise. We preferred the site configuration where the main bedroom is...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Cantley, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My husband and I stayed 7 nights at the Peninsula. The rooms are comfortable, clean with well equipped kitchen. We did not use the kitchen much but it was still very handy. From our balcony we could watch all the sunsets. The inclusive buffet breakfasts were great. Staff was courteous and helpful. They have on site booking services for tours and activities. That was a great time saving service. Another plus was the free shuttle service to main points in the city. We would recommend this hotel to people visiting the Cape for a couple of days.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
President Hotel
President Hotel
#4 of 6 in Bantry Bay
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#67 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!