“Decent hotel, a bit outdated”

The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel
Ranked #52 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed for 7 nights / 8 days as part of a time share exchange. Rooms were a bit outdated and they housekeeping staff could do a better job cleaning rooms and bathrooms. The location worked well for us, but would not be great if you don't have a car. The restaurant was not very good and the breakfast is overpriced. Several times, the staff failed to complete tasks including wake up calls which became a problem for us in getting to places on time since there were no alarm clocks available for rooms. Also - they even charged our room for phone calls made by the front desk to confirm events for us - very cheap!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We have stayed in the Peninsula Hotel on many occasions. It always offers reliable, clean accommodation. We felt that the rooms are a little out of date until our last visit when they upgraded us to a wonderful double room as our reserved room was undergoing renovations. The new room was well appointed. We hope that on our next visit we will again be pleasantly surprised. It even included a lovely kitchen area for self catering purposes.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kokkelol
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The accommodation was fantastic, with stunning views, and seagulls audible. It is close to the beach and other amenities and I loved the fact that we could cater for ourselves.The staff were very helpful and friendly. The suite was spotless. We loved it so much, we've been there a year ago and we're going back in December 2013. It was home-from home! We loved the two TVs if we wanted to watch different TV programmes when we were there. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: A suite with a braai area and jacuzzi
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The jacuzzi room was so memorable previously I booked a 2nd trip but unfortunately this time my charm didnt get us upgraded to the jacuzzi suite but it was still a great room with a balcony and sea view. The Cape winds and rains were unleashing something terrible (as they do in winter) so we were confined to the hotel for long periods...which wasnt too bad as there is a nice restautrant and bar...and after wandering around I found a church service as well, i dont know if this is a regular feature or just during bad weather periods for guests to appeal to higher powers for better conditions. The location is perfect for exploring sea point to Camps bay by foot and Chapmans, winelands and other amazing destinations by car, taxi or organised tour. Friendly helpfull staff always available. Beware of the seagulls, they are noisy messy and everywhere

Room Tip: ask for a jacuzzi room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve_zaJhb
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our honeymoon. On arrival we were welcomed by a very friendly receptionist who sorted out our bungled booking very efficiently. Our suite had a sea view and was just lovely, with a big double bed, a kitchenette, a living area and bathroom. They had plenty of towels in the bathroom and the bedding was very clean with crisp white sheets. The kitchenette also had a fair amount of crockery and cutlery including an electric kettle and toaster.
Foodwise: Since we were out of the room most days we'd only have breakfast in the hotel restaurant and only ate dinner on the last night. The breakfast buffet had alot of variety and was well prepared. Its also possible to order something else from the kitchen. The dinner fare was great too. All in all nothing to complain about.
Amenities: the pool is rather small, so if you're used to olympic size pools you'll feel rather cramped in this one. It also offers little privacy given that its right next to the dining room so all idle diners eyes will be on you. I cant recall if there was WIFI in the rooms for obvious reasons, being on honeymoon, we'd not thought to carry a laptop! There is a gym, but its also tiny, so working out will be hectic.
Service and cleanliness: fantastic. Every single day our sheets and towels were changed, room cleaned, and all this done unobtrusively by friendly staff.
Accessibility: The location of the hotel is sublime, 10 minutes away from the city center, right by the the beach (not a swimming beach by the way), the Red and Blue route Tour Buses stop just outside the hotel...as do the ordinary buses. I could go on and on as to just how convenient this hotel is.
When leaving checkout was fast and efficient and a courtesy bus took us to the town centre from where we got a taxi or you can catch a bus to the airport. All you have to do is make sure you inform the front desk the night before that you'll need the courtesy van.
Wonderful experience all in all, and we'll definitely be going back to the Peninsula.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We are spending a week in Cape Town and we are enjoying the spacious 2 bedroomed apartment with private entertainment deck and hot tub.The hotel is centrally situated in Sea Point and has spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean.The rooms are spacious and our son has made full use of the gym on the 1st floor,too.
My only gripe has been the lack of wi-fi in the rooms,but other than that we have had a very memorable stay and will treasure this special time together.Cape Town is such a wonderful city in which to be a tourist.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor with a rooftop entertainment area-barbecue,hot tub and sun loungers.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynne R
Reviewed 20 May 2013

What can I say, but we made a mistake and will never do it again. The end of our 10 person group excursion to South Africa ended in May 2013 with 6 nights at the Peninsula. The group was 8 adults and 2 children so we booked a 2 beroom and a 3 bedroom suite to accomodate the 10 of us.

Positives - The view. Located right on the waterfront, our view was simply spectacular and I have attached photo's to show the same.

- The bar staff. Can't remember both of their names, but they were trully brilliant.

Before I start on the negatives, we travelled from Australia so our exchange rate was 1 AUD to 10 Rand (10.13 to be precise on arrival). The 3 bedroom suite cost us 1800 AUD for 6 nights, or a whopping 18,000 Rand for 6 nights, or in simpler terms, about 300 AUD or 3000 Rand per night.

Negatives - I will start in order of check in.

- The entrance gate wasn't working properly on check in and the single desk operator had to juggle a faulty electronic key and the phones to let us in. After waiting at the front gate for 3 minutes, we finally made it to the entrance inside.

- The parking at the Peninsula is at a premium (which you pay for I might add even as a guest who parks your own car at 45 Rand per night). We stopped at the entrance inside the gates to check in. I left my wife and kids in the car (thinking this process would only take a few minutes) how wrong was I. The parking area at the Peninsula when you check in allows one car to park at reception. No other traffic can pass whilst the car is at reception, so the 15 minutes it took for me to check in resulted in a steadly line of (somewhat irate) guests being backed up behind us. Apologies were made and we had the ported take our bags to our room.

- The porter (nice chap), then proceeded to spend 10 minuites opening every door, drawer, turning on every light, turning on the television (at an unbearable volume), turning on all airconditining systems and steop by step explaining how everything worked. As an educated man in my mid 40's, I kind of know how to turn on a light switch and honestly don't need to be shown how to turn on all 17 light switches in the room. Anyway, I tipped him and off he went.

- The hotel in general. We were advised that this place was built 25 to 30 years ago. They must have decorated it back then in a very art deco fashion and nothing has changed since. I beleive reception was renovated recently, but it reminded us very much of faulty towers.

- 3 bedroom suite. Master with double bed, ensuite and the usual. In Australia, this room alone would just scrape in at 3 stars. I have travelled a lot, and this is honestly the highest rating the mater bedroom would achieve. Then we moved onto the other 2 rooms (to sleep 2 adults and 2 children).

- Second and 3rd bedrooms were of an equal size. Both supported 2 single beds (at 5 foot 10, my feet fell off the end). There was a small nightstand and cupboard, but not a lot else. There was a further powder room which had a WC and basin and then another bathroom. This is where things became very interesting.

- The second bathroom had a basin, WC and bath come shower with a plastic shower screen. I mentioned I am 5 foot ten, well I am certainly not overweight to the obese standard and there was no conceivable way I could shower without standing sideways. The bath spout extended into the bath tub to such an extent, you bashed your leg everytime you showered and the cold curtain rubbed and stuck to your body everytime you moved.

- The room looked as though it had not been painted since it was built and when we tried to sit at the dining room table, the chairs wobbled to such an extent that we decided to eat on the sofa instead for fear of breaking something. As we had only been in the room for a couple of hours, we thought we would sample the bar and facilities. At this stage, the room and hotel was not much higher than 2+ stars on an international scale.

- The Bar. Picture a glass room that at capacity could fit 20 people. Picture this space filled with furniture. Picture low lighting and the stale smell of cigarette smoke (if you need more of a picture, drop me a line). The waiter / bar tenders as mentioned were actually very good, polite and had that special knack of remembering ten peoples different orders without writing anything down and getting them all spot on (thanks alot guys).

- Dinner. We only ate dinner twice at this place even though there was nothing much in close proximity. The first night we were there the food was actually palatable. Nothing special but after a long dayb travelling and a few Black Labels under our belts, we were satisfied and went to the room to sleep.

- Ambience. The crashing of waves on the rocks is enough to send anyone off to sleep. Then, the screeching of car tyres, revving of engines and general road noise shattered the crashing of waves on the beach. We were on the sixth floor and it was cold so all windows were closed. This only lasted until about 11pm each night we were there.

- Breakfast. Our room included 2 free breakfasts for the room each day. Not sure how that works when you have 6 people in the room, but alas, that was the deal. The standard fair for breakfast (all you can eat and coffee) that we experienced in our trip from Pretoria to Cape Town and most places in between was about 7-8 Rand per person. Our family of 4 never spent more than 30 Rand and we even managed to walk away at Jeffrey's Bay on extremely full bellies for the grand total of 22 Rand. The Peninsula had 2 breakfast options, each one 8 Rand per person. If you want cold food, that's 8 Rand. If you want hot food, that's 8 Rand per person. If you want one cold selection and then hot for the rest or visa versa, fork out 16 Rand please and don't bother asking if you can just have bread and bacon (that's 2 selections or 16 Rand.

We opted for the hot breakfast and we only did it once. The food was almost inedible. I love my bacon, eggs and hash browns. I didn't even pick up the hash browns as they were soggy and looked like they had been neglected by every guest in the past year. My wife had poached eggs that had so much ninegar in them, she was almost sick.

Dinner- The last point on food was the service. The Peninsula has numerous menu options. Being the classy place that it is, the waitress approached us on the 2nd and last night we decided to eat here and explained each menu. Sfter explaining the menu, she (one at a time) placed the menu in a pile in front of my wife. At the end of this, my wife sifted through the menues like a pack of cards to see what she could order. Would it surprise you if I said the 2 items she wanted from the 4 menues were not available. Needless to say, dinner was had elsewhere from this night on.

- Smell. I have unfortunately left the worst for last. We awoke during the second or 3rd night to a smell of dirty ashtrays and vomit wafting through the room. As none of us are smokers and certainly none of us were sick, we scoured the room to see where the smell was coming from. Alas, all searching failed to locate anything and we surmised tgat another guest must have been ill in the foyer during the night.

On returning the next evening, the smell in the hallway was still there. We advised reception in person of the odour and ststaed it appeared to be coming from a cleaning closet located right next to our room. We were assured that this would be attended to. That night, the smell continued to waft into our room and we were forced to puit a bath towel rolled up at the bottom of the door to stop the smell from coming in.

Needless to say, several conversations with reception and several nights later, the smell was still there. It actually became a joke amongst us all and the kids were putting jumpers over their heads just to get into and out of the room. We played a game whereby whoever lost had to take the room key and run to the door on our return to have it open for us all to run into (I am not joking).

Summary. This hotel appears to be primarily time-share. Alomst all of the guests look as though they bought time share 30 years ago and management has not been willing to spend a singkle cent on refurbishment or maintenance. I have reviewed a lot of hotels and have been to manby more without review and I can honestly say, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. They proudly promote a 2012 trip advisor certificate at 4 star near the lift. I have no idea how they achieved this, but the niko pen on the last 3 cirles did look a little fresh.

Please drop me a line if you want more information on this place. If you are traveling from abroad, please consider other options.

Room Tip: Somewhere within 5 klilometres is preferable. Ask for a room close to ground level (the lifts don...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris G
Peninsula-Hotel, General Manager at The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear: Chris

Thank you for your comments, we take all criticism constructively. Your comments have been investigated and addressed. We believe these are isolated incidents and not the Peninsula's standard, we spend six million rand every year on refurbishment and each room receives a make over every six years. I agree the two apartments your party occupied were tired however the apartment 204 since your visit has gone through a full make over, and is looking spectacular. Regarding the bad smell I have no explanation and would have liked to address at the time. I will be making contact via email to address further and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, this as you can read from past reviews is not our usual standard.

Kind Regards

Bantry Bay Suite Hotel
Bantry Bay Suite Hotel
#6 of 6 in Bantry Bay
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#74 of 112 in Cape Town Central
#22 of 112 in Cape Town Central
Taj Cape Town
Taj Cape Town
#15 of 112 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!