“Mixed feelings”

The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel
Ranked #52 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Peninsula with another couple from June 27th to July 4th, 2014, and our experience provided us with mixed feelings. First, the staff is outstanding. I can't say enough about how easy it was to work with them. The personnel at the front desk were very helpful with directions and recommendations. The room service was the fastest I have ever experienced. Within 5 minutes of my order for coffee every morning, it was delivered. And that raises one of the faults we found with the facility in general. They only supplied instant coffee in the room. There was no coffee maker. In general, the kitchen was only marginally equipped. You will find refrigerator, oven, stove top, and microwave.
My very first recommendation when you check in is ask if you have a choice of rooms. We were assigned to room 806. That room is fine for a family with small children or for one adult couple. The second bedroom was very strange. It had one wall that did not go all the way to the ceiling and a window that was open to the kitchen. I have never seen a configuration like that. The other couple who had that room complained justifiably that they had no privacy. They could hear every noise generated throughout the unit. The bathroom was also not en suite. They had to go into the hallway to enter the bathroom. The master bedroom was fine except it had windows that opened onto the outside hall. That never presented a problem for us because the neighbors were not noisy. But we also didn't want to leave the windows open at night either. The kitchen was too small for more than one person at a time. By far the best feature that room 806 had was its balcony. But the overall environment was simply not suitable, so we asked to be moved to another room. We had to wait until Tuesday to move to unit 512. The only complaint anyone had about the new room was that the balcony was too small. But everything else was very nice. The master bedroom had windows that opened onto the ocean. The second bedroom did have an en suite bathroom. All in all we were much more comfortable in 512. The only major drawback was that it cost us an additional 800 rand (just under $80 US per day). The units that we stayed in and looked at had one thing in common--they were all in need of some serious renovation. The hotel was built in the late 1990's, and it's showing it's age.
They do have a restaurant in the hotel, but we only ate there once--for breakfast. It was an unexceptional meal. All they have for breakfast is a buffet. Limp waffles aren't my cup of tea. The room service menu does not even offer breakfast items--only lunch and dinner. Since we didn't avail ourselves of any other meals, I can't testify to the quality of the food.
The best thing about the hotel is its location. It is within an easy five minute walk to a nice grocery store, several restaurants, and a laundry facility. We had to use the laundry because the Peninsula does not have washers and dryers available and since we were just off a week long safari in Botswana, we needed clean clothes. The laundry we ended up using was very good and not expensive. We could drop off clothes in the morning, and they were ready for us that afternoon.
Back to the location--if you like to walk, it is reasonably close (between 45 and 60 minutes walk to the Waterfront or to Camp's Bay in the other direction. There are some really nice restaurants in both places. The hotel also provides shuttle service to Table Mountain, the Waterfront, and several other locations. City bus service stops right in front of the hotel, and the Hop On/Hop Off sightseeing buses stop just around the corner. Taxi service to the Waterfront is very reasonably priced as well. In fact, we were amazed at how inexpensive everything was in Cape Town.
Overall, I would stay at The Peninsula again and recommend it to friends. I would be very careful about the room assigned to you, though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank johnsond
Peninsula-Hotel, General Manager at The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Mr/s Johnson

Thank you for the review, we do have a full soft refurbishment cycle in process and thank you for the feed back it is noted and we are striving always to improve. Although there is no breakfast menu listed in room service, there are separate breakfast menus next to information folder in all suites these can be ordered from and left on door handle at night with time of delivery and our staff doing floor checks collect during the night and breakfast is delivered to the room. It is often difficult on a buffet style service to keep waffles fresh but the chef on hand at buffet will always make you one from the kitchen if you are dissatisfied. I am glad you would recommend and yes there are 16 different layout in our suites and it is important to specify, the two bedroom apartments where the 2nd bedroom is off passage is ideal for children but not necessarily as private if two adults, we request on booking that you make us aware that it will be 4 adults sharing so that these units are not allocated. We are glad that you would recommend our establishment.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We spent 2 weeks at the Peninsula in June - what views, what luxury, what service!!! We were on the 10th floor with a view over the ocean with Robben Island in the distance. A large pod of whales performed fantastically for us as they slowly swam passed and left with a final wave of their tails. From the patio (and in the heated jacuzzi ) you can watch the bright red sun slowly slide down into the sea or look the other way and see Lions Head. The rooms have everything you need, efficient heating, two televisions, jacuzzi bath inside in addition to the one on the patio, well stocked kitchen and very friendly and helpful staff. It is close to good shops, a short bus ride to the Waterfront and if you feel like some exercise there is a heated pool, an indoor gym or an exhilarating walk along the Sea Point promenade. The weather was excellent except for the evenings when you needed the heating! The sound of the waves (that is how close you are to the sea) and the seagulls all add to its perfection. A wonderful holiday and we will definitely be back next year! Margaret Bastiaans

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor which gave the best views!
1  Thank MRJBFourways

Dear Margaret

Thank you for your compliments they are always well received by the team as we strive to provide levels of service above expectation particularly when the whales come to the party, I hope other readers find this useful.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay there. I was a bit skeptical after I had an issue with the lady in reservations but the manager sorted the problem out immediately and very satisfactorily. Although being a "little tired around the edges" one needs to look past that as it is a really super hotel. I had a beautiful room with a patio and a stunning view of the sea - I was even lucky enough to see whales drifting by in the sea while sitting on my patio. Every staff member that I came into contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel was spotlessly clean. It is in an extremely convenient location - the bus stops are right outside the hotel and Woolworths and Spar are just around the corner. I enjoyed the fact that it was a combination of self-catering and a hotel - I got the best of both worlds. I would go back to this hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I would try and ask for a room where the bedroom doesn't open out onto the corridor. That could...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Archie9898

Thank you for completing the review and positive feedback even if on reservation it did not get a good start, I hope any readers find your comments and tips worth while. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Since we last stayed at the Peninsula, the suites have been renovated. The renovated suites are luxurious, modern and comfortable. This just adds to the already great views and service. Watching the sun set from the suite's private Jacuzzi in a suite is a breath taking experience. The service is phenomenal, we had breakfast served in our rooms while the kids ate in the restaurant, both groups completely satisfied. The breakfast at R90 for either the hot or the continental is great value for a hotel breakfast. Highly recommended.

2  Thank TravelFeetZA
Peninsula-Hotel, General Manager at The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for your review, we are constantly trying to improve. Every suite gets a full makeover every six years, keeping The Peninsula up to date and competitive.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We loved this hotel, staying here for 4 nights in June 2014. The views are endless and beautiful, with the sea breaking on the rocks not 50 metres from the hotel! The rooms are pristine and clean with a clear attention to detail.

From the minute we checked in, we felt welcome and were impressed by the commitment to service that was clear from desk staff to security and porter staff. There is a free shuttle service available to popular locations such as Table mountain, V&A Waterfront, etc. This is a great advantage in the ever congested streets of Cape Town. Also, the public MyCiti busses have a stop right outside the hotel. Parking for private vehicles is at a premium, but the hotel has made the best of a bad situation and offer valet parking from the main entrance to the public (24 hour security) parking area across the road.

As a gauge of service levels, we experienced problems with our TV around 22:00 at night, and upon notifying reception, maintenance had removed, repaired and replaced the TV in 10 minutes. We stayed in a self catering unit, and ran out of milk. One call down to reception and we were provided with milk in minutes for our coffee.

The location is excellent with very easy access to everything the Cape has to offer.

Thank you to all the staff at the hotel for a truly wonderful stay!

Room Tip: There are 10 floors - the higher, the better the view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your very positive review, I hope future guests enjoy your comments and consider visiting us in Cape Town.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week at this very conveniently located hotel. Weather was terrific and we took a lot of walks along the beach in both directions, including a 4-km trek to the popular Waterfront area. The hotel's free shuttle service (reserve well in advance) is a boon and perfect for evening transportation to Cape Town's better restaurants which are located downtown or the Camps Bay strip. Overall, Cape Town is a jewel.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your comments we take customer feedback very seriously, and are striving to improve at every opportunity.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is my third time staying at the Peninsula Hotel in Cape Town, SA. I also brought along 8 others to enjoy as well. Each person in my party was blown away with the service, hospitality, integrity, and warmth shared daily. The Peninsula really goes out its way to aim to please you. And I assure you, they did just that.

It started with Rene S., The Reservation Manager. Rene assured me that she would give us all competitive rates, and that is what she did! The views from the rooms were breath taking. The furnishings were excellent. I even had a private jacuzzi and BBQ grill with my unit!

Jeffrey - Duty Manager and IT Manager was very helpful in assisting me with my IT needs. He got our Wi-Fi devices working in no time, and provided electrical convertors as well. Great customer service!

Adbullah - Duty Manager - was a great help. Adbullah drove us to the emergency room, since one of the ladies in my party had problems with her ankle, and needed immediate medical care after being in Cape Town for a day. We are so thankful for him.

Zolfah and Brynn at the Concierge desks helped me make all reservations, buy tickets for attractions, provided directions to the winelands, and so such more. What a blessing!

The complimentary van service is most resourceful! We save a lot of headache from driving on the other side of road! LOL!

Issaic, Godfrey, Quinton, Mary, and more also helped to make our trip a great success.

As for the General Manager (Mark), he too greated us daily, and made sure all was well.

I would recommend this hotel time and time again. The location is awesome. You are closed to so many attractions and beaches. The views of the ocean on the Lion Head Mountain are priceless!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Peninsula-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for the positive review ... we hope to see you back at the Peninsula again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
President Hotel
President Hotel
#4 of 6 in Bantry Bay
Bantry Bay Suite Hotel
Bantry Bay Suite Hotel
#6 of 6 in Bantry Bay
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#74 of 112 in Cape Town Central
#26 of 112 in Cape Town Central
Taj Cape Town
Taj Cape Town
#15 of 112 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!