“Excellent place to stay”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Cape Castle
Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Crescent City, CA
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 18 December 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in December. The property was nice, and it was nice to know that the car was safely locked up in the basement. The staff was very friendly and the location was great.
If you go by the looks of the hallway then we were not impressed. However once you open the door the room it is actually really nice. There is a couch, chair, coffee table, closet, kitchenette with really anything you would need to self cater and a small refrigerator. The bathroom was nice looking, we did have some trouble because the shower curtain let water through and so the floor was always wet after a shower. We were bummed out to find out that our "double bed" was actually two twin beds pushed together. We were hoping for one contiguous bed.
There is a restaurant in the hotel, and we only ate there for one breakfast. The continental breakfast cost R105 each, and if you wanted an english breakfast it cost R115 each. This was pretty expensive considering what you got to eat. Significantly more than two people would cost at a local restaurant. I wasn't impressed with this, and the food was ok but nothing to write home about. We didn't even bother eating at the hotel again mostly because we bought our own food but also because it was so expensive.
There is a pool area, however on a windy day it is very exposed and very cold. Plus because it is tiled all around the pool it is very slippery when wet. I discovered this myself when I slipped on the steps after getting out of the pool and ended up slamming down on the steps. I could have been more seriously injured but luckily walked away with just a few bruises. So just be careful if you use the pool.
In all we had a great experience at the hotel. It was very nice as it was so close to the waterfront and accessible to nearly everything around Cape Town.
Just a side note, we rented a GPS unit at the airport to use while we were there which was a lifesaver. At the time it only cost R60 per day, which was worth every penny.

• Liked — The self-catering ability, location, friendliness
  • Disliked — Pool, dingy looking hallways,
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank breyman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 6 December 2008

The location is about 5 blocks from the waterfront and the new World Cup Stadium (2010). Facility is clean and the room have kitchenette, living room and TV. Its a great location to make your homebase for daily excursions. The rooms are quiet and the hotel is very secure. You would need a cab to go to the "downtown" area at night, (the downtown area is more for the party-type people). Overall, I thought the hotel was good, but wish the pool was located further away from the restarant area.

• Liked — Large rooms with kitchen and great central location
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank mightygeo
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 22 November 2008

We stayed the last two nights of our wonderful trip to South Africa in this hotel. Although we didn't really have any problems, we are glad it wasn't our first impressions of the country. We stayed in better places both in Cape Town and along the Garden Route.

Cape Town is a fantastic place and wherever you stay, hopefully you should have a great time. We stayed in two other Protea Hotels - Victoria Junction in Cape Town and Knysna Quays and felt that Cape Castle did not match their quality or style. That said, the staff could not be more helpful.

We felt the room, although completely comfortable, was a bit dated and the communal areas are all so small that there is nowhere to go in the hotel to relax other than to be in your room. The pool was cold and overlooks the main road. We also disliked the entry/exit system to the hotel where you had to wait to be let in or out by a member of staff with a key. We felt that coming back to the hotel after dark and having to stand and wait was not pleasant. To be honest it made us feel that the area was a little unsafe although thankfully, we encountered no problems at all during our stay. Better to have these precautionary measures in place I suppose.

From memory, I think it advertised good views from all the rooms but I would argue that one. On the plus side, it is reasonably priced and has a secure car park if you hire a car. The restaurant is limited - didn't particulary enjoy our first meal there and so went to the Waterfront where you cannot fail to find somewhere great to eat in a wonderful atmosphere too.

I don't like to be too negative about this place as we really had no problems but in all honesty we would be unlikely to choose this hotel again as there are so many to choose from in Cape Town.

If you do all the trips going and don't stay in the Hotel very much then you'll be fine and it could provide you with a more reasonably priced accommodation.

Make sure you visit:

Table Mountain
V & A Waterfront
Cape of Good Hope/Cape Point
Winelands
Robben Island
And do the Open Top Bus tour

Loads more to do, but they were our top trips!
Don't pay for dolphin/whale watching - you can see it for free along the coast.

ENJOY AND BE SAFE!

• Liked — Inexpensive
  • Disliked — Entry and Exit to the Hotel, Narrow corridors.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LibbiOxfordshire
Austin, TX
Reviewed 4 November 2008

A South African travel agency booked us for this hotel. It was for a conference, but half of the time was also going to be for leisure. The problems started almost immediately. The hotel was paying the travel agency much less than what we paid the travel agency because of the exchange rate changing. We never saw that money returned.

We were on the 8th floor, but we were told to be sure and hit "6" to get to it. Ok..... We got to the elevators, and one was labeled with a rather permanent-looking sign saying that one of the elevators was out of order, but it was being worked on. It never worked the entire 9 days that we were there.

The rooms were decent. The place is considered an aparthotel, meaning part hotel, part apartment. It was nice to have a kitchenette, living room, and separate bedroom. There was a small fridge, and the kitchenette was stocked with dinnerware and stemware.

The room showed its age. The carpet ended and turned into ceramic tile at the kitchenette, but the tack strips had large nails sticking out of it. It was rather dangerous, and kids would not have known to avoid them. I almost cut my foot open once.

The closet space was ample, and there was a small safe. No key, though, so I guess you had to get one from the lobby desk. There was a one-foot-deep balcony, but the sliding door was broken and couldn't be opened.

We had a rental car, and parking was in a secure garage. There were security personnel constantly patrolling, so we felt it was very safe.

Power outlet adapters were available for a deposit. That was convenient, considering the adapter I had brought didn't work.

Breakfast was included. It was a buffet-style meal, with eggs prepared to order. It was ok, but items that I was used to having chilled were served at room temperature. I didn't like that.

Staff was always VERY helpful. I got the feeling that they were apologetic about some of the problems they had at the hotel. They bent over backwards to help with anything.

The bar was a tiny area, barely 10'X14'. It was also the only smoking area, so one would gag there while trying to have a drink or two.

The location is not great. There's nothing of interest within walking distance, and you had to drive to eat anywhere also.

Overall, this was an ok place, but having seen the rooms of some of my colleagues in other hotels, this place was barely average. Nice, but I don't think I would return to this place.

Protea had its name attached to many hotels, but they apparently only do the marketing and don't manage the properties per se.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — No internet access!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank PhilipNTx

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

manchester
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Great Hotel Fabulous views thoroughly recomended

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Entrances
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Surrey, England
Reviewed 7 March 2008

The Protea Cape Castle is a 9 storey building in Greenpoint, just on the periphery of the Waterfront area of Cape Town. It is an all apartment hotel and caters mostly for short stays but, as we knew its location in relation to the Waterfront, we thought we would have all of our 11 nights in Cape Town here after 10 quiet days in Fish Hoek.

The Protea hotels are always very good – this is the third we have stayed at (the Protea President in Seapoint and the Protea Victoria Junction in Greenpoint being the others), so we knew it would be good quality.

I had arranged our booking through a company called Hotelopia (via the internet - they are part of the TUI group) and got a very good deal. Just before we departed for the first part of our trip I emailed the Cape Castle to confirm when we would be arriving and to ask if we could have a non-smoking room, with a balcony and a Waterfront view, if possible. It seems that we had not paid for this level of room but the person I spoke to, Thersia, was absolutely wonderful and told us she would do her best to upgrade us when we arrived.

When I met this charming lady I felt as if I already knew her from her friendly emails (we had even swapped photos of ourselves and our families) and, when we left the hotel, I knew I had made a friend for life.

So, when we arrived from Fish Hoek, we were absolutely delighted to find that we had been allocated a large suite which took up the whole of the front of the hotel on the 8th floor. We had a large living room (with sofa bed) and separate bedroom, with a bathroom complete with corner bath and separate shower. The view from the balcony was staggering as it overlooked the Waterfront; we could see for miles, including Robben Island. There was even a gas barbecue on each large balcony of these nine front suites. The furniture was modern and tasteful and the beds were comfortable. We had two TVs (one in the sitting room and one in the bedroom) with a good number of channels. The kitchen was fully set up with two hobs, a microwave, a toaster, a kettle, a full size ‘fridge and all the paraphernalia you would need if (unlike us) you wanted to cook. The apartment was always immaculately clean with fresh bedding and towels every day. Thank you, Thersia.

My only (small) gripe is that the hotel’s reception is up a long flight of stone steps. So, as my other half has walking difficulties we chose to go through the garage on the ground floor (not the prettiest of places) and go up in the lift.

There was a small swimming pool with a very small sunbathing area – just room for five sunbeds with extremely comfortable mattresses, and a few tables and chairs but it's a nice area just outside the bar and restaurant to while away a few hours in the sun.

There is a relatively small restaurant and small bar. Breakfasts were very good indeed and included lots of fresh fruit which I have come to expect from my holidays; everything was fresh and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. For lunch or dinner, the menu is quite limited but we had dinner here twice and enjoyed what we had. Their wine is very fairly priced for a four star hotel. We had room service once and it was delivered quickly and efficiently.

The staff were excellent - nothing was too much trouble for any of them, particularly Thersia.

What can I say about Cape Town that others have not said before? The Waterfront area buzzes with activity and the restaurants there always offer excellent value for money. Yes, the Waterfront restaurants are slightly more expensive than the rest of Cape Town, or indeed the rest of South Africa, but it’s worth it for the ambience. Quay Four is one of the best in the upper price bracket (but still not anywhere near as expensive as London) and, if you like fish, The Ocean Basket offers excellent value for money for the best fish and chips you will ever taste. All in all, the food and wine in South Africa is amazing. In three weeks I never had one meal which I did not enjoy.

The trips were, as always, fun and interesting. You must obviously go up Table Mountain (do it when you do the Red Bus trip as the bus stops at Table Mountain and then you can get the next available bus when you come down – much cheaper than a taxi!). You should do a Game Drive (Aquila is our favourite – in 2004 my other half and I were honoured to be offered the chance to hold a six week old lion cub). A trip to the Winelands of Paarl, Franschoek and Stellenbosch is a must – my favourite two are Fairview (where they have goats and a goat tower so offer cheese tasting as well as wine tasting), and Spier (where you can pay a bit extra and stroke a cheetah). The Cape Point tour is full of things to do such as Seal Island and Boulders Beach to see the penguins before you even arrive at the Cape Peninsula. Lastly, Robben Island is incredibly moving, the first time I went I sobbed when I heard what life was like for Mandela and others like him. Wherever you go in this part of the world, the views are breathtaking. The couriers are good and we did not find the trips exceptionally expensive.

So, as an excellent base for your trip to Cape Town and surrounding area, you could not do better than to choose the Cape Castle.

• Liked — The Room and the Reservations Manager,Thersia
  • Disliked — The way we had to get into reception (through the garage because of walking difficulties)
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Brighton, UK
Reviewed 6 February 2008

The Cape Castle is located on Main Road in Sea Point, just a short stroll from the Cape Quarter and about a 20 minute walk from the V&A Waterfront Complex. For future reference, the hotel is also located about a 10 minute walk from the new football stadium currently under construction for the World Cup.

I booked my room through the proteahotels.com website. This in itself turned out to be a bit of a hassle, as the hotel requires you to fax a copy of your credit card and ID in order to confirm your booking. Quite why they should do this when no other hotels do, I have no idea. A tip here: if you are staying for an extended period, buy a Prokard (Protea's loyalty card) from their website in advance which gives a 20% discount for a year. This cost me approx £30 and I saved £150 by using it for my 2 week stay. It also entitles you to complimentary early check i, late check out, and a room upgrade subject to rooms being available. If you book a smaller "studio room", the latter may be of interest to you.

My "luxury room" (room 23) was actually a one bedroom apartment consisting of an open plan kitchen/lounge with small balcony, bedroom, and ensuite bathroom. The kitchen featured a proper fridge, microwave, hob, toaster, kettle, and all necessary utensils. Complimentary tea and coffee also provided. There was a sofa bed in the lounge area, along with satellite TV, and a dining table.

The bedroom featured 2 single beds pushed together and a telephone. The bed was very comfortable with lovely cool cotton sheets and a duvet rather than blankets. Both rooms were air conditioned although the aircon units were quite noisy. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and had a separate bath and shower, although the shower door would not close properly leading to the floor getting wet as previously mentioned. Usual complimentary toiletries provided.

Outside, there was secure underground parking for R30 per day but be careful on leaving the hotel as the car will ground at the exit. The car park is perfectly straight forward to use if you follow the marked route to the exit. There was a small terrace with sun beds on the front of the hotel and a small pool, although this looks over a busy road and hence is not very appealing. This is my only complaint about this hotel really- the busy road outside. The single glazed windows do not help keeping the noise out either. However, I didnt have a problem sleeping as the hum of the aircon units drowned out the noise!

The staff were very friendly although they tried to charge me for the safe key for my room- they are only supposed to charge you for this if you lose the key- so check your bill on leaving. There was a restaurant and bar which I didn't try and they also offer room service until 10pm. Maid service was provided every day.

Overall, this hotel doesnt claim to be anything grand and it's only a 3 star property. However, it does represent excellent value for money for what it is and the size of the room when compared to other properties in the area. For less than most hotels charge for a room, you can have an apartment with a kitchen. I have stayed there 3 times now and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Comfolrtable bed, large room, cheap rates.
  • Disliked — Traffic noise from busy road.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo