“Poor Attitude! Terrible service”
Review of Cape Town Lodge

Cape Town Lodge
Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
East London, South Africa
“Poor Attitude! Terrible service”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My colleques and I stayed for at the Hotel for a conference. The attitude of the front desk was appalling to say the lest. The hotel is geared towards the smoking sector wherein the " bar" known as the cigar lounge is a no go area for the non smoker. The parking facilities are cramped and much to be desired. This Hotel scores poorly on my review card.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank BranerryZA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location if you are a tourist wanting to do Long Street, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and is on the main route to the beaches on the other side of the mountain. Although the decor and general look and feel of the hotel did not tickle my fancy, its ok. The bed was super comfortable and the room had everything one needs when traveling for one night for business.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our company, a UK based oil and gas services company, booked the penthouse suite at Cape Town Lodge with the intention of conducting a number of informal business meetings whilst our directors were in Cape Town.

We arranged a room viewing to ensure the accommodation was suitable and were very clear of our requirements with the hotel staff.

When making our booking we requested if the hotel could supply some additional glasses in the room and were told that they would not do this. Having booked hotel suites all over the world for business purposes we thought this denial of service a bit odd, but it really didn't think it would cause any problems.

A few days later, we were contacted by hotel management who questioned why we would not be taking their conference venue. We told them that this would not be necessary and emphasised that the WHOLE POINT of taking the suite was so we could have informal business discussions.

We were then told "Kindly note multiple people will not be allowed in the Penthouse Suite, this should only be for your private stay". They went on to say "we do not allow any meetings in our Hotel rooms". They then went on to push their conference venue, we declined.

We cancelled our booking and found another, more business friendly, hotel.

A few days after cancelling, they debited my credit card. I have yet to receive a refund or an explanation.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Family_travels_7
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was stayed at the Cape Town Lodge for 5 days. During my stay i had to rearrange my schedule so many times do to the weather and the staff was more than helpful to contact and help arrange more activities for me when i was on my stay. One of the best things i did was go with the company driver and just take a full day trip around the surrounding areas with a very knowledgeable driver who took me anywhere i wanted to go and more. I have recommended and will continue to recommend the Cape Town Lodge to anyone i know.

Thank you for the great experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 14 April 2014

If there is one thing South African hotels need to improve, it is their staff's interpersonal communication skills. Even though I enjoyed staying at the Cape Town Lodge Hotel, my overall experience was totally ruined on departure. On checking-out I was informed by Earl at the front desk that there was a R55 charge on the mini-bar. I told him that my friend and I never had anything from the mini-bar, but he seemed fairly adament that we should pay. An awkward conversation ensued between us and the hotel staff (another man and women next to Earl). I asked him what it was for and he said "a roll of wine-gums and chocolate raisins". I kept telling him that we didn't have anything and soon realised that I had to start defending myself, coming up with reasons to prove that I did not consume these two items. I felt really terrible in this situation and my friend said he would pay the R55 to end the awkward conversation, but I was not prepared to. The height of rudeness was the women who butted in on the conversation explaining to me (as if I was a child or potential criminal) that there are 7 items placed in the bowl everyday and so if anything is missing then we must pay for it. Really Cape Town Lodge? REALLY? What a joke.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Tim S
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel is good location in Cape Town, only 5 mins drive from Victoria and Alberts waterfront where there is great food, shopping and people watching! Cab to hotel was fair (I think like $30ish) although I would rent a car right away if we did it again. Red bus stop is a half a block away from front of hotel and you can buy tix right when you hop on. The bus takes you to the waterfront, table too mountain, all over Cape Town and you can even hop on the blue bus line and do some local wineries! Very good value. Hotel room was dated but comfortable and clean. Pool was very nice but small. Internet which was not free, barely worked so don't bother. This is normal in SA so we just accepted it. There is a subway right next door and a gas station about a block away to get water, snacks etc. Best option for snacks is the woolworths at Victoria and Alberts waterfront mall area. If you do rent a car there is plenty of parking garages at the waterfront and even table too mountain but the red bus is excellent for even a day to get your barrings. Crime is prevalent here and we had 2 kids (maybe 11 years old) try to pick pocket us. They are aggressive and do not stop so I wouldn't walk around unless you are at the waterfront or on the backside beach areas. The good news is that they are very obvious so just keep a look out. Def do not walk anywhere at night! We rented a car a few days in and drove the coast to port Elizabeth stopping at little B&Bs along the way. Best experience of my life and if I had to do it over we would have cut our time in Cape Town short and stayed more along the coast. This hotel is a good value and location for what you need.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The stay at this hotel was entirely spoilt by the bad attitude of the staff. The room was adequate and as we had paid bottom rand for this online was appropriate for what we paid. When we wanted to extend for 1 day they doubled the rate and were very rude about it. when we checked online a couple of hours later it was cheaper than what we had originally paid. No wonder they cannot get normal rates for this hotel nor can they afford to hire decent staff!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!