“Decent”

Ranked #66 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Oslo
“Decent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Compared to other three star hotels it was okay. We were a bit disappointed about the wifi that did not work and the gym was a disaster. But Central location, friendly straff and clean room. We did not get The chance to enjoy The pool at The roof, but it seemed like a nice place :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Monrovia, Montserrado, Liberia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at the Inn on the Square from December 18, 2013 to January 2, 2014 to celebrate Christmas and my milestone birthday. I was joined by six of my family members and we had a wonderful time. The location is just ideal as it is in the center of town and more importantly there is a craft market in front of the hotel. That was awesome as we were able to shop and drop of our purchases at the hotel without feeling too overwhelmed.

The service was excellent and the staff were very pleasant. Ally at the front desk, David and Riyaas our drivers were quire pleasant. I had a wonderful time in the gym, swimming pool and sauna located on the 8th floor,which overlooking the Table mountain.

The hotel, should however, look into the cost of transportation to and from the airport as we found it to be a bit high. I plan to stay there on my next trip in the near future and would recommend Inn on the Square to anyone going to Cape Town!!

Room Tip: Please ask for a room overlooking the craft market!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Pretoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at the Three Cities Inn on the Square in central Cape Town for three nights before leaving for our honeymoon, and unfortunately we will most likely not return. The hotel is very clean and modern, with a good location and a beautifully rich history, however the service lets it down so much that all this beauty is practically lost. The service was mostly unfriendly and unhelpful, which creates the impression that training is lacking. Although the breakfasts were nice, the service was lacklustre and the staff appeared disinterested, unfriendly and at times rude. As one example, we checked out early on our last day and could not exit the hotel because the door was still locked. When we requested that the receptionist sitting close-by please open the door for us, we were instructed to signal the security guard outside ourselves and arrange that he open the door for us.
Attention to overal detail and service would go a long way to ensuring that guests return to this beautiful hotel.

1 Thank Antoinette N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We can't thank Linda enough, who met us as we checked in, and the staff of the hotel for really going out of their way to look after us. We booked 2 nights, and on hearing that we were getting married, gave us a really lovely room, sent up a bottle of champagne before we left and decorated the room beautifully whilst we were out getting married. The breakfast was great, the location superb (they also offer a free shuttle bus service to the Waterfront several times per day), anf the rooms excellent value for money. All in all an excellent experience and highly recommended.

2 Thank PGTCook
mauritius
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Everything was nice, the staffs and the location. Chef Cyril was very kind and offered excellent breakfast. Room was big for single traveller, internet access very rapid except there is no minibar in the room.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Anishta B
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

the hotel is nicely located close to Long Street and lots of good places to eat around. Also there is a flea market in front of the hotel.
The staff in the restaurant and rooms is very friendly and helpful, not so the staff at reception so.
On arrival with a rental car, we were informed that the parking is two blocks away and that it is standard procedure that the concierge park your car, BUT you have to pay an additional R 70 per day and that they are not responsible for any damages on the car. However I was ensured, that if the car would be damaged through negligence on their side, they would take responsibility. I parked the car with one of the hotel staff to find out where it is and also you can not get in and out of the parking yourself. Two days later, when I requested the car, after 45 min. the car was not there and I was asked where the car was parked as they could not locate it. I then left the hotel to be in time for an appointment without the car and made an alternative plan.
On check out, I asked them to return the car, which they did on time. We did not check the car then. On return of the rental car, we realised that the car had a large scratch over the entire passenger side. Big enough, one would realise when scraping against something. I spoke to the manager and wrote an e-mail to solve the situation, as the car was clearly damaged in their patronage, the minimum would have been that the hotel informed us. A week later, I have still not received a reply or even an acknowledgement.
Further on check out they overcharged my colleague on her credit card and were unable to issue a tax invoice for the amount paid. They also refused a late check out by one hour, which has never happened to me before.
In short nice hotel but dishonest concierge staff and non responsive to the request. Definitely never again with a car.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lanakuchi
johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel certainly is located in the heart of cape town cbd. Besides the flea market infront of the hotel there is also another flea market within a 10 minute walking distance near Mandela Rhodes apartments. I entered my room to find a white hair on the bedside table and a fly buzzing around the room. When I looked out the window I noticed that there were lots of flies outside. Ive been to cape town 5 times but this is the first time that I didn't feel very safe at night. Other streets seem to feel safer at night much more than this area. The hotel room itself is smart, having been renovated in 2011, the bed was comfy, bedding of a good quality and feel. Good size tv in the room. Room service menu is overpriced. Aircon works very well and is silent. I could however hear noises from the other rooms. The bathroom although neat and clean is quiet small with only a shower and no bath tub. If u require parking for your car it is 2 blocks away and I highly recommend that you DO NOT park the car by yourself at night. Rather let the concierge park your car and they will keep the key for you. If you prefer to park it yourself take one of the staff with you for safety. The swimming pool located on the 8th floor is small but has some heating to it as I felt the water but did not go in. the gym is basic and small but should suffice I guess. The entire hotel itself is a national monument dating back to the 17th century which you will read about in the hotel guide in your room. Eastern Food bazaar is within a 5 minute walk from the hotel and is much cheaper. The last time I was there everything was under R35. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and the reason I gave it 4 stars. Bottled water was only given to us on the first night. Note that room service closes at 10:30pm as I got back too late to order. I will recommend this hotel but just take precaution in this area.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the flea market but on the 6th floor or above
1 Thank es786