“Fabulous”

Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Ranked #30 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed in a Business Class room which was enormous, with spectacular sea views, a wonderful balcony and free high-speed internet access which was very important to us. We had the choice of a Waterfront view but prefered the sea view, watching the ships go by. More of a suite than a room, with the ability to separate the bedroom from the living area, it was very comfortable and had everything we needed. We had big issues with the cleaning and it took four complaints before it was finally done to a satisfactory standard. After that we had no further problems, although it was quite annoying having to repeatedly ask for amenities which were not readily replaced. Every other request was dealt with promptly and followed up by a call immediately after.
Breakfast was exceptional and we were spoilt for choice. In good weather, sitting outside at the water's edge and watching the birdlife, dolphins and seals playing in the water, you could not ask for a more perfect setting. Also a perfect spot for sundowners. The location is excellent and by day, it is a short safe walk to the Waterfront and The Grand Restaurant. We thought the hotel was fabulous and were sorry that due to other commitments, were not able to make more use of the facilities. I am surprised and disappointed by the negative reviews as I am usually a tough one to please!

Room Tip: Book a sea facing Business Class room
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bld211

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Friendly doormen but that's about it. Room had stained old carpet view was horrible! Food was good but service was a joke. No one went out of their way to make you feel special or on vacation. Spent way too much money but we had planned this trip for over 9 months so we were stuck. Please don't stay if this is your first trip to Capetown or Sotheby's Africa. They even charge for the breakfast. Had an issue with the telephone light in our room no one fixed it and the curtain was always falling off the wall!! Glad we had plans to stay in other fabulous places in George and also Mt. Nelson was soo much better!! We will never recommend this place to any travelers who want luxury or something special. Go to table bay hotel or someplace else; they only like you if you are a business traveler !

Room Tip: Have no idea how to get a good room
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ctheworld02
Reviewed 9 April 2011

This hotel is amazing! We had waterfront views, it's a short walk to shopping restaurants and night life! The hotel was very accommodating to us and helped with everything and anything we needed!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Most things are really good, like the location and the kindess of the staff.

However it is a 5 star establishmnet and you expect something extra. Small details are not working. The for instance the Minibar (took a few hours to get someone to fix it and some extra phone calls). The breakfast itself is very good with a wonderful view if you sit outside, but the staff is to eager to move the plates from the table. I was alone and I had orginized a nice plate of cold meat and chees plus bread and butter, when I had to fetch som juice. When I came back the plate was gone. The same thing happend with my coffe cup. It also disappear before I had the chance to have a second helping from my pot. But it is worth a stay for a least one night.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2011

I've been staying at the Radisson Cape Town on average about 4-5 times a year over the past 8 years. It has the best location, right on the water, and is central if you want to get to town for business or Camps Bay for leisure. I pay business rates, which makes the stay very worthwhile - I think normal rates, in season, are a lot higher. The "normal" rooms look out on either the mountain or the new Soccer stadium - they are ok, but you're not going to stay in for that view! The sea facing rooms are really lovely - right on the water, with the most stunning views of the sea. These luxary rooms were re-furbished for the World Cup last year. I have never had a bad experience with the cleanliness, and I've stayed in many hotels all over the world. Room service is varied and good - wines are quite expensive but this is the case in most hotels. I like the fact that the baths are completely separate from the showers.

Breakfast is very good - varied with a fantastic choice of fruit, yoghurts, cold meats and hot buffet. Service is ok - yes, I've had to chase once or twice for a few things. I've never encountered a rude waiter.

Check-in is always quick - I often arrive late after a flight, and I call before to reconfirm my booking so that I don't lose my room, as hotels always book just over maximum occupency. Every time I get to my room there is a letter waiting, and often a little tray of chocolates or dried fruit, and a drink.

The spa looks lovely although I've never had a chance to use it. The pool is also stunning - views of the ocean are amazing!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone - business and leisure travellers - it manages to cater for both!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel for two week ends in Jan & Feb 2011. The hotel in itself is good, with an excellent location and service. The swimming pool especially is great, as is the view for ocean facing rooms and the breakfast in front of the Atlantic Ocean. However rooms in themselves are ok but nothing exceptionnal and I didn't sleep that well with their bed. Besides the rate is clearly too expensive for what it is. 400€ / night is just not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I have stayed in many hotels in many countries, but I have never come across a hotel boasting a five star rating , where we have been subjected to the most appalling service. Service levels are below what one would find in a 3 star establishment, with staff becoming almost aggressive when anything is queried. Waiting 30 minutes for a drinks order is the norm here and even longer when you decide to order some food. Their excuse? We are busy! Go figure. We almost had to wait in line to complain about the food, rooms and service; like a scene from Faulty Towers.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple