“Perfect location for visit to Cape Town”

Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Ranked #31 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Radisson Blu Hotel was the first hotel of our 3-week honeymoon. The reviews on tripadvisor were very inconsistent and we both decided to not expect the world from this hotel. We were pleasantly surprised.

We arrived around 8am in the morning, well before check-in. We were invited to have breakfast at the hotel while they sorted out a room. There was plenty of choice at Breakfast and we sat outside overlooking the sea. While having breakfast they advised that a standard room would not be available, however they had a upgrade room available and offered it for a very reduced price. We gladly accepted.

The room was a couple of floors up and the balcony overlooked the sea, habour and table mountain. Amazing views. The room was a large and of a high standard and everything you'd expect from a hotel of this kind.

The hotel had a outside swimming pool overlooking the sea (which we didn't use due to the weather), a well equipped gym and a extremely small indoor pool. The service from staff was somewhat inconsistent. We recieved superb service most times but this was let down by some members of staff who didn't appear interested in being there. There was a shuttle bus to the waterfront which we used on many occasions, contrary to other reviews, it was quick and regular.

If we returned to Cape Town we would certainly return to this hotel due to its position in Cape Town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ratey

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed in the Radisson in December 2011 for 2.5 weeks and in two different rooms, so I have a pretty good feel for this hotel. I was on business, but because I was there at the weekends, I can also rate it from the leisure perspective.

What is good: the staff are very friendly; the location is excellent. It is a safe walking distance from the V&A Waterfront, and there is a lovely walk (or run if you are into jogging) going along to Mouille Point, the lighthouse, and so on. This is highly recommended.

I at first stayed in a room that overlooked the entrance (back to the sea). This was a reasonable size but the decor was dated. It looks like it needs a revamp. The room is suitable for 2 adults, but definitely not enough room for children. The major plus side (ironically) of overlooking the entrance is that you get the sun. But on this side my room did not have a balcony.

I changed rooms to a 'business' room on the other side overlooking the ocean. These rooms are spacious, with lovely wooden flooring and are a completely different world from the standard rooms. There would be no issue to have kids stay in this (I mention kids as I have 2, so can imagine easily if the room works or not). The parents section can be closed off with collapsible doors. The view of the ocean is tremendous. But, as noted above, this side faces North, so actually you don't get much sun (if any!) on the balcony. For reference, my room was above the pool, so not some room to the side. The pool is a thin strip which is ok, but again, not really much good for small kids.

The beach here is big giant concrete barrier blocks; actually quite ugly, so don't expect any walk on the beach.

The main reason I marked this hotel down was for their poor restaurant service. On no less than 3 occasions I ordered food and nothing arrived after a good hour. I even complained to the Manager, and there was no apology, or any attempt to make up for it. When you are staying for 20 days, you'd think they would make an effort. And that was something else: even after so much time, no one could call me by my name; I have seen many other hotels even after 1 night they remember who you are. The evening restaurant is often only partially full or rather mostly empty, which doesn't bode well.

The gym is fine and very useable. The indoor pool is tiny and frankly useless.

As I had a hire car, I used to park my car in the garage (but you have to pay to park - which is a bit off considering how many days I was staying).

So who would this hotel best suit? Basically businessmen and couples who will spend most of their time enjoying the wonderful restaurants and sites in cape town. There is absolutely no reason to stay and eat in this hotel, and I don't recommend it. It is, however, a perfect location to explore everything, and I would recommend having a car as taxis become expensive. If you are a family with young children, forget it. There is nothing for the children to do, or to run around. I rate the rooms as poor to average: standard - outdated, often no balcony, but with sun. Business rooms: balcony, view of the sea (great), no sun (or just for a few hours in the morning).

Room Tip: Definitely go for the business rooms, but recognise you may get one with no (direct) sunlight on the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Adoli
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Our visit was the first stop of our honeymoon and we had our 15month old daughter with us. Right from the first moment we arrived to be greeted by the valet parking service, the reception we had was fantastic. We were a couple of hours in advance of check-in time, but the room was ready within half an hour, and in the meantime we were offered a free drink in the bar and had a ten minute welcome from the guest services manager (Paul). Paul continued to be a huge help throughout the whole stay, organising babysitting and plenty of treats in the room to keep us happy!

We had a Sea Facing Business Suite -- a huge suite split between a large double bedroom, even larger lounge area and a huge bathroom -- it would easily house a family of 4 or 5, and the views out to sea and over Robben Island are superb.

Location wise, you can walk quickly (and safely) to the Waterfront complex within 10 minutes so it's ideal. The breakfast spread was fantastic (the best we had for the whole honeymoon - slightly better even than the 12 Apostles) and the seafood BBQ buffet absolutely gorgeous.

Will definitely stay again next time!

3  Thank Si_Bailey
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a trip with Great Rail Journeys. We had upgraded to a business class room as I wanted the balcony and we were not disappointed. The room was absolutely huge. The bathroom has a separate shower cubicle and bath and 2 sinks. There is a large lounge area and the sleeping area can be closed off from the lounge. The balcony overlooked the sea, the marina and the pool and we were able to watch dolphins playing in the sea. We also had a great view of the Queen Mary as she sailed into port one morning. We were also given a complimentary drink on checking in. Everywhere in the hotel was immaculate. Much has been said about breakfast but we actually ate dinner in the hotel for 3 nights as the position was so beautiful and the food was delicious. Unusually for hotels the price of food and drink was very reasonable perhaps as they are so close to the waterfront and need to compete. As with previous reviewers we found the staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go for business class room if you can
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I had a good stay here, my second on business. Staff all extremely helpful and very friendly. My room was a standard room facing table mountain (requested a sea facing room, but there was no availability due to it being high season). The room was perfectly adequate and very clean. Housekeeping was great and room service was prompt and polite.
A good hotel with a great location - it's staff make it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Generaly very pleasant porters, doorman, concierge and reception- big smiles and warm welcome. Cashiers miserable and unapologetic when mistake is pointed out. Rooms: we were on second floor in a regular room with a partial view to the sea.. Negatives: very poor cleaning, toilet bowl limescale stained, soap dish full of old soap on arrival till departure, carpet dirty, chairs upholstery badly stained. Curtains have a big tear and are hanging poorly. No hairdrier in the room, i requested it it did not come. The next day i dried my hair "au naturel " and mentioned it to concierge, he was apologetic - evidently he reported it but nothing happened. Hairdrier appeared in the afternoon. Maintenance: both sinks blocked, reported several times, did not solve the problem. Toilet leaks constantly, I reported it several times - nothing done. Grouting in the shower and the silicone sealant around the bath done by a total incompetent. Horrendous. Silicon still attached to granite wash basin top. A day after we arrived a board covering AC access (on the ceiling) fell down and landed on the floor in front of TV about a meter away. We called maintenance, the board was damaged but they put it back on and fixed it with two nails. We were under impression that it would be repaired on our departure as that might require major work. On our last day we asked for 2 hour extension to our departure time which was not granted as they have " an arrival" Meaning no maintenance - the room will stay the same. On a positive side: the bed was firm and we had excellent sleep , AC worked very well. Breakfast is quite good, a slightly bigger bread sellection would be fantastic but otherwise the choice was very good indeed. Seating outside was a problem as almost all tables were in the sun (due to the fixed umbrellas, somehow they just could not get the tables positioned to make the best of the shade. The cleanliness of the bar area is problematic, the chairs seem to be strewn all over the place looking untidy and therefore inviting odd behavior by people... Feet on the tables, rubbish dumped etc...real shame as the bar and the restaurant location is really nice. With adecent management one could do good things there. Alas management is seriously lacking . I would not return.

Room Tip: I understand that Business class rooms are excellent, they have been renovated recently so they woul...
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Business class room, balcony, view, were all outstanding. Beautiful decor, spacious room. The appearance of the entire hotel was appealing - a touch of art deco, and the general appearance felt like it belonged in South Africa - not just a generic chain hotel.

The traveler should know that the restaurant draws people from the community, so don't expect that on a weekend night there will be an outdoor table for you when you come down from your room. I would suggest checking with the gracious restaurant staff earlier in the day. They were very helpful. Buffets at the restaurant are extensive - much to choose from and good quality food. The only problem with the restaurant is that the music is so loud, it is difficult to carry on a conversation with those at your table. We noticed others, also, leaning and cupping their ear. It's not a band, but a person running his musical equipment. Frankly, I think the restaurant would be better off to forget the music. The scenery of the Atlantic Ocean at our feet is all the entertainment we need.

The people who ran the once per hour shuttle to the V&A Waterfront were quite accomodating. Housekeeping and desk staff were also pleasant and helpful.

Other than the constant loud music in the restaurant and bar, the only other flaw was that the elevators were a bit difficult as your room key was needed.

Room Tip: Choose Business Class. We didn't see a standard room, but from everything I have heard, Busines...