“Nicest hotel in the Cape” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town

Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Ranked #31 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Toronto, Canada
“Nicest hotel in the Cape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel sells out often, so book early. I stayed here for the second part of my Cape Town trip. The hotel is well maintained with very pleasant security at the gates. I found the staff to be on the ball.

The pool was beautiful with a lovely view of the Atlantic. The bar was well stocked and the drinks were top notch. They were a little pricey, but made to perfection.

I had a room of the parking lot (not sea side) but it was still lovely. The shower had plenty of pressure and instant hot water. The free wifi access was brilliant but a little to slow for Skype. It had a fully stocked mini bar and free bottled water.

The hotel had a free shuttle bus to the waterfront that ran until 2315 return to the hotel.

Avoid the taxis without a meter like the plague. On the meter you should pay around R30 anywhere within 2 miles. I recommend unicab. The flat rate drivers will charge R50 and transport you in dodgy cars with African AC. Do not get into a shared taxi!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Debra S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear realdees,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback.

We are most pleased that our hospitality contributed to your extraordinary experience and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when next your travels brings you to Cape Town!

Debra Sivertsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tokyo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I can't recommend this hotel if booked through a discount website. The hotel itself is great and of a very high quality, however I always hate booking through discount sites because too often during your stay you are treated as such. In this case, there was no choice as it was New Years and the hotel's own site was sold out, there were only rooms available through a couple of other discounters.

I'm actually a Club Carlson Gold Elite member and they were aware of this when I checked in, however I was still put in the absolute worst room in the house. I arrived early and did pre-check in at about 10:00am, they said I could pick up room keys in the afternoon. This was fine as I knew they were busy and wouldn't have rooms ready early. When we arrived back at the hotel later, we were taken to the room by the porter (who handled my luggage quite roughly in my opinion). The room didn't seem to be a normal room but rather a makeshift room to use up once empty space. It was on the ground floor with a window looking directly into the spa, no outside view at all. Needless to say I don't want to watch people in the spa and I'm sure they also don't want me looking out on them while trying to relax, the spa also plays music which was loud enough to be disturbing in the room. Directly across the hall from this room was a room used by hotel staff who were incredibly noisy starting early morning. I went back and complained about this room quite strongly but they insisted that all other rooms were full now. (now, when I checked in earlier why as a Gold member did I get put in this poor room while presumably other guests were put in better ones the same day? Because I booked through a discount site I suppose.I don't expect to earn points since I didn't book directly but I do expect to be treated as a valued elite member as other chains do regardless of your booking method)

The next morning I got a call from the desk manager and said I'd be moved to a room on the 4th floor that day, just to pack our suitcases and they'll be moved by hotel staff when the room is ready. Instead I return to the hotel in the afternoon to pick up the new keys and instead was moved to the 2nd floor (marked as 1st floor in their numbering system), the new room overlooked the driveway and valet area. This was not any better from a noise standpoint as just after midnight on New Years Eve, everyone was leaving the party and driving their cars away or having loud conversations in the parking area. We had an early flight and I wanted some good sleep before leaving but it wasn't possible in this room.

Finally when I went to check out the clerk asked about my stay and I was brief but honest... was only given an I'm sorry, no offer to do anything. I understand that perhaps they can't offer refunds or point compensation because the booking was prepaid through another site, but no offer to even comp my parking fee, absolutely nothing other than a hollow, I'm sorry. They advertise a satisfaction guarantee, but perhaps that only applies if you book directly through their site. In a supposed 5 star hotel this was not how I expect to be treated and it's not how I've been treated at other chains. Even chains where I don't have any status (SPG for example) have treated me great when staying in this tier of hotel.

Room Tip: Insist that you're on a higher floor. There are a few rooms on the ground floor that are downrig...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fish10ds
Debra S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear fish10ds,

We appreciate you taking the time to deliver your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Being a Club Carlson member I can assure you that you are a valued customer and we will be certain to not have these issues reoccur.

I am aware that you are in direct contact with our Executive Assistant Manager, Marcel Eichenberger who is attending to your issues experienced at our property.

Wishing you the best for 2014 and looking forward to welcoming you back when in Cape Town.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days over Christmas and found the accommodation and location to be excellent. The hotel is positioned in a quiet and safe locality overlooking Grager Bay and a short the V&A waterfront shopping centre and numerous restaurants.
The rooms and bathrooms are a good size, with windows that enable fresh air to enter the room. The breakfast and bar areas are a great place to relax and enjoy the views and the gym is of reasonable size and well maintained. We found the staff and concierge to be very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick L
Dear Nick L,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront we would like to thank
you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you
back to Cape Town!

Dorridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed over xmas period. We had a business suite with sea view which was worth it as we stayed 7 nights- if you can do similar.. Room quality was good. Concierge services were excellent , very helpful in advising and booking restaurants. Food quality for breakfast was good and it was a delight to eat out on the terrace. Managed to book into the Xmas meal at short notice otherwise we would have trouble finding somewhere. Plenty of choice but they ran out of turkey which i can understand as all South Africans had been telling us they don't eat it. gym was good , bar area disappointing as its cold and not pleasant to sit around. Housekeeping service was poor forgetting towels, replacement consumables or bringing up late or not at all. Location is 10 mins walk fro v&a

Room Tip: Go for business site/ sea view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear PaulinDorridge87,

Thank you for taking the time to deliver your comments and sharing your positive experience with us and other viewers.

We glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with our facilities.
So happy to hear we could assist you with a booking for our Christmas lunch as well!

Your comments about the housekeeping have been noted and we have addressed the issues mentioned.

We look forward to welcoming you back when next your travels bring you to Cape Town.

Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We checked in for 5 days over Christmas. Our daughters' room had an air conditioner that did not work so we spent some time trying to work it all out the first night to no avail. The hotel graciously (after a gentle nudge) moved us to superior rooms. They were FAR superior and I would say they are worth the price differential. These rooms had a spacious living area and view of the bay. We never heard any noise from the hotel or other rooms despite a very open hotel layout. Breakfast buffets had a wide variety of offerings and you can sit on the terrace right next to the water. We were an easy walk from the waterfront shops and restaurants and there is a great area to run adjacent to the hotel 10+ km. I would both recommend this hotel and stay there again on a future visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear happyfamily_of_4_USA,

Thank you for taking time to deliver your response and sharing your experience with us and other viewers.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission and therefore so happy to hear your issue with the air conditioning was resolved so swiftly.
Please accept our thanks and appreciation for your feedback and hoping to welcome you back when next in Cape Town.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Even during their busiest season this hotel offers warm, friendly and hearfelt service overlooking one of the best views of any hotel in Cape Town (if you take the sea facing business class rooms - otherwise a mountain view and sit on the deck looking for dolphins).

It is more of a famly style hotel with a casual frel not stifling luxury. The furnishings are simple and a bit soulless but the staff, service and viee make up for it.

Dear 5StarVagabond,

It was such a pleasure reading your review - thank you.

It is of great importance to us that our guests have a memorable and welcoming visit, with that personal touch that truly makes you feel that you are at your 'home away from home'.

We are greatly pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights whilst on a business trip.

The hotel is in a great location, right on the water with views of Table Mountain and Robben Island and I could see some dolphin in water.

I had a standard room which don't have a balcony so I would recommend upgrading to a higher room grade if you can. The room was quite small but fine for me on my own and there was lots of towels, a fridge (bit dirty), good size TV with a decent selection of channels including some film channels. The shower in the bathroom did keep clogging up so the water was leaking over the side of the cubicle. There is turn down each night and a complimentary bottle of water each day.

The pool area is gorgeous with really comfortable sun beds and towels arleady set out to use there. There is watier service at the pool although it can be a little slow. I had my lunch there and a couple of drinks and it was not expensive.

I also dined in the restaurant one evening and also room service on evening too, the food was nice and again reasonably priced. There is a nice area to sit outside and have a drink too.

The hotel is only around a ten mins walk to the V&A which has lots of nice restaurants and bars as well as a shopping mall. The hotel also runs a shuttle each hour to the V&A and back and this runs until 11pm.

Room Tip: standard rooms don't have a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Hotel-Guru-Kat,

Thank you also for the positive comments about our hotel, location and dining facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014!!!