“Blissful stay”

Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Ranked #30 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We weren't sure about staying here initially & compromised due to cost when looking at some of the more expensive hotels within the V&A - it was our honeymoon so wanted something extra special. We also upgraded on the bay hotel in camps bay for the second part of our stay which was average- overall the Radisson blu was the better choice and cheaper by far & we are so glad we stayed here rather than in the V&A. It felt like you could leave the noise and hustle of the waterfront but be close enough to get to it by walking (5 mins) or by the shuttle bus. The hotel had a great lounger area & infinity pool, a serene view over the harbour watching all the cruises-we even saw dolphins one day! You could eat breakfast outside every day under the umbrellas which was lovely. The rooms were large and modern (we upgraded to a sea facing) and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating.
Only recommendations would be for a more frequent shuttle service -every 30 mins maybe? It seemed like the driver just sat in the van for 45 minutes waiting for the next trip. Also more options of food on the restaurant menu (although the food was delicious but limited in variety).
We would definitely return when we come back to Cape Town, a great base to explore the city but also to relax in.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lgreen4
Debra S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Lgreen4,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon when in Cape Town.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Wonderful business class room with huge terrace overlooking the pool and ocean super comfortable massive bed ok so he mini bar is a little expensive but it's a 5 star luxury hotel and u must try the Sunday lunch buffet for R265 the variety of dishes and most them of the healthy option I was impressed. And the service couldn't have been better a smile from the front door all the way to the pool bar. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank bernie182
Debra S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear bernie182,

Many thanks for taking time out to write this review of our hotel. We are pleased we could share our beautiful property and staff with you.

Your comments is duly noted and have been passed on to everyone at the hotel.

Wishing you a great 2014 and looking forward to your return at the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed at the Radisson for one night in January on my first visit to Cape Town. It couldn't have been better: welcoming staff, fantastic location, attention to detail, excellent room. I had a business room which is basically a mini suite with lounge, bedroom and bathroom - overlooking the marina. Eating outside on the deck area with the waves breaking close by was perfect. And, of course, if you're a visitor to Cape Town/SA, the prices are also incredibly reasonable.
It's just on the edge of the Watrerfront area (close to the main football stadium) and that means it's nicely away from the bustle of the main tourist area. But, less than 10 minutes easy walk round the bay, and you're right in the centre of things! A 10/10 experience. The staff were excellent and helped with the smallest things, ie tracking down an adapter for those strange SA round pin plugs!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Business if you can. It's worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ginge21

Dear ginge21,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here at the hotel.

Your kind comments about the staff and their attention to detail and hotel location are appreciated and have been passed on to the rest of the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was our first experience of a Radisson Blu hotel and we were very pleasantly surprised by it. This is an attractive, modern and airy building which is manned by helpful and attentive staff. We were upgraded to a Business Class room, which was large and well appointed, with a lounge area that was bigger than the bedroom. The lounge had a good sized flat-screen TV (although we never watch TV in hotels so I have no idea how well it worked), a Nespresso machine with complimentary coffee and there was a narrow balcony looking out over the marina.

The bed was large and comfortably firm. The bathroom was very pleasant with lots of hot water at a good pressure. There were twin basins on a good-sized vanity unit and the bath was comfortable (but a bit short for guys). There was also a very good shower in a good-sized shower cubicle.

The bar downstairs afforded expertly made cocktails at around £4 each, made by friendly bar staff.

We ate at the restaurant in the hotel and the food was good, although their stock control seems a bit ropey because they ran out of both the popular fish and the most popular wine (I'll avoid the temptation for biblical allusions). Breakfast was very good, but the best thing of all was their coffee, which was the best I had tasted for a long time (and, as it turned out, the best in all the hotels and restaurants we visited in South Africa).

The hotel's location (which is not downtown) does not make it easy to walk into Cape Town proper, but there is a complimentary shuttle bus to take you to the local waterfront shopping mall, which is very large and varied in its range of shops and eateries. Also the open-top city tour bus has a stop very close to the hotel and you can hop-on and hop-off from that any time you like. However this tour bus only goes in one direction on a large circuit, so if you want to go back to the hotel from town on that bus you have a long journey ahead of you.

All in all we found the hotel a very pleasant experience and we would stay there again if we ever revisit Cape Town.

Room Tip: Obviously, sea views are most desirable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidGarfield

Dear DavidGarfield,

Thank you for your positive and great review on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable beds(have to agree with that!) as well as our other guest facilities.

So unfortunate to read about the restaurant running out of items you wished to have ordered, but that gives you a great excuse to come back and try it out next time ,when in Cape Town.

Many thanks for your kind comments about our staff and is appreciated and will be passed on to the team.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

after returning a little more than 2 years after my last visit to the RADISSON two weeks ago, I was truly astonished.

I felt like I was away for not more than a couple of weeks. The same faces, the same friendlliness, the same smiles
and the same great feeling!

I travel the world for most of the year. I see many and many hotels and rooms and staff and buffets etc -
but to come to breakfast and after two years, the chef behind the stove, she knows exactly how I liked my
eggs Benedigt. The lady serving the tea in the morning knows that I like my lemon on the side...

The Maidre ( He looks like Norman Freeman - I always think he is an actor - amazing personality) remembers even words we spoken.

The restaurant is a pleasure, the food absolutely distinguished - the spa a pleasure and a retreat, where one can
find himself again. The rooms - I had a business class room - are such a delight, it´s better than any drugs,
to open the window and fall asleep with the sound of the ocean.

And then to finish of, your frontdesk - wow!!!

All I can say to you, that you are very very lucky to have such great people working for you and the RADISSON -
but maybe they are like that because the RADISSON does not only take car of it´s guest, but also of it´s staff.

Please forward my appreciation to all!

Congratulations!

I hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: the seaview rooms are the best - fall asleep with the sound of the ocean!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank th0mas1960

Dear th0mas1960,

What a great welcome back you had.

Thank you for having time to write this review and sharing it with us and other viewers.

When I started reading your comment about the Victor, our sommelier, I actually have to agree that he somehow resembles the actor.

What can I say about our breakfast ,except that it is always a hit and so very impressed and happy that they knew exactly what you liked.

It is always such a pleasure to receive compliments for the staff and I am pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was my second stay here, and it was thoroughly disappointing. My company paid R4400 a night, I have status on Club Carlson, and I got what has to be the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in (room 102). This is the type of room that should sell on a clearance website for $100 a night. Pathetic showing from what I thought was a decent hotel based on my last stay. I won't be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bwgs888
Debra S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear bwgs888,

Thank you so much for the time taken to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront.

I do appreciate your constructive feedback and am truly sorry you feel this way about our hotel rooms.

I would appreciate it if you could forward your contact details to marcel.eichenberger@radissonblu.com and allow us to making it right.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

The family & I went to the Radisson's for drinks and snacks to relax and watch the Sun set. What a experience the service that our waiter gave us was top class, the snacks where well prepared & a good variety. There Cocktail menu has some interesting Cocktail's. Let's not even talk about the view (breathtaking). It looks to me that it is very popular with the local's, good to see.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CarlosCru
Debra S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear CarlosCru,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

We are delighted to receive your compliments about the service at Tobagos restaurant and will certainly pass this recognition onto all.

Will have to agree that our location is one of the best in Cape Town and so glad we could share the views and great food with you and your family.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!