“Glad to have found a value-for-money Hotel in Cape Town”
Review of The Ritz Cape Town

The Ritz Cape Town
Ranked #99 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I used to frequent this hotel in the 1970s and 1980s when it was still a grand four star hotel. I love the location, magnificent views, close proximity to ALL MAJOR HIGHWAYS taking you out of town, bypassing the CBD away to all the counlless splendours of one of the SEVEN MODERN WONDERS OF THE WORLD. I agree, the place needs a drastic face lift. There were three floors of students from French Africa to study English - they've left and on my last visit I was more relaxed and could enjoy the grand views from my room. I previously complained about stuffy rooms, but during my last visit - 17 - 20 Aug.,2012, my room smelt fresh. The doors are rather thin, not solid core, so noises from the passage can be disturbing.Your view on the Atlantic seaboard is across well looked after building street blocks of the wealthy retired. You are close to hopping on the glorious RED BUS with different routes where you can hop on and off to your heart's desire, with earphone guidance as you explore this great CITY.
This is value for money so enjoy it and forgive the small discrepancies. If you want to spoil yourself, visit the revolving restaurant at the top, which I discovered decades ago!

Room Tip: ALL ROUND VIEWS are yours to be had so the higher the better. This is Three Anchor Bay and much more...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Where do i start with this so called hotel. Firstly, as i do an awful lot of international business travel and have done for the past 15years, this hotel has become the number 1 on the list of awful hotels i would never stay at again, the other being the Premier Inn in Brighton UK.

When i first checked in, around midnight, i was actually greeted by a happy receptionist, but did think the decor was a bit dated. But as long as the room was comfortable i wasn't overally concerned.......I should have been.

After checking in, i amusingly labelled the hotel Fawlty Towers (this title is in fact unfair on such a classic comedy show), but the hotel room was so dire there was no other way to describe the place. 1) the room key was old fashioned and the door was very easy to open with a plastic card! 2) there was a 3 inch gap from the floor to door which allowed a good breeze to come into the room along with its own distinct whistle! 3) The TV was almost ancient, not quite a remote on a string as it had no remote (which meant getting out of bed to change channel), but the fact that the wall bracket wasn't hung correctly actually meant that the screen faced the ceiling! 4) there was just a net curtain covering the window, and behind it double glazing consisted of cling film over the window that was peeling off! 5) the bathroom was kinda modernised but i think the towels weren't fresh and 6) the safe didn't work!...... however this is where the fun starts!

The following morning, as i was holding a business meeting in a quiet spot in the foyet, we were approached by a couple of ladies who proceeded to offer sexual favours to us.....to which the security guard had to come and chase them away advising them that they were only allowed to solicit guests from Friday evening to Sunday evening, this was a Thursday morning! It doesn't end here......

The following morning, i received a knock on my door at 07:30 with a voice saying it was house keeping, i opened the door to only be accosted by another prostitute asking if i wanted servicing.....

On the day of check-out, I thankfully was not accosted by any prostitutes, but didn't appreciate having to walk past the junkies by the lifts whom were enjoying a good smoke!

Needless to say, i wasn't asked if i enjoyed my stay when i checked out, and there is no point in me writing about the breakfast service, as when you have to go into the kitchen and help yourself to cups and plates etc, there isn't much more to say!

I wouldn't put my worst enemy in this hotel. Its only plus point is the fact i had a room that looked out over Green Point Stadium, Mouille Point and the harbour and that view is one of the best in the world.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank jmn_sprint
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We arrived at this hotel to be given our room key by a rude individual on reception. No warm welcome or smiles.
The room was filthy. There was blood on the curtains and stains on the carpets. My husband walked into the bathroom to find a dirty pair of knickers on the floor! The lampshades were filthy and the hotel make a big thing about security however the room safe did not work! The sink was also blocked. Thinking it was maybe a bad room we asked for a different room. We were then moved to a suite which was just as bad. Stains on the walls and half the room had no electricity! Very dated room and on one very windy night we thought a loose window was going to fall out! Our beds were not made for 48 hours and we were given no fresh towels.
We had originally booked this hotel for 9 nights but due to its disgusting state we left after 4. No apology from staff and at no point did anybody ask why we were leaving or wanted to move rooms.
Avoid this hotel at all costs. Myself and my husband have travelled world wide and are by no means fussy but this hotel was the worst we have ever stayed in. I cannot understand the positive reviews it has received on here??!! Beware!

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank MarieJM84
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This hotel is conveniently located, but it has seen better days and is in dire need of maintenance, as leaking roofs and wet-carpet smells attest. This could have been forgiven, but there were just far more negatives than positives. My absolute low point was, being berated by the kitchen manager in front of other guests, including many foreign visitors, when I enquired about vegetarian options. In the end we went across to the Woolworths and bought something to eat. A staff member agreed to warm up one of our party's soup, bringing is back to the table in a polysyrene container! Whether you have special dietary needs or not, the food was unimaginative and monotnously repeated from day-to-day. It was undoubtedly re-served too as grizzled carrot sticks would reappear at breakfast from the night before. The alcohol was inordinantly expensive and none of the staff seemed to know even the basics about wine (this is the Western Cape after all). I can say that the rooms seemed clean - if you don't peek under your pillow case - but I must also report to having seen a cockroach in the dining room and noticed plates (room service) in the passageway that remained for days. The place is certainly not quiet and, the conference facilities are really sub-standard (e.g., serving Oros for refreshments). Not even the revolving resturant (devolving?) could save this dive.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are a little small, but we are only there to sleep. The breakfast was good, and the outside patio for the pool was awesome. I wish that the weather was hot enough for a quick swim. Both the front desk and the Airport Shuttle office were helpful and nice. They allowed us a late checkout and a place to store our luggage as our flight was later in the evening. I wish this hotel had an ATM or a cash-exchange desk, but it is not a problem as there are ATMs around town. The only negative point that I had with this hotel was that we asked for a late checkout (noon) and were called 2-3 times to checkout (well before noon). I'm not sure if the morning shift knew we were checking out late, but it was annoying to answer the phone when I knew I still had about 1/2 hour until noon. However, this small annoyance does not change my opinion of returning to this hotel. I love the area of Seapoint and this place is perfectly close to Beach Road and the little shops/restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is a stunning location for a restaurant. It is obviously on the top floor of the Ritz shaped as a huge glass
dome.It revolves very very slowly giving clients wonderful views over the whole of cape Town, including the bay and table mountain. Ideally eat close to sunset, and watch day turn to night as the city lights take hold. During the course of a meal you will revolve 3 or 4 times.
The menu is very extensive, and compared to the UK is very inexpensive. The food is outstanding.
Highly recommended if you are visiting Cape Town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank jbparker66
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I have just completed a one week stay at the Ritz. I travel a lot for my work and have stayed in many places all over the world and am reasonably accomodating of differinging standards and forgiving where hotels might be having one off problems but my stay at the Ritz was simply a horredous experiance. Like the last commentator I can confirm that floors 5 and 6 were popoulated with a heavy Marijuna smoking group I find this espicialy distrubing given a choir group of young girls were aslo staying at the hotel.

I did not have the same experiance with excessive cockroaches as the last commentator but the room supplies were a problem ie I didnt get a replacement toilet roll for two days - this is not the fault of the cleaning staff (who were fine) but I suspect managment who are scrimping and saving ie you only get two coffee satchels and one tea and if you need more you need to request that from management.

I will also add that while I was there I was violently ill and while that can come from many sources I have my suspicions.

Anyway its a shame to see what I understand was such a grand hotel in the 70's fall into such a debilitaed state.

All up a horrible experiance

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business