“If you are a tour operator avoid this hotel!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz Cape Town

The Ritz Cape Town
Ranked #92 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“If you are a tour operator avoid this hotel!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

We just spent 7 days in this hotel with a group of 31 senior citizens and we are appauled at what we found! Cockroaches, cigarett burns in the basins< blood stains on the bedding to mention but a few things. Nobody was interested in helping or listening to our complaints! Most dissapointing as we stayd here 3 years ago and it was excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank jbrits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St Neots
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

My husband and I were booked into the Ritz for the first three nights of our honeymoon, when we arrived we were not near many restuarants and certainly didnt feel we would want to walk to the ones that were about.

The staff were very friendly which makes this a hard review to write but genuinely I am not sure which rooms they had photographed on the website because ours did not look anything like what we had imagined we had booked.

The interior is at best dated, at worst badly kept and not at all appealing - we checked out having found an alternative within 30mins.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Amy S

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

All six of us (our group) were very worried befor getting there, when we read a review about the Ritz like ”Never, ever again…” How would a hotel like that be? And cleanliness valued to 1(5)?

Now we can tell. Now we have been there. It’s a long review, but don’t miss the last information. I won’t tell you that this is a 5-star-hotel, that wouldn’t be true. But how on earth can you expect that from a 3-star hotel?

Of course I had read all the reviews, so we knew what to ask for. So we got three different rooms on different floors, one of them a corner room. The corner rooms are smaller, but there is more light and view. The other rooms are big with sofas and an armchair. All these rooms (floors 7,8,9) were refurbished and very nice. They even had some kind of flowers in the rooms. There were kettles for coffee and tea on the desktops, complimentary soap in the bathrooms plus shower soap etc.

No one of us could complain about the beds. They were comfortable with two big pillows. The sheet were changed into new ones every third day and new towels every day.

Big wardrobes with enough hangers plus a safety box.
Car parking available for R50 per night (& day).
And now about the breakfast that was said to be horrible. It was NOT! And do remember that this review means SIX PERSONS! The breakfast was sufficient, like any other good hotel breakfasts: yoghurt + cerials, much fruits, boiled, fried and scrambled eggs – whatever you’d like, or maybe pancakes, fried pork and tomatoes, good coffee… Clean, good service – what more can you ask for?

The reception service was ALWAYS (13 days) nice, friendly and efficient.
The doors and walls are very thin, so it's not a totally quiet hotel.

Now I’ll comment on what surprised us most: One day we left CT and stayed over night elsewhere. When we left our room we forgot to lock our safety box. We left it wide open with Amex card, money, tickets, jewelry all openly disposed. We were desperate, but couldn’t do much. Imagine our surprise when we found it all as we left it. Nothing touched. Besides that, was our room always perfectly cleaned, by this wonderful cleaning lady. Her name is Tulani. (Now I was a bit wrong; when Tulani had a day off, the room was not so clean and things were missing. But when we phoned the reception, they immediately brought new towels and coffe to us. The other rooms were not 100% clean either, but maybe 95%.)

We were very astonished that some persons value (rank?) this hotels by 1(5) as others put 5(5). How is this possible? Firstly, how do I rank(value) a 3-star-hotel? If I put 5(5) does it mean that it is like a 5-star-hotel? I do not think so. I rank (value) a 3-star- hotel as a 3-star- hotel. That’s why I can put 5(5) if I think it is as good as it should be.
Secondly, there are many floors. Some may not be refurbished.
Thirdly, if you can, try not to ARRIVE at weekends. The hotel seems to be quite full then. All is fine all the same, but you might get a better room if you don’t.

Summary: We were very pleased with the hotel and we’ll be back, say all six of us!

Some good advice: If you want someting nice, try to be nice yourself in the first place.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a refurbished floor. If possible try not to ARRIVE at weekends. The hotel seems...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AroundTheWorld000
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I must echo the other terrible reviews attributed to this hotel, and I fail to understand how it manages to get any favourable comments whatsoever. Sadly, we had booked and paid for this hotel a number of weeks before our travel from the UK so the option of a change was not open to us on arrival, as we would gladly have taken that course. Nothwithstanding that after a long flight, and car rental difficulties at the airport, we arrived hoping for a pleasant welcome. Nothing could be further from the truth - as soon as we attempted to check in, there was a kerfuffel at reception; a manager appeared and told us that they had over-booked the hotel & they didn't have a room for us. We were informed that we must go to a sister hotel in downtown Cape Town for the 1st. Half of our stay, & return for the remainder of our holiday. Somewhat astonished, we complied, only to
discover that the "sister" hotel did not have any outdoor area, no double room, no suitable parking & was in a veritable dangerous area where one would not go out at night. We returned to the Ritz &
insisted on being accommodated, which 'miraculously' produced a room!
Oh dear, what a room! Old dodgy lock on the door to start, leading to what can only be described
as a 'chamber of filth'. Carpets were dirty & sticky, bathroom hasn't had a good clean in years,
particularly all of the tiles around the bath. No dedicated shower, stand in the bath & try and direct
a poor jet from a loose shower fitting & hope for the best! There was no shower curtain of course &
hence followed the usual flooding of the floor, with only lukewarm water to boot. The toilet cistern
gave up flushing after a day, and was only acheived by a plunge of the hand into cistern itself (in
the inspection cupboard).
We slept with lights on & eye masks, as we all know cockroaches are reluctant to face bright
lighting, and there were many of them I can assure you. Whilst the view may be grand, there are
umpteen places in Cape Town you can get much more impressive views. Beware the windows,
they are so thin, and have been in place for years & years, there is absolutely no way this is safety
glass; too much of a lean and I fear 20 stories can easily be viewed on the way down to your
certain demise!
Service at this establishment is atrocious, the chambermaid was downright argumentative with my
partner, just because they are of the same race I was told. It was more ' a lick & a promise' than anything that could be described as cleaning. The incompetence of the staff was staggering, all
seemed to wander in blind ignorance of what needed to be done, by whom & when - take your own
directional and management skills with you if you end up here. As is my habit in all hotels I stay in I
always make it a habit to befriend the bar manager with a large tip on the 1st. drink & you will
learn all you need to know. The hotel was apparently unable or unwilling to even produce a bottle of vodka for the bar for the entire weekend; that is if you could find anybody to serve you anyway. He had only been there 3 weeks & was happy to impart that the hotel was battling with staff problems, guest problems & problem prostitutes! The hotel lets, on a permanent basis a couple of floors to Nigerian students who do nothing but cause mayhem - they seem to migrate to all floors, have very loud parties with dj's in the rooms until the early hours, and bring along a hoarde of prostitutes; we felt constantly threatened and unsafe.
Breakfast is nothing short of a joke and a lesson in how not to run a breakfast dining room. It is an ordeal frankly & be prepared to have your patience firmly tested; you will find cereal, but no bowls or milk, juice but no glasses, toast & no plates, hardly any cutlery anywhere, be prepared to hunt - not a teaspoon in the entire building. Guests at breakfast will include a number of pigeons allowed to fly in from outside (they know their way around) totally ignored by all staff who make no attempt to address this problem - these birds will fly around the bread basket and stalk you around your tables for whatever they can get, it is apparently acceptable & a source of amusement for the staff.
Overall, the Ritz is anything but, if you use the name as an adjective; it's dirty, tired, badly run, not good value, unsafe & unacceptable.
Sadly, I can find no redeeming features for this establishment & it does a great disservice to the great city it purports to represent, it's considerable stature more akin to casting a poor shadow on the environment than providing a great view!

Room Tip: Go as high up as you possibly can, and view the room first!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank roger j
south africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I don't even know where to start.... It is such a pity that I did not read the traveler reviews before our stay. All the reviews on here sums it up pretty well. I have stayed in many "budget" hotels in Cape Town, and they far exceed the Ritz. This hotel is terrible. Point. The only thing they rely on, is the view, which I will admit is great.
None of the staff who works at the Ritz want to be there. There is no greeting or smiles in any department. I felt uncomfortable most of the time. We stayed 3 nights. The corridors smell of stale smoke. There is parties on some of the bottom floors with lots of drinking and smoking, open doors with music blaring out. Half dressed drunk guests in the lift ... On the second morning there were a full on riot in the lobby with a gang of guests shouting and shoving the manager around. This lasted for about 20 mins, I hid behind the sofa's as I thought some knife stabbing will follow. I also wanted to phone the police. This incident left us quite shaken. Nevertheless our room was paid for, so I locked my elderly, terrified, mother in the room as I went out to buy some water.
The linen was crisp and clean. However the matresses were hollow and worn out. There was blood on the bathroom curtains. The shower curtain is 20 cm too short, so with every shower the bathroom gets soaking wet. There was a broken glass rack hanging from the bathroom wall. The cupboard door was broken, TV not working properly.
Breakfast was by far the worst in the world. You have to scour around to grab cutlery from other tables (if you are lucky you might have a fork) There is only 1 salt pot in the whole restaurant. Sideplates are non existent . Tough shoulder bacon (the cheapest cut) clings together in the shafing dish. Raw corn souffle, soggy fruit from the day before, and canned beans.. also do not ask for butter, as staff will get very offended. (They also seem to think that margerine is indeed butter)
All in all, a terrible experience. Never again.
What bothers me most, is that none of these reviews get tended to by the manager of the hotel, or the group. Do they even care?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank pikachu3456
channel isles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

The overall stay for a 14 night deal with emirates flights was terrific. I stayed on the 11th floor of the hotel with magnificent views of Lions head mountain or high hill in front of my window to the left, and on my right was the views of the sea and coast line, and Robben island where Nelson Mandella was held in prison for many years.
Just inland from the hotel with more fabulous views is Table mountain, and to the left of that is Devils peak.
The revolving restaurant on floor 21 of the hotel has wonderful food and is really reasonably priced, and I am talking large fillet steaks for £12.50 and ostrich steaks and kudo, which is a type of deer or antelope, and of course large tiger prawns and other seafood all of which are good value compared with all other places I have been to in USA, Canada, Australia, and the uk.
But all of Capetown is good value when it comes to food,but the staff in the hotel were all great and the breakfasts which were part of the deal were terrific, and quality food and as much as you needed.I cannot speak more highly of the place, and would recommend it.

Room Tip: The higher the better, the views are fabulous.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo