“Awful service”

Ranked #95 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Perth, Australia
“Awful service”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We waited 1 hour from our designated check in time, to find our room with 2 single beds and a sleeper couch after requesting a double bed! The towels are dirty and frayed and I wished I walked out instead of paying!

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We recently stayed at the hotel and the rooms are far below average. It seems that it is delapidating and barely upgraded. there was a horrible smell at the room corridors. The aircon is horrible and we had to stay with the miserable sound through the night. The room amenities were not refilled every day and we did not even have a phone in the room.

Room Tip: Maybe choose a room at the higher levels eg. floor 19 or so although i am not sure if it will be bet...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ElizabethGeo22

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed at the Ritz between 24 and 27 Dec 2013 and below are the listing of the turn offs despite the decent breakfast:
1- My booking clearly indicated that I needed a deluxe room but I was given a room with 2 beds so my wife and I had to sleep in separate beds in the same room
2- The children's room had cockroaches and despite raising this issue, it was never addressed.
3- One of the ladies at the reception was refusing to deal with guests issues by creating technicalities. For example if you reported an issue with your room, you needed to report it twice, once for every shift of workers.
4- The same lady told lies to guests. For example, I requested to have room changes and I struggled to get this done for 2 days. I was originally told that the hotel was fully occupied and when I asked to see the manager, I had 3 rooms to choose from in a space of 10 mins.
5- The towels were old and the air conditioning in the children's room was not working.
6- The bathrooms do not have air extractors so they smell.
7- ....and the biggest joke of all, someone booked a bill to my room and when I asked for proof that I incurred the debt, I was promised a resolution by email. No mail has been received from Ritz.

If Ritz was my business, I would replace the management before I renovate the hotel. There is an urgent need for sound leadership at Ritz.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am presently staying at the ritz, been here for the last 10 days i only read the reviews after i had booked & was worried about what i had let my self in for.
I have stayed in London St giles , las Vegas tuscany suite & Beijing at the swissotel so i am not being naive in saying for the price you cannot beat the ritz.
Yes the decor is slightly dated but it is clean, the staff go out of there way to accomadate you, the breakfast is superb full English & contental
What more do you want are you here on holiday or are you like the people wrighting these complaints sitting in the rooms
There is a new bus service "myciti" frequent bus to all parts of the city but you will need a card which you can get at the airport cost 25 rand this is a must as it is the most efficient way to get around
Hope you enjoy your stay & join me in voiceing your views on this hotel

Room Tip: Take the rooms on the top floors, yes it can hot in the summer so draw your curtains when you leave...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MichaelCurry
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We booked through Expedia and made the mistake of relying on the name Ritz and the star rating of the hotel - both misleading. Here is why we will not recommend this hotel :

1. We were stuck in a west facing room with unbearable heat for about an hour due to a broken AC. We did get a new room eventually but not without calling the reception at least three times. Also, the AC is central and makes a ton of noise when switched on.

2. The bed spreads and towels in the new room were torn and shabby. Each day we would receive two towels in a room with three guests and we would waste time calling the reception to ask for more.

3. The bathroom fittings were very old and making the flush and shower work was a task in itself.

4. We had new guests at our door late one night trying to check into the same room and the reception calling at 1 am to ask when we were moved to that room.

5. Parking is a nightmare. We had to park in non designated spaces on quite a few occasions.

6. There is no free wifi. The best you can get is 30 mins in the lobby at very slow speed.

The complimentary breakfast is good and most of the staff is courteous and friendly. However, on the back of the experience we had, I would advise people to stay away.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sajal C
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Recently stayed 3 nights during the festive season.
Granted the hotel is a little on the old side with old fashioned decor, a few loose fittings and tight bedroom windows, however the view from the room is spectacular. For a 3 star hotel, all needs and basic requirements are met. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are divine an certainly fuel you for the day ahead. The pool deck is marvelous and spacious.
An overall enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-facing room when booking. It will certainly "wow" you!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

The Hotel itself appears on first glance to be ok but I find the devil is in the detail. And the detail here was very poor. This hotel is in desperate need of a renovation. The reception appears ok, but it is the rooms that really let this place down. Below were just a few issues.
Torn net curtains
Lightbulb out in main room
Toilet holder broken
Shelf in bathroom hanging off
Bathroom tiles mouldy
Safe not working every time
Soaps replaced by shampoo?
Hole in one of the pillow cases
Stains on towels and bed sheets
Double room had two single beds put together
Sewer smell from the bathroom
Peeling ceiling tiles
Chipped paint coming off walls
Main reception helpful but not particularly welcoming
One or two of these things on their own aren't the end of the world, but all together, just ruined the stay
Breakfast which was included was ok
Having stayed in a few places travelling around SA, this was definitely the worst, and a massive let down at the end of an otherwise great holiday
FYI the Hotel is near Seapoint but these beaches are not sandy. Everything however is within 5 to 10 mins cab drive, including Camps Bay (sandy beach) and V and A Wharf
I accept that this Hotel is a 3 star but I have seen better at a Travelodge, I would not stay here again

Stayed December 2013