“ok”

Ranked #95 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Hong Kong, China
“ok”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My room had very nice views , check in was a bit haphazard , the staff need to improve . Overall i was happy with my stay . I enjoyed the breakfast , a great selection , coffee could improve . The revolving restaurant is worth going to .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have very much enjoyed my stay at The Cape Ritz Hotel. All of the staff from the Manager down to the cleaning staff have been very helpful. The staff at the desk and at reservations have made me feel most welcome. The views from the rooms over Cape Town, Table View and the Ocean are tremendous- quite unique in the city. The revolving restaurant is unique in all of Africa.
My room was very nice , well maintained with a beautifully tiled bathroom and large bathtub. The room was nicely air conditioned with various levels of cooling. The bed was very comfortable. There was a television with various channels. The swimming pool and area with nice lounge chairs is very attractive.
The food is excellent. There is a wide variety of foods offered at the large buffet breakfast.Included are fresh juices, fresh fruit, yoghurts, a choice of cereals, various types of breads which can be toasted, pastries and muffins with fresh butter,margarine and a selection of jams and honey. Also there are hot foods with eggs and omelettes cooked to order, bacon, fish cakes, potatoes, tomatoes, baked beans and mushrooms. A selection of teas and coffee is served as well.
The hotel is very well located right in Sea Point - the well known holiday centre of the city- and the new City bus system is a two minute walk away with these modern buses traveling all around the city and to the most important visitor locations.
Altogether I find The Cape Ritz Hotel to be an excellent place to stay and very well located in Cape Town for an enjoyable holiday experience.
Thomas- visiting from Nassau Bahamas

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ALAN M
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My trip to Cape Town started really bad when another hotel somehow lost our reservation and found us a room to accomodate us at the Ritz. When I read the reviews online I freaked out of course but then I was surprised how the trip turned out. We had issues with the room they first gave us so they made sure they upgraded us to one of the best rooms in the hotel with beautiful view and comfortable beds. What was the highlight about this hotel is that they provided their huge conference room free of charge for a charity event I was doing for street kids in Cape Town. The management and some of the staff also attended to support the kids. They also called guests at the hotel and invited them as well to help me get more support for the children. It was great to see such support from people whom I just met.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sara K
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Manual check in system, no updated list, no access to online system, could not locate my reservation, extremely rude was the night clerk, slack and unprofessional, sloppy, lazy, unhelpful.
No concierge, no directions where to park
Foyer smells of cigarettes and stale food
Front desk manned by one man who is sloppy, unkempt, no manners
Front desk is shabby, messy, disrepair
Phone ringing incessantly, so that the night clerk spent long minutes on the phone, ignoring us (new guests trying to check in).
Told my name is not on list and then ignored for 40min
Two other guests, one with two small children also treated the same
Only once they started making a fuss did he start trying to verify who's booked in which room, find confirmation
He complained that he only gets a list: if your name is not on that list you are not a guest and no rooms are available. Never mind that all of us could verify that we had paid online and payment and booking were confirmed by the hotel via email - clerk said he could not verify the payments of bookings.
He kept on insisting that the hotel is fully booked, that online bookings can only 24hours for it to be confirmed and must be paid for prior to check and that the hotel only gets emails after 24hours
Only after I called booking.com, having kept us waiting on the phone for 14minutes, did he finally consent to speak to the booking.com agent
Following that, an hour and fifteen minutes later he finally conceded that my reservation was confirmed, then asserted that I had to pay upfront to check in
Finally, reaching the room: carpet smells, tv screen is hazy, makes a high pitched sound, bedside lamp broken, surfaces are dusty, windows only dressed in lace curtains so by 6am the room is like a sauna, a bright blinding sauna with no place for respite. The sun shines directly into the room, which has no natural ventilation and an ancient AC. Has to move bed as I was greeting sunburn, found dirt (food) under the bed.
Curtains are dirty. When neighbours flush toilet or use show, you can hear them. You can hear every single word spoken in the passage and in the next room.
In the morning, when I checked out - insisting on a refund of payment for the second night - the two managers at the front desk added insult to injury by pretending that everything was fine and that I was overreacting. To date, I have not been refunded as I refused to spend one more night in a fleabag that masquerades as a respectable hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Streetscapes

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good location , ideal for short stay, revolving restaurant on the top floor with nice view, live music.
The hotel is dirty - a bit used, managemenet does not take care. Safe in room did not work. I do not recommend to longer stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PeterParaczky
Luton
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is well located a short walk from the sea front and a good walk or short taxi ride from the V&A Waterfront. The reception staff were all very helpful so finding our bearings at a new location was easy. They have their own tourist office to arrange any trip or book a taxi (take the advice of the hotel staff about taxis, don't use the first one to turn up!). Breakfast offers plenty of choice and can be taken by the pool if the wind isn't blowing too strong; the staff here are all very friendly too. Close by are an inexpensive launderette and internet café and there is a free and well-equipped outdoor gym with water fountain by the sea front.

The bar was often noisy in the evening and closed far too early and on one occasion we were told to finish our drinks by reception on the floor below.

The Rotunda revolving restaurant on the 22nd floor is a must-visit with a lovely menu and wine list. I did find the attitude of the staff a little disconcerting, as if the panorama is enough to sell the restaurant and they need do nothing to support its reputation - they did just what was necessary. Nearby restaurants are o.k. so we ate mostly at The Waterfront where we were never disappointed.

Room Tip: Most rooms offer a good view of either moutains/hills or of the sea. Ours was a corner with windows...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

First time reviewer. I don't normally write reviews but had to in order to spread the word about these horrible accommodations. Over the last 13 years, I've stayed in over 40 hotels/motels/hostels, all over the world (usa, France, london, ireland, Amsterdam, India, Thailand, Canada, Latin America, etc. ) and this has to be the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. The room looked and felt like a mix between a college dorm and a hospital room. The walls were pure white and the bed linens were dirty - I literally slept in my clothes. The windows were cracked open with the wind and rain permeating through preventing me from sleeping. The electrical outlets didn't work, the wireless wasn't functioning, and the toilet was eerily Medicinal like. This experience ruined my first night in Cape Town and my first impression of the city. On top of all the said, when I asked to cancel the remaining two nights on the reservation, the hotel wanted to charge me 860 rand (approximately 86 usd). To be candid,I would have paid 1000 usd to cancel. Stay away.

• Stayed March 2014