“Great time at the Commodore!”
Review of The Commodore

The Commodore
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My Mother, Niece & I just returned from South Africa & had an awesome time! While in Cape Town we stayed at the Commodore. Overall our stay at the hotel was great! The room was comfortable, the breakfast buffet was awesome and the wait staff was impecable. Some of the front desk staff & management seemed a bit stuffy & standofish; one young man at the front desk ingored my neice to take a phone call when she asked him a question. Another one would not give her a Cape Town Tour book when she asked for one for my Mom, another staff person was kind enough to give her one. The work out room was nice, but small, only one treadmill, one elliptical, etc. We had a great view of Table Mountain from our room and the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront was right around the corner; we walked right to it. For the price & quality, I'd definately stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a good hotel but certain staff in breakfast need some training in service standards . They forgot to bring green tea and toast and had to be reminded . At check in ,my room telephone did not work and wifi did not work also, both repaired after reporting . Also some confusion in bar on billing drinks

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights in October and couldn't fault the hotel. It's just couple of minutes from V and A Waterfront. As others have mentioned breakfast is really good. We found all the staff really happy to help. Room on second floor was spacious with everything we needed for our stay and very quiet. Travel staff were on hand to suggest and book trips. I would definitely stay again if i visit Cape Town in the future which i hope i will have a chance to do.Thank you to all at The Commodore for making our first visit to South Africa such a pleasure.

Room Tip: Room 2063 has views over Table Mountain
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjandd
Reviewed 8 October 2013

If driving from the airport, this is easier to find in daylight as the route in from the highway is a little convoluted. However, the location near the Waterfront is perfect. For a large hotel, the service was remarkably personal, with staff recognising you and providing a polite greeting. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. We had a room overlooking the courtyard (a little noisy some evenings) but friends had a great view of Table Mountain. Awesome. Breakfast was very good indeed and on the one night we ate in the bar, the food was also extremely good and great value for money. The valet service for the car was efficient, speedy and an economic option at 75 Rand a day. I would definitely use this hotel again when staying in Cape Town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel has it all, location, comfort, great food, amazing staff, low prices. It is without a doubt one of the best hotels I have stayed in and one I will definitely use again. I thought the breakfast was particularly good and the front desk staff friendly and helpful with any and all questions. No issues with noise for us as the room was overlooking the pool. Not sure if it has a spa but if it did we did not use it so cannot advise the quality there. I am sure it would have been up to the high standards the hotel had for all other services.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sandrapauwels
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My mom, sister, and I stayed four nights at this hotel. We had adjoining rooms. The rooms were nice and very clean. We had a beautiful view of Table Mountain. Service was great, and the staff was very friendly. The doorman was a nice touch. They had a great breakfast buffet and the best coffee. Excellent location, within walking distance of the V&A Waterfront, filled with fantastic restaurants and shops galore! We felt very safe. The only negative thing I can say is that the pigeons (or seagulls?) outside of our window never slept, but we got use to them :) We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The Hotel is located steps away from the waterfront.

It was not that great to me. If I was with family I will think if I will go to this hotel, but I was there on a business trip.

One thing for sure is if you are facing the waterfront the seagulls will be crying all night, and you need to take ear plugs with you. Don't ask for the waterfront view.

In general its a standard 4 star hotel, and nothing which caught my attention.

They have a good buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Dont ask for the waterfront, there will be seagulls crying all night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The Commodore, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank your for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. I am however sorry to hear that you found it difficult to sleep with the sound of the Sea Gulls in the area. It is indeed a personal preference but part of the nautical experience and of course the Table Bay Harbour ecosystem.

With your next visit, I would suggest that we allocate you a room facing the courtyard. This is a much quieter room type and I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the Commodore in the not distant future.

Yours Sincerely,