“Too bad rooms are not on par with public area!”
Review of The Commodore

The Commodore
Ranked #41 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It was our second visit to the hotel, and I think it has been showing signs of wear and tear that need to be addressed.

To begin with, with 2 issues this place just can't go wrong: the location is amazing, right next to the Waterfront, and the public areas are superb! The lounge, pool, restaurant are all world-class! And the spa was divine, both in ambiance as in the quality of the message - the best I have EVER had!

The service was amazingly impeccable. We came with some funny demands, all of which were answered and treated at courtesy and a smile, and to our sheer amazement - without a bill!!

The rooms are another story. That they are small we could forgive. That they are across the parking, and that only from the 4th floor up you get a decent view - This we will forgive. But the run-down shower and bathroom, the ugly carpets, and the noisy and VERY OLD air-condition are inexcusable. I am sure that a hotel of that caliber deserves better rooms, as do all the people who are paying top dollars to stay there.

Not too much of an effort, and it is there!

Room Tip: If you come to this hotel, pay the premium, book the upper floors, and insist on staying opposite th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here for a few days on our honeymoon. Everyone was SO friendly and helpful. The concierge were wonderful! They helped us book trips/tours and gave us fantastic restaurant reviews. Our room was clean and the breakfast was great each morning. The hotel is just off the waterfront so it is in a great location to shop, dine, etc. We really enjoyed staying here and would recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I spent 5 days at the Commodore as a pre-Christmas sunshine break. This was my second stay at the hotel - a good sign in itself as I'm a very fussy traveller!
The location is perfect - just a five minute walk from the Waterfront with all its shops, restaurants and entertainment.
I e-mailed the hotel before my visit asking for a room with a view of Table Mountain and was delighted to find that this is exactly what I had. It really is worth asking before you go as the staff are extremely helpful and will do their best to accommodate all your requests.
The Travel Desk staff in the hotel are also very helpful. Special mention to Laurian (I hope that's the right name!) who went out of her way to help me organise trips and transfers.
The hotel grounds are very attractive with a small enclosed courtyard where you can have meals and drinks. There is also a small pool with comfortable sun loungers.
I would recommend The Commodore as a perfect base for exploring this lovely city.

Room Tip: Ask for room on a high floor with a view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FrankieC123
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Thank you guys very to this hotel for making my day with my mom great. I phoned the hotel to make a booking for me and my mom for breakfast and the food and beverage manage was so welcoming and told me to come and enjoy it.

We drove all the way from bellville and when we got there it was really great a and there was a big verity of things to choose from and the staff was really helpful and made us feel really special and it really means alot.

We also parked our car in the waterfront and they insisited to pay for the parking ticket and thats really going the extra mile for a guys . Im a hotel management student and by far one of the best hotels that I have ever visited. Thank you to all the staff and special thanks to the food and beverage manager. Would tell all my friends to go there any times.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights and LOVED the location. We were able to walk to the sightseeing company and the Waterfront. The Waterfront is amazing and we were really happy to be so close to it! The Commodore's food was good - we loved the breakfast and ordered room service once - good food. The room itself was nice - we had a balcony with a nice view of the waterfront. The staff was friendly and helpful as well. Overall we were glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The fact that my booking was done at the last moment [and I presented a voucher] should not have resulted in the issues I encountered on arrival. They were however sorted out very quickly and I was given a room. I always specify a double bed, the room had singles. The toilet cistern leaked and the air conditioner sounded like a 747 throttling up for take off. I changed rooms the following day but the result was not much better.
This hotel has a fantastic location, close to the waterfront and all the associated amenities within 5 minutes walking. Once you get past the bus loads of tourists entering the foyer, you find staff that are on top of their game. Not sure though if they get the senior management support they deserve. Breakfast was very good, there is a small courtyard where you can enjoy the breakfast [and other meals] when the weather is good. I never did get the wi-fi working. Because the standard rooms are so small, the showers are located in the baths which I dislike.
Parking is a problem and you have to pay exorbitant parking fees [there are a number of hotels in Cape Town where the parking is free] so make sure you budget for that. Of course, bar prices are horrendous.
There are so many options for better accommodation in Cape Town, I will return to them when the need arises.

Room Tip: Do not take a room near the access doors to the room corridors on the upper floors. They are poorly...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My family and I stayed at The Commodore Cape Town in early November 2013. We had a superb stay! The hotel is very well located -near the Waterfront and with a gorgeous view of Tabletop Mountain. Security is a great concern in South Africa and we felt really safe at The Commodore, the hallway to the bedrooms is locked at all times and only guests may enter the area with a door code. The ambiance at The Commodore is the best -lots of paintings of the shipwrecks that took place at Cape of Good Hope are displayed on the walls, giving this hotel a flair of Old World charm. The place is such a gem! The breakfast buffet is outstanding -with fresh fruits, juices, great pastries. Perfect! What made this hotel extra special for me was the service -the concierge staff went out of their way to make out stay pleasant. I had forgotten my photography equipment the night before at a restaurant on the waterfront, and they were extremely helpful in locating the equipment to me and walking with me to the place so to make sure that I was safe. Really special!! This is a four star hotel but it feels like a five star piece of heaven!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business