“Nice 5* close to V&A”
Review of The Commodore

The Commodore
Ranked #42 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 15 July 2007

Our last stop in SA and for our last night we headed back to Cape Town and booked the Commodore on Expedia the same morning of our proposed stay. A bit of a panic here as most other hotels in Cape Town showed no availability (I've since learned my lesson and now book at least 24 hours in advance!!!!) - which I think was probably more to do with the booking process on Expedia than anything else!

Anyway, the Commodore was bookable and a reasonably good choice it proved to be - in a good location close to (but not in) the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront and at a reasonable price for my very last-minute booking

Excellent service from reception and concierge staff on arrival and again at departure. Hotel has a strong nautical theme. Room not ready at check-in but we were offered refreshments while we waited. A lot of activity/people in public areas.

Smallish bedroom but very comfortable - ours had a magnificent view of Table Mountain. Quiet location. No robes or slippers. Breakfast was included in the price and was excellent - good range of hot and cold items.

Late check out not possible at the time we were there but able to use gym area to freshen up before heading to airport for evening flight back to London. The small pool area looked pleasant enough and had some sun loungers but was always busy: it was also close to an outdoor eating area so didn't provide a lot of privacy or quiet.

Provision of UK (and I think US) electrical sockets at desk was a surprising but very useful addition - perhaps something other hotels should consider.

Would say a high end 4* hotel rather than a 5* but would stay there again if ever back in the area.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank AlwaysReady2Go
There are newer reviews for The Commodore

Reviewed 28 June 2007

The Commodore Hotel situated right in the heart of the waterfront area of Cape Town is a wonderfully relaxing place and the staff really do go out of their way to make you feel right at home. The breakfast buffett is excellent and dinner was good too but there are lots of great places to eat right outside on the quay. In my book this hotel would have been rated as excellent except for the fact that our room safe was robbed during our stay and money taken. It could have been much worse as the safe contained passports, credit cards, computer, cameras etc. so thankfully only cash disappeared. Please don't be put off by my experience as I would go back there again anytime but I'd have my cash etc. locked away in the hotel strong room and not in the apparently vulnerable room safe.

Stayed: May 2007
6  Thank Twobucks
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We stayed at the Commodore for 4 nights in May 2007. As the trip was for my husband's 40th birthday I had e-mailed in advance asking for a room with a view of Table Mountain if possible. Upon arrival we were allocated a suite with a superb sweeping balcony. No fuss was made of our upgrade i.e. we weren't made to feel indebted in anyway.
The staff in the hotel are very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are great and the hotel was really clean and well cared for.
The location was excellent too. Very central and you felt very secure.

If ever travelling back to Cape Town (which we would love to do) then I would certainly look to book the Commodore again.

Stayed: May 2007
5  Thank M7ACC
Reviewed 2 May 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Commodore, Cape Town from 3rd to 7th April 2007 and we enjoyed our stay immensely. From the moment we arrived we experienced excellent service. The room was average but adequate for the amount of time we spent in it and it was cleaned first thing every morning.

We found the staff to be extremely helpful including management, receptionists, concierge, travel desk, bar and restaurant staff. On one occasion we asked for biscuits with our tea and we were kindly informed that the chef had just made a fresh batch of biscotti which we thoroughly enjoyed.

We would highly recommend the Commodore to anyone travelling to Cape Town and looking to stay in a perfect location close to the Waterfront. We will certainly be returning in the future.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank InterestedDublin
Reviewed 12 April 2007

My family recently stayed at the Commodore for 3 nights, 2 rooms - we had a terrible experience - Sony PSP& games were stolen from room -hotel staff did not care, no report, no follow up - nothing - not even a sorry. They did suggest I email to get follow up status - I did, 3 times , zero response. I had to write to the Hotel Exec. to get any type of response just to find out if it was turned in by someone and they -told me sorry but they are not responsible for stolen items from rooms. They said nothing was filed or noted at the hotel and that they would look into it. -

In addition, Rooms were very dirty - bathroom in particular -
not sure if they are understaffed . Room was not
cleaned until after 2:30 - Rooms badly need updating
More of a ** quality . Would not recommend this hotel.
If you do go there watch camera, laptops and other equipment.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank djny5
Reviewed 8 April 2007

The Commadore is a standard city hotel with a fabulous location just minutes from the V & A waterfront. "Standard Rooms" are exactley as described, reasonably sized, comfortable with all the amenities one would expect from a 4* hotel. Reception and front of house staff are efficient and very helpful. Restaurant staff are more "hit and miss" depending on their mood. Overall a good hotel but, other than the location, nothing to make you say to friends "it's the place to stay in Cape Town"

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eastlands
Reviewed 29 March 2007

We stayed in Cape Town at the Commadore 3 days before a world cruise segment on Regent's "Voyager" . We booked this over a month in advance requesting a standard double sized bed. We arrived at approximately 2 P.M. and were told only single beds were left (why make bed size reservations request ?). We were told we where being given an "upgrade" by the clerk and a view of Table Mountain. The room barely had a view of Table Mountain by looking through the next building and off to the right. The room unlike the web site room pictures was small (about 3 feet around the beds) clean but very average. The next night we arrived back from dinner near 11 P.M. and realized when going to the floor we had forgot our "key". I went back to the desk explained the problem and was asked the room number and was given a "key" but never asked my name or for any I.D. My wife really "freaked" at this realizing any one could get a key and enter our room. When we checked out I requested to see the manager to talk about this serious security breach. I first told of my disappointment on the room reservation and was informed that this was not an upgrade as we were told but just a room switch. At this point my wife returned from finishing the checking out nearly in tears. I had given the clerk (the same one who gave us the so called "upgrade") my gold AMEX card and then met the manager for our talk before the check out was final. The clerk had returned from processing the card and loudly announced to my wife and the three other people waiting to check out "you've been declined!" The print out said "declined-please call for authorization", a common practice for AMEX when they receive larger requests from out of the country. This is to protect us from unauthorized use. My wife used her Platinum AMEX card (both the same account) and this was accepted without calling for authorization. We left not having a good feeling about the stay. Would I stay there again? Probably not, the response of the manager was really weak, saying she was sorry and would look into it. The bottom line, a poor room, security questions and a front desk staff that was poorly trained

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple