We stayed 5 nights in this hotel.
It is located in the center of Cape Town. You could think that the location is excellent but it is not the case. After 5-6 pm there is nobody on the streets and it gets dangerous. The hotel is next to the station, a place that you have to AVOID!
Since the hotel restaurant was closed at night, the first day the hotel receptionist suggested having dinner in a restaurant nearby. He told us that the area was "safe" to walk at nights. However, it was enough to have a look outside to realize that he was wrong. His second suggestion was to order something to a delivery service company that - according to him - it was "very good" A booklet with prices and offers was in the room. We did it. One hour and a half later, we received our order. We did not receive/have cutlery so we asked the receptionist for forks and knives. He told us that the restaurant was closed so, he was not able to enter there. We had to eat with coffee spoons! It must be noted that the delivery service he recommended was very expensive!!!! And the quality of food was so-so.
In our third day in Cape Town, we rented a car. To park the car in the hotel you have to give the keys to the hotel staff and they park the car in a park car next to the hotel (a few meters). So, according to this procedure, we trusted them the car keys.
The following day, when got into the car, we noted that there was a straw on the passenger seat and the backseats were dirty (there was something like coke or juice on them). For us, it was obvious that someone had used our car during the night but we were not able to prove it.
So, when we went back to the hotel that night, we took note of the mileage. The following morning and after doing the check out, we checked the mileage and we noted that someone had driven 11 km the night before!!!! When we complained about this to the hotel receptionist (a young woman) she only said: “I am very sorry for that”. (!!!!)
I do not know if she realized the seriousness of the problem or for her this is something normal. We hope not to have to pay any fine. We do not know who took the car (for sure, a hotel’s employee), where he/she went and what he/she did with our car.
The hotel is just OK. They would need to give it an once-over. The breakfast is very good and copious. The staff who served the breakfast is very nice.
Due to the problems that we had, we would not stay again in this hotel.
I would recommend you that you try to find a place in Elizabeth and Alfred Waterfront. It is safe and you have many places to have dinner (shopping mall).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel on St. George’s is conveniently located on the foreshore, the major hub of Cape Town’s legal, financial and publishing district. This location enjoys the convenience of being a few minutes’ walk from Cape Town CBD, Cape Town International Convention Centre and the world renowned V&A Waterfront and 22 kilometers from Cape Town International Airport. The Hotel offers affordable accommodation as well as a trendy Nail Salon less than 2 minutes walking distance from the hotel backed by a professional and dedicated team. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel on St Georges reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Georges Cape Town
- St Georges Hotel Cape Town
- Hotel St Georges
- Hotel On St Georges Cape Town, South Africa