“Good clean hotel in Cape Town city centre”

Hotel on St Georges
Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is situated right next door to the Western Cape Department of Health and really convenient for folk that have to be there. It is old, but clean and the rooms are comfortable for the price. There is safe valet parking at a very reasonable price. The staff are really friendly and will help with queries promptly. Does not have an in house restaurant, but situated close to many that are within walking distance. Long Street is around the corner. Complimentary breakfast at the cafe in the mall is perfect for a business person and those on a vacation. The situation of the hotel is close to various sites in the City as well as the My Citi bus route.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Our stay at the hotel was really memorable. We were greeted by friendly staff and the check in went quite smoothly. A wide variety of food at the buffet breakfast which was simply delicious. Spacious rooms, beautifully decorated but the tv wasn't that great as it did not play clearly. No room service available but the rooms were definitely cleaned during our stay. The staff were friendly & very professional, willing to assist wherever they could.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Looks great from the outside but looks are deceiving! Our problems started with confusion with our reservation and continued. To have the front desk woman AND the General Manager treat us like we were lying and having to prove we reserved correctly is unacceptable. I admit that we did receive an apology letter but no apology from the 2 people who needed to apologize...the front desk woman and Yolanda, the general manager. I do give kudos to Kevin, the reservations manager, he treated us with respect and courtesy throughout the whole ordeal.
I also have concerns when a sign is posted in the lift "to go to ground floor, push 6 and G" then you can stop at floor 8, 6 then Ground. I would have been more comfortable using the stairs other than They are marked for emergency only.
For room choice...pick a room away from Adderley St. There is major road construction happening and the jack hammers start at 7am.
Bottom line...if we could have cancelled without losing our full fee we would have stayed elsewhere. But be assured we will never go near this hotel again!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DeeTurn
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My first visit to the mother city was made possible by the hotel on st georges. I was able to afford a three night's stay in a convenient spot. Everything is within walking distance, the staff is incredibly helpful, the room is clean and accomodates my needs. I would definitely come back

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2014

What a wonderful second experience. Stayed there the night before the Argus. So accommodating ie bicycles allowed in room, late check out, breakfast arrangements, power aid and bananas in the foyer. Checked out with all items still in room and everything safely taken to car for later collection. Even a samsung note 3 left at reception no problems.

Staff super friendly, room spacious and comfortable. And of course the great location in the CBD!

Room Tip: Any room will do!!! :)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I strongly recommend this hotel. It is old but it is CLEAN, QUIET, STAFF VERY POLITE, GOOD MANNERS. Magnifique view of Table Mountain from my room, on the 12th level - Room 1216,I shared the room with my son....Very big in size the deluxe superior twin room.

We can walk from the hotel to the Waterfront and of course at night we took a taxi which is around Rd 40 to Rd 50. Thanks to Ibrahim who booked a taxi for us, as the taxi I booked from my travel agent in my country never came. In 5 minutes, we got a taxi to go to the airport. If your are looking for a hotel and you have a low budget go to the St Georges.

Breakfast at the Kitchen Delhi was great.......miam miam....staff smiling, serving...

HATS UP TO YOU GUYS.....

Room Tip: I made the good choice....
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 111Esperanza
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is very much a value-for-money hotel, which is sad because the building and location give it the potential to be much more. In its favour are the great location right on St George's Mall and close to Long Street, the wonderful friendly staff, the valet parking for just R 50/day, a reasonably good, hot buffet breakfast in a restaurant downstairs and the sheets were fairly new.

What lets this hotel down big-time are the basic things I expect from a hotel: a well-maintained room and some basic comforts. My issues were:
* Really old, worn out towels that seem like they haven't been replaced in years. They were thin, grey and stained with a sand-paper like texture. I am not fussy, but I really felt sick to have to wipe my face on these towels.
* Noise management: I could hear doors banging in the hallway, people talking in the room next door and creaking all night. I felt like I had people in the room with me constantly, and that those people were having a party.
* Drainage system that doesn't work: the shower is in the bathtub, and by the end of my shower the bathtub was close to overflowing because it wasn't draining. It did eventually drain, but it's a bit disgusting to know the drain was that blocked.
* Hard beds: the mattresses had almost no padding. I considered making a bed out of pillows.
* Really old furnishings and bathroom: the sink in the bathroom was very badly chipped. An easy replacement would give the bathroom a new life.

With the exception of beds which might be more difficult to replace, the above seem like very small things to fix in order to pick up the standard of this hotel. I hope they do a refurbishment because it does have potential to be a great option in Cape Town.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo