“Gem of a hotel tucked away 5 mins from the waterfront”
Review of Townhouse Hotel

Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #58 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Found this online and had 4 days there with friends and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mrs.Dot decided to pay extra for a 'suite' - larger room with freestanding bath and balcony and so glad we did.
The rooms have a very modern stylish look, pale wood floors, mood lighting flatscreen tv and huge shower enclosure, like a mini wet room. Big comfy bed and the bath stood on a raised slate area next to the window. Had a problem with the aircon on the first night, and were moved to another room when it couldn't be fixed without any problem. On the last day were given one of the regular rooms to shower and change and was much smaller so worth paying for the bigger room.
Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast fantastic - huge buffet and a la carte for the cooked items - including devilled kidneys!
Multi storey carpark has direct entrance to the hotel through a secure door and is around £4 per day charged to the room. Would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mickydot

Reviewed 2 November 2009

We stayed at the Townhouse hotel for 1 night as a stopping point on the way to a apartment. The hotel was modern and up to date although a little empty. Within walking distance to the V & A Waterfront - although I definitely wouldn't do this walk at night!!
The rooms that we were staying in were quite small and cramped but perfectly comfortable for spending the night in. The shower was a little bit grubby.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and really made us feel welcome!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank vxk831
Reviewed 6 September 2009

With all the good reviews we've read about this hotel, we decided to book several nights during our holidays to Cape Town for the first time and we were not disappointed! The rooms were very comfortable and modern, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and for the price it was a real steal. We felt perfectly safe around the area although we did not really venture our by ourselves at night. The receptionists were very helpful in calling a taxi for us whenever we needed one. If you bring your own laptop you can connect to the Internet in your room, otherwise there is a business center downstairs (we didn't use the internet here though). Hotel breakfast was ample and delicious for the price. Overall, I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to anyone passing thru Cape Town! We will definitely stay here again. Kudos to the staff!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank belishabeacon
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I stayed here on my first ever trip to Cape Town in March. Hotel was much nicer than I expected - the lobby and outside at first seem a bit rundown but the room I was in was quite modern. Very comfortable bed and nice linens, updated shower and bathroom. Complimentary high speed internet was a real plus. Restaurant looked like it hadn't been updated like the rooms but was still fine and the staff was very pleasant. I think my continental breakfast, which was quite substantial, ran about $11-12. As recommended, I booked a car service from the airport to take me to the hotel. They were there when my flight landed but the sign with my name wasn't being held up as I walked out of baggage claim. So I got some money from the aTM and walked around til I noticed the guy casually holding the sign with my name. I think it cost about $25. The location of this hotel is excellent - just about everything is within walking distance - local street fairs, the fort, District Six museum. The V&A waterfront is a hike - I took a taxi as I went there at night by myself. I also did a tour of one of the townships - Langaa, that was very interesting. I'd stay here again as it was central and easy to get to other things from this location. Staff at the hotel was very helpful too - especially in directing me to an ATM that was inside as opposed to on the street, helping me find drugstores for purchasing new sunglasses since I left mine at home.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank VraQuaker
Reviewed 21 May 2009

This little hotel could be a smart choice for business travelers and holidaymakers alike. Our room was a bit smallish though perfectly convenient for a couple of days and always clean. The interior is tastefully designed with smart, modern furnishing. There is complimentary internet in the rooms, and a computer at the reception for the guests’ convenience. For breakfast you can have a good selection of varied local and international delicacies. My husband ordered an omelet on the first day and we burst out laughing when it arrived. It was huge!!! On the following days he only ordered half portion and it was still plenty. The staff is always polite and helpful. The hotel’s location is good - though not the best. You are in the city centre but you need to walk about 5 minutes to get to the shopping street where most of the restaurants and bars are located. Alternatively you can take a cab to further parts of the city e.g. Waterfront. We had a rental car but we didn't use the hotel's garage (it's 40 rand per day if I remember well), we parked on the street instead, which was also OK. The area seemed to be safe and quiet; I guess if you don't wear any overly flashy stuff you should be all right at night.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Petonika
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We stayed in the Townhouse Hotel over New Year 2007 and absolutely loved it - so decided to return for 4 nights this year. Expectations when you return are always high - and the hotel mainly met these. Service - restaurant was not quite as our last experience - possibly because the hotel was overstretched with a large group of ANC members, who seemed to be treating it as a 'home from home; and were expecting rather more than standard service.

The female concierge (sorry don't remember her name) was excellent - willing to go 'the extra mile' - even tried to get my husband tickets for an international cricket match on the day, but failed - no fault of her own. She was absolutely brilliant and extremely patient!

Position of the hotel - good during the day, but evening outings need to be taken by taxi (too close to the station area for comfort). Bar staff need particular mention - after one evening they remembered our drinks!!! Probably says a lot about us!!

Book a room with a mountain view - the rooms are not large, but v. well appointed (we are seasoned travellers) - we felt v. safe in this hotel - which in Cape Town is extremely important.

Meals v. good - restaurant is rather formal, and in the evening could be slightly intimitating if you don't want lots of attention - rather more staff than guests on several occasions!

Would recommend this hotel if you are not looking for entertainment, but appreciate good service.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nortons21
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I stayed at the Townhouse Hotel for ten days in February 2009 and was very impressed. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and informative. The hotel was very clean, comfortable and good value too. I stayed in a room on one of the upper floors and had a sideways view of Table Mountain. The room was modern and comfortable although my only slight criticism was that the bathroom could have done with some modernisation to bring it up to the same standard as the room itself. It was perfectly adequate though. The hotel’s restaurant was very pleasant with excellent breakfasts and a good evening menu. Food and service were both great.

The hotel’s location is convenient for the city centre and various places of interest such as Long Street, the cathedral, the District Six Museum, Castle of Good Hope and Greenmarket Square. The Waterfront is only a short distance away by taxi. The reception staff booked a number of tours for us and nothing was ever too much trouble. I definitely intend to visit Cape Town again one day and will certainly stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009