“Excellent Location on the Waterfront with good access to all the "must sees" at the waterfront.”

Victoria & Alfred Hotel
Ranked #25 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The last time we stayed a little distance form the V&A Waterfront - but this time in CT we chose the Victoria & Alfred Hotel.The Mall,Aquarium, Boarding points and a variety of shopping all within the vicinity of the Hotel makes it an ideal location.You can watch the live Musicians do their Songs and Dance from the comfort of your room.The service is professional and polite - the breakfast spread is amazing and one can have a hearty South African breakfast (among other great choices) to start the day off.The barmen are friendly and polite - check out the Spanish Corn at the bar - very nice.
The views are amazing on either side of the Hotel - Piazza Facing or Table Mountain View - Personally we preferred aPiazza Facing Room.The rooms are spacious and comfortable.

My only disappointment was for the Pool and Spa facilities one has to go out of the Hotel to the Queen Victoria Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Victoria & Alfred Hotel

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I usually stay at a popular hotel in Claremont but this time our travel coordinator booked me into the V&A for the first time. The hotel is very well located within the Waterfront and I was impressed with the friendly professional service and appreciated the large size of the well appointed bedroom and bathroom. Breakfast buffet was excellent. I ordered simple fish and chips room service dinner which was disappointing in that both fish and thick cut chips were not cooked through. I was however impressed with the fact that on checking out the following morning both the head of guest services and the chef himself made the effort to personally apologise for not having met an acceptable standard with respect to room service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed here at my second week in CT. The first week was with a big group and we rented Kia Ora Beach House at Camps Bay which was perfect. But after, as I would be alone, I wanted to fond an hotel in Waterfront to feel safe and to be in the center of everything night and day. I chose V&A because it was the only hotel with a reasonable price in Waterfront. But I could not ask more.

1. The BEST location. Not only because it is in Waterfront but also it has the best location within the Waterfront. This is literally in the middle of Waterfront. You can even walk during night so safe, always vivid and crowded. None of the expensive Waterfront HOtel can beat its location.

2. The Staff!!! They are soooo lovely:) 1st day after moments my group left and I was alone in Africa, I was feeling a little bit anxious, I felt home thanks to them... Always smiling, always helpful, always friendly... I have to mention some names: Cyntia from frontdesk, Sylvester again from frontdesk, Simon travel desk and Wellington (at least I hope I have the correct name) the porter... They were all fantastic and made me feel really at home. I travelled a lot around 4 continents and over 26 countries, stayed in many hotels of different kinds. In small boutique hotels you can wait such a personal touch and you get it. But in the big hotels like this one, with so many rooms and customers, I am really surprised how they can be sooo friendly and they can give you personal attention. They are really the BEST.

For the rooms, you should probably not be on the 3rd floor, I had my first room at there, it was a small room. But my 2nd room at 1st floor is much more better. So ask for room 101, you'll thank me:)

The only problem I think is that internet connection is sometimes problematic from the rooms but if you say you have connection problems, they try to solve it out immediately.

So especially if you are alone, STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Don't stay in 3rd floor. Room 101 is perfect, a corner roon with windows on both sides, looking...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Swanilda
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My mom and I traveled to Cape Town and stayed a week here at the Victoria & Alfred Hotel. We loved it! The room was huge and the beds were super comfy, and the breakfast is really great -- who can beat such delicious food and coffee (and fresh squeezed tropical juices!) with amazing views of Table Mountain, honestly. The staff was great. The front desk professionals were constantly kind and helpful, and the travel desk helped us arrange a peninsula tour and a safari, both fantastic. I would definitely stay there again and recommend to any one traveling there. It's very helpful to be close to everything on the waterfront, and it's easy enough to get around to visit other places in the area. The only two things I would add for consideration are that rooms facing the plaza (as opposed to the mountain) get a lot of sound from the musicians/buskers outside on the waterfront (this can be charming at first but gets a little annoying after a while) and I do wish there was more of a lobby/lounging area (of course the rooms are pretty big, so that may not be necessary for most). Overall, a really splendid and memorable stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2012

There isn't something new I could say here, something not said before, that would capture the superior level of service at the V&A. From check-in to departure everything was excellent. Discreet and courteous, attentive and efficient, solicitious but not cloying: what every good hotel should be!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Singhy_the_wanderer
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I agree with all the glowing reviews made earlier. The hotel really is excellently located, clean, great views and with friendly staff. I might add that the restaurant has excellent food, as well. We made the mistake of passing up the hotel restaurant twice in order to try some places in the mall. When we finally gave it a try for a last hurried lunch, I found it was better than any other restaurant we had been to in the mall. Word of warning, though, it is rather pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the harbor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank furrylamma
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the V&A for 4 nights on the last leg of our South African vacation. We had a piazza view room. It was clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. The V&A staff are gracious and friendly. The location of the hotel is the best...a short walk to the mall and restaurants. Cabs are available outside the hotel if you need to travel elsewhere. The little mall inside the hotel had some very nice stores. I bought most of my souveniers there. The hotel has a wonderful breakfast buffet with something for everyone. We received a voucher for dinner at OYO and took advantage of it. It was delicious. We highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The piazza is very lively well into the evening, especially on weekends so if you don't mind a l...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple