“V&A - superb location and so much to do around there”

Victoria & Alfred Hotel
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London, United Kingdom
“V&A - superb location and so much to do around there”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

we spent a week at the V&A and Cape Town was on my list of locations to visit for a long time. Took lots of advice from friends and colleagues, and i must say this was one of our best holidays. The location was superb, with lots to do during the days and evenings. Recommend traveling this time of year as it's their start of summer. Choices of food were also excellent as were the views over the harbor and table mountain. The staff were superb and could not find fault with anything. We sat in bars in the afternoons watching the world go by and listing to live music. I will definitely be coming back to this beautiful part of the world

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Neil M, Managing Director at Victoria & Alfred Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed a wonderful stay with us and thank you for this review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Very nice hotel and great location. Only negative is the slow service during breakfast. There is a great view of the harbor while having breakfast. My room was facing the Waterfront and I thought it would be noisy, but it wasn't.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Neil M, Managing Director at Victoria & Alfred Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write your review. We have addressed the breakfast service matter, thank you for letting us know. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards
Godalming
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I first went here just after it opened and it is no surprise that it continues to thrive. The quality and the position are outstanding right in the heart of the waterfront. It is the jewel in the crown of Cape Town hotels.

Room Tip: Enjoy the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Neil M, Managing Director at Victoria & Alfred Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Ernie

Thank you kindly for your wonderful review. We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed returning to stay with us and most certainly look forward to welcoming you back.
George, Western Cape
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I recently stayed a night in a mountain facing room at The Victoria and Alfred Hotel. The size of the rooms were generous and spacious. I don't think I have every experienced such a magnificent view as I did from our room overlooking the waterfront and then Table Mountain in all its splendor. This hotel has the location and the views that will keep me coming back for more. I loved the breakfast setting and the breakfast variety was of a 5 star standard. The staff were pleasant and helpful. I highly recommend The V&A Hotel

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Gavin, we are most appreciative of your kind words, but more so happy that you really enjoyed your stay with us. We do look forward to welcoming you back.
Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Cape Town, and we were unsure where to stay . The waterfront was the right place for us. There are a lot of shops and restaurants, and it's a good base to explore Cape Town. I think Camps Bay might be better for families.
This hotel is nice, but lacks any impact. By that I mean there is no wow factor. The reception is small.
When we arrived the welcome was friendly enough,but no info about the hotel facilities breakfast and so on. We had to ask later . The breakfast is nice as you can sit out by the water. The rooms are nice , as you would expect in a hotel at this price.
The staff are good , on the whole.
Lucy in particular. We looked at the other hotels in this group, and i think I would have gone for Queen Victoria if I could have looked around them first.
There are LOTS of nice hotels around this price, and although there is nothing wrong with this place I probably wouldn't stay here again now that I have seen what else is on offer.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Neil M, Managing Director at Victoria & Alfred Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Monica

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your feedback on your recent stay at the Victoria & Alfred Hotel. It is unfortunate that our Reception staff didn't tell you about the facilities within the group upon check-in. I will however pass the compliments on to Lucy.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My son and stayed here in September 2013. The room was huge, 2 double beds and a separate toilet to the bathroom which I also liked. The breakfasts were spectacular, full English and bucks fizz, what a way to start your morning! The location is perfect, a view of table mountain when eating, what else could you want? I also have to say the reception staff were so good. I had a query about extra luggage, I had bought my son an oil can guitar for his Christmas present and they sorted our query with the airlines we were using. Top notch and intend to come back in 2015.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Good day

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us and that our Reception staff were so helpful and accommodating. We look forward to welcoming you back in 2015!

United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent location right on the waterfront - making it very convenient for transport, tours, eating out and shopping.

Which is also why you have to pay through the nose. Service is quite average for what they charge.

Rooms are spacious, some with great views of Table Mountain. There is a slight hint of stinginess with what they provide you in the room- for example: not replacing bottles of mineral water after the first night, and the lack of toiletries provided.

Champagne and oysters can be found at the breakfast buffet daily. There is a very helpful travel desk that handles any reservations that you might want to make.
All in all a pleasant stay although on the pricey side.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Good day

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review in respect of your recent stay at the V&A Hotel. I appreciate all of the constructive feedback as this helps me to monitor our service levels to guests.