“Modern, clean and comfortable”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point
Ranked #67 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London
“Modern, clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 nights over a period of 8 days, checking in and out 3 times when leaving to stay with family etc. By the 3rd time the staff recognised us and welcomed us back. The staff were all really really helpful and friendly. We used the laundry service twice which we were pleased with. The hotel has very recently been refurbished and is clean and modern. We had a family room which was smaller than we are used to but adequate for a city base. We found the underground parking great and good value. We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel preferring the little boutique hotel opposite or the many restaurants at the waterfront which isn't far away. The rooms were not sound proofed very well and I found that I was woken by other guests in the night. The toilet was separate from the bathroom (shower only) which was great for us. Overall we would probably stay here again as ideally located for us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank cosmos328is
Janneman B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear cosmos328is

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Sea Point and for the insightful review! It looks like you had a very busy visit to Cape Town and we look forward to welcome you back again.

May I suggest that on your next visit - have a look at one of our interleading sets of rooms. The sets are at the end of the passages. The interleading sets have two bedrooms and two bathrooms - one room will have a balcony.

The variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel makes us a great destination for those who want variety during their stay in Cape Town.

Happy travels

Yours always

Janneman Britz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The room is smaller compared with other hotels we stayed at in other cities in South Africa, but it is bigger than the Protea Hotel OR Tambo we stayed at in Johannesburg. The room is very nice - clean and nicely decorated. There is a small balcony that gives you a view of the waterfront. The location of the hotel is great. it's very close to the bus stop for the Hop On and Hop Off (stops on Arthurs Road). You can walk along the waterfront and enjoy the sea view and the watching local people. There are a few benches that you can sit and enjoy the sunset.

There is a couple of Chinese Restaurants in the neighbourhood and we tried Mr Chen. The price is on the high side compared with the steak but the quality is quite good. And we had our dinner there twice. We also tried the Seven Spur steakhouse restaurant downstairs (not part of the hotel). Food is good and service is great.

Since many of us from the tour group took the late night flight home, the hotel provided us the convenience to use their recreation centre for shower before we departed. There were also free towels to use. It's a real bonus for us since it's quite warm out there. We can't use the free Wifi anymore once we checked out. But if you go to the restaurant next door, you can use their free Wifi as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MLancaster
Janneman B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear MLancaster

Thank you for staying with us and for the informative review you wrote. The hotel gives you the best location in relation to restaurants, shops, beach and access to explore the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town CBD, Camps Bay and Hout Bay. I look forward to welcome you back again and then try some of the new restaurants in the area - we will give you a list. Safe travels!
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I slept like a child in the seriously comfortable beds here. Hotel staff went out of their way to help me with anything from getting extra room keys to printing documents and getting online. Housekeeping was great. I loved being 5 minutes from the beach and 2 minutes from banks, restaurants and supermarkets. Only complaints: the shower pressure was a little low, and the rooms can be drafty.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Janneman B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Daniellach

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Protea Hotel Sea Point. Thank you for the compliment to my TEAM - I will share it with them. I agree with you 100% about the comfortable beds - in fact I have one in my house and I love it. The location of the hotel is ideal for exploring Cape Town's various attractions and activities. We will look into the shower pressure. I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Yours truly

Janneman
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my first time in Cape Town, I needed a comfortable to stay after a long trip on a bus from Pretoria. The hotel is in a satisfactory location with partial views of the sea. The reception area was good with a friendly employees.

I fell in love with those colourful lightings on the passages. I requested a room with the sea view of which I got. The hotel room very neat and fresh. Only one thing I didn't like, was tap water that was not controllable (it was either too hot or too cold), but I was so happy that t least it was about to be revamped.

This is just a standard hotel, don't expect too much, but you can walk to the sea in less that 5 minutes. The taxis to town are just at the doorstep.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the sea views and it must be on the top floors
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boo-ngane
Janneman B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Boo-ngane

We have completed the refurbishment and the new Protea Hotel Sea Point has a tranquil freshly different feel. You must honestly come down to spend a weekend with us again! You will love the colours and the communal table with iPads in the lobby. The fresh new rooms have 9 plug points in, black out curtains, comfy king size beds and amazing walk in showers. The great location have not changed and there are many shops, restaurants and attractions within walking distance from the hotel. The hop on hop off bus service has a pick up just down the road. I do look forward to welcome you back again and to show you our new hotel.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Not a bad hotel at all. I was initially put in a room without a desk - (really!) but on request my room was changed without fuss. Not sure how the booking process works but when a guest books under the name of a corporate, during the week, surely you assume the person is on business and therefore needs a desk. The hotel is recently renovated so is fresh and new. The staff are very friendly but don't appear to be solution driven. When a problem arises, they tend to look at you with no solution, but when you ask if they can do something specific to help they are very pleasant about doing it. Rooms are nice and while bathrooms are very small, they are perfectly adequate with very nice showers. It's a bit out of the way if you are doing business in Newlands, Claremont and if you expect to visit the V&A a bit, best to stay in town. The I house restaurant is the Spur which is a bit of a disappointment. 500MB free wifi a day. And it's fast. Bonus!

Would I stay here again? Probably not, primarily because it is too out of the way for my business purposes. Otherwise, definitely.

Room Tip: Book a room with a desk if you're on business
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rob S
Dear Rob S

Thank you for staying with us and for the review - apologies that you did not get a room with a working desk on arrival. At Protea Hotels we always try to anticipate, meet and exceed GUEST expectations - if ever you are in our area again - let me know and we will make sure you have a great stay in the right room.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel is lovely, but bare in mind, you will only get a partial sea view. Very clean and comfortable rooms. In South Africa, we only stay at the Protea Hotels. Protea Hotel Sea Point was our second choice as we always stay at the Protea Hotel President, but unfortunately they were fully booked and I understand why. But we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very centrally situated, in the middle of all amenities. Easy access to refreshing beach walks, and beach drives. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very good. The kids enjoyed it most. They have the Spur as a main restaurant. The only disappointment was when we tried to order alcoholic drinks at 10:00pm. We were told that we had to order food with, as the Spur is the hotel's in -room dining service. Really?? We just got back from a hefty dinner and wanted a night cap, only to be told that we must eat again to have a drink. We eventually bought our drinks at an outlet and took up to the room. That is the only complain I have about the hotel. Either than that, I will recommend this hotel. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Sixth floor rooms. Beautiful but partial sea view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kershree
Janneman B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Kershree

Thank you for staying with us and I am pleased that we could live up to expectation. We are in the process of making 'night caps' more available - please let me know when your next visit is going to be so that we can stock your mini bar. Wishing you safe travels!
johannesburg
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our 2 night stay at this hotel. We found our room type, superior, perfect for us and spacious. I do not know how the rooms looked before the refurbishment, but they look smart and stylish and welcoming. The service received from all staff was spot on and friendly. I like its closeness to the ocean. Also convenient are the 2 supermarkets a shoprite,and a woolworths foods which is within walking distance. I parked on the street, in front of the hotel and found it to be safe. This hotel has a "holiday" feeling to it. I enjoyed being woken up in the morning to the sounds of seagulls too. The bathroom is understandably small but modern. I do suggest that the hotel puts a cover on the basin wooden legs as these seem to be starting to age due to water falling on the floor. Cape town does not really have any 3 or 4 star hotels that are directly on the beachfront like Durban, so this is a good choice if u want the sea within a few minutes walk. If I returned to cape town, I will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank es786
Janneman B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear es786

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Sea Point and for the review. I am pleased you had a great stay and will share your compliments with my TEAM. We have noted your suggestion with regards to the bathroom. We look forward to welcome you back soon and ensure you book a superior or deluxe room for your next visit.