“Nice and cosy”
Review of Tudor Hotel

Tudor Hotel
Ranked #92 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is a nice little place. The room I stayed in was comfy, the staff friendly and breakfast was good. The rooms do not have a safe in them but there is a safe in the lobby and had no problems with this. You will need to pay a deposit for the key. I had no problem using the downstairs safe. I stayed in the Holiday Inn around the corner; however I would recommend the Tudor for a more homely feeling and less of that 'hotel feeling'.
This Hotel is close to all things central in Cape Town. Green Market Square, long street, St George's mall, easy to get to the Waterfront or the new buses travelling around the city. I booked through SA places.co.za and had to pay a 50% deposit. When I arrived the hotel had my information ready and there was no problem with check in.
This hotel is better than Fountains Hotel, which I also stayed at. The beds and pillows were really comfy in the room I stayed. There was no hassles with the rooms, bathroom , Aircon or TV in my room. The Hotel has a new owner who works hands on to ensure everything runs smoothly, this means the current staff don't normally share the enthusiasm for change or it cold just be Cape Town.
I had problem exchanging money in Cape Town with it strict passport rules, which you must take everywhere if you want to exchange money. I also had problem withdrawing money from Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) with my credit card. South Africa charges excessive fees when converting cash at currency exchange places. To get around this I found NEDBANK, a major bank in South Africa to accept my credit card from Australia while others didn't . This of course saved my in having to pay commission as high as 5.5% to some operators. All did was use my credit to withdraw money using only Nedbank ATMs with no problem and no need to carry your passport with you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SydneyBender

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed for a month in November 2013 for business. As the other reviewers state, it's ideal for those who just want a solid base with a great breakfast. Ideal location for the city centre, 20 minutes walk to the waterfront and is surrounded with great bars and restaurants. I'm returning to Cape Town for another month soon and I didn't even think to look for alternative places.

Rooms are basic but clean, all of the staff are friendly and helpful and there's also a bar. Perfect for when you want a quiet drink and don't want to head out.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor at the rear of the hotel, completely silent at night. I had no issues at...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed in the Tudor in October 2013 but also in november 2010 ans it is still really good. Comfortable beds and nice rooms. Generous breakfast with very helpfull staff. I was there on business and near all my meetings (on foot). Can't be better. In the heart of Capetown and near cultural centers like Artscape or the shops on Longstreet. And ofcourse right on top of Greenmarket with coffeeshops and restaurants right there.
The only downpoint is that there wifi is ran by an outside company with whom I had serious problems. But the Tudor Hotel management tried all to help me out. Very good place to stay

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view on the church. Nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Positives: excellent location just off Long street, very friendly staff and reasonable rates. Good breakfast.

Negatives: we got to our room to find 2 ladders, tins of paint, newspaper on the floor etc. we were moved to another room which was smaller. A used plaster (Band Aid) was found in a drawer and the room has absolutely no defence against outside noise.

We visited 8 hotels whilst in South Africa and this one was the only which we were disappointed with.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy85Chester
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I rate this a "Very Good for the following reasons: The location is outstanding. The price is less than the Inn at the Square (next door) which we have stayed at before and they have family rooms.. We traveled with our adult children from the USA. They had children ages 5 & 7.
We had a "double room" for ourselves and they had 2 rooms next door that joined and that included a large bed for the adults and 2 single beds for the kids. The room could be closed off so they could sleep. Perfect! A/C worked perfectly.
Remember that Green Market Square sets up and tears down daily. If you are a really light sleeper this may not work for you but our kids found watching this from the balcony well worth it.

Of course there will be beggars (more so at night). It is just diagonal to the Green Market Square so the tourist population will be at it's peak and the probability of getting money given to you is higher. Just say a firm "NO".
One half block from Long Street which we all walked many times. Perfectly safe area for someone who uses common sense. Took the kids to Addis Ethiopian restaurant for an adventure dinner. Fun!
Older but fine for us. Beds were very good, room was clean, breakfast is included and is adequate but nothing exceptional. Included makes the price "right". I went down very early and drank coffee every morning and all the staff were friendly and helpful (brought me milk).
We always leave Rand 10 per night for the maid who cleans the room. They are not often remembered and they work hard.
Rand 50 buys you Wifi. Reasonable charge for a good connection.

Room Tip: We had 102 as the double and the kids had 103 as the family. Noisy at times but a lot of atmosphere.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The Tudor hotel is a very pleasant small hotel with basic amenities, decent size rooms and wonderfully friendly and helpful staff. It is ideally situated near the heart of the action on the main strip of Long Street, close to the downtown restaurants and bars. It is also right beside the city's main artisan market Green Market. You may hear the artisans setting up their stalls in the early morning, so if this is a concern, consider a room that is further from the market.

From the hotel you can walk to the Company Gardens in about 7 minutes and to the Castle of Good Hope, the National Museum and the National Arts Gallery in about 15 minutes. the Waterfront is about a 30 minute walk. It is also easy to find a taxi on Long street go to further destinations like Table Mountain, Green Point, Sea Point or Camp's Bay. Do check if taxis have functioning meters, if not, the taxi fare is negotiable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Roy R
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I visited Cape Town with my brother and I booked this hotel because of it's relatively low price. It was our first ever visit to South Africa. We tend to spend very little time in hotels, only overnight, so see no real need to pay top prices.

Unfortunately for us we did not realise how dodgy the area is outside this hotel. It is right in the centre of downtown Cape Town. It is very close to Long St, which we found to be very busy with lots of shops, restaurants, bars & cafes. It reminded me a bit of New Orleans. Soon after arrival and having been up to the room to drop our stuff we thought we would take a walk around the area. Only problem was that it was full of undesirables. We were constantly approached all the time we were out and my brother had his cellphone stolen by a distraction pickpocket within an hour, although he did not realise straight away. We have walked in some bad areas of LA, DC, Philadelphia & Chicago, in US but never experienced anything like the level of harrasment we got here. It was raining quite heavily whilst we were out so we tried to stay undercover. We went into a shop to escape one beggar but he waited for us to come out. When we did go out we split up to confuse him. He followed me and I had to shout very loudly at him to go away. I have never had to do that anywhere before. We were glad to get back to the hotel in one piece, but we did go back out again later after dark because we had to visit a police station to report the theft. Once again we were targetted, in particular by a woman carrying a baby in a towel who begged for money for the train. Even though we gave her R10 & hoped she would go away she then followed us. We ran to escape. Maybe this was the reason for them asking you to hand the room key to reception before going out.

As for the hotel, it is very old and has some character. The lobby area has quite an attractive decor. The lift is a very old style with the metal mesh shutters. It was very cramped & only big enough for two people at once. Our room was ok and it was clean & tidy, although there were problems. The poorly placed air conditioner, (above the ledge with kettle, main place to put food) leaked so badly that we had to turn it off. I had to place a towel on the ledge to soak up the water. The old fashioned CRT television was also precariously placed on a bracket which jutted out a fair way, raising the possiblity of banging one's head on it. There was only one chair in the room, a rather uncomfortable seat which looked like it belonged next to a bar. At least the beds were comfortable. This is a little picky but I was annoyed with the kettle, which didn't even have a dock. This meant, to fill it you had to unplug it & carry to sink to fill. The cable was also too short to reach the socket, meaning I had to lift up the extension to plug it in. There was no free wifi in the hotel but I managed to get a connection to another service if I stood close to the window, possibly the hotel over the road. In the morning the breakfast was nice & the tables were very neatly laid out. There was a decent choice on offer.

After our stay we left for Sutherland, in the Karoo for 3 nights. On our return we thought, despite the trouble we had firstly we would come back to this hotel again. Unfortunately the price had risen significantly. For our first night I worked out I paid R675, but when I went back the price was R1150. That was quite a leap, even more when the parking is factored in. The parking is another problem. You may be able to park in the hospital garage a couple of blocks away but it is not easy finding a space which is not reserved for staff. I had to drive nearly to the top. There are also no in & out privilages. Parking for full day was R110. Parking outside the hotel itself is also hit & miss. If you arrive at a busy time you may not find a space because it is a very narrow road.
I was disappointed not to have read of any other review here which mentioned any problem with the beggars. Maybe we were there at a bad time. I know there was a riot in the market square just a day before we arrived. Even one of the traders was asking my brother for money. We never even visited the market, depite it being just outside the hotel because we did not want to be harrassed or robbed. We stayed the rest of our trip in a guesthouse near Table Mountain which was much cheaper than staying here & much safer.

Room Tip: If you get a room at the rear it should be quieter than the front where the market is.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family