“Good, far from great”

Ranked #100 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good, far from great”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Cape Towns oldest hotel, in a good way. I liked the location with the view over the commerce on Green market square. Busy, slightly noisy but nothing out of the ordinary in a busy met city. gread bed, not so good shower and breakfast was alright. But only just. Staff was not very helpful. Parking was R95 extra and was not sorted when we were leaving. WiFi didn't work at all, despite the fact someone came to our room with a code. I quite liked the oldish feeling about the hotel thou! But still, lacks in guest relation and service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over New Year 2013/14, loved the location and the size of the room. We stayed in a family room as had 16 year daughter with us. Loved the market in the square right by the hotel. Only down side was the manager yelling at a member of staff in earshot of the guests. The breakfast had loads of choice, and all the staff where friendly and helpful.

Would stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We spent 2 nights in this hotel, and it's the maximum nights I would recommend to be in this hotel.

Pros: It's next to the Greenmarket Square and a nice church (for church goer), and only a few blocks away from nice shops for day time.

Cons: The area at night can turn into a bit of a jungle. Beggars and bums observed people who go in and out of the hotel which can make one feel unsafe. It's not a good idea to walk around there at night as the smell of urination seemed to be everywhere.

Our room was on the 2nd floor facing the roofs and not the front street, so in the way we were spared from having to listen to loud music from bars and restaurants nearby, especially on weekend.

Room service was very minimal. The maid practically just straighten the bedsheets and changed the towels, but nothing else. An example: I had a dirty plate of fruit I ate in the morning before going out of the room, and it was not removed after the maid cleaned the room. I dropped a dirty fork on the floor and it was at the exact spot when I came back.

It would stay here again only as a last resort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank born2taste

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is a nice little place. The room I stayed in was comfy, the staff friendly and breakfast was good. The rooms do not have a safe in them but there is a safe in the lobby and had no problems with this. You will need to pay a deposit for the key. I had no problem using the downstairs safe. I stayed in the Holiday Inn around the corner; however I would recommend the Tudor for a more homely feeling and less of that 'hotel feeling'.
This Hotel is close to all things central in Cape Town. Green Market Square, long street, St George's mall, easy to get to the Waterfront or the new buses travelling around the city. I booked through SA places.co.za and had to pay a 50% deposit. When I arrived the hotel had my information ready and there was no problem with check in.
This hotel is better than Fountains Hotel, which I also stayed at. The beds and pillows were really comfy in the room I stayed. There was no hassles with the rooms, bathroom , Aircon or TV in my room. The Hotel has a new owner who works hands on to ensure everything runs smoothly, this means the current staff don't normally share the enthusiasm for change or it cold just be Cape Town.
I had problem exchanging money in Cape Town with it strict passport rules, which you must take everywhere if you want to exchange money. I also had problem withdrawing money from Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) with my credit card. South Africa charges excessive fees when converting cash at currency exchange places. To get around this I found NEDBANK, a major bank in South Africa to accept my credit card from Australia while others didn't . This of course saved my in having to pay commission as high as 5.5% to some operators. All did was use my credit to withdraw money using only Nedbank ATMs with no problem and no need to carry your passport with you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SydneyBender
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed for a month in November 2013 for business. As the other reviewers state, it's ideal for those who just want a solid base with a great breakfast. Ideal location for the city centre, 20 minutes walk to the waterfront and is surrounded with great bars and restaurants. I'm returning to Cape Town for another month soon and I didn't even think to look for alternative places.

Rooms are basic but clean, all of the staff are friendly and helpful and there's also a bar. Perfect for when you want a quiet drink and don't want to head out.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor at the rear of the hotel, completely silent at night. I had no issues at...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Lyon, France
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed in the Tudor in October 2013 but also in november 2010 ans it is still really good. Comfortable beds and nice rooms. Generous breakfast with very helpfull staff. I was there on business and near all my meetings (on foot). Can't be better. In the heart of Capetown and near cultural centers like Artscape or the shops on Longstreet. And ofcourse right on top of Greenmarket with coffeeshops and restaurants right there.
The only downpoint is that there wifi is ran by an outside company with whom I had serious problems. But the Tudor Hotel management tried all to help me out. Very good place to stay

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view on the church. Nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Positives: excellent location just off Long street, very friendly staff and reasonable rates. Good breakfast.

Negatives: we got to our room to find 2 ladders, tins of paint, newspaper on the floor etc. we were moved to another room which was smaller. A used plaster (Band Aid) was found in a drawer and the room has absolutely no defence against outside noise.

We visited 8 hotels whilst in South Africa and this one was the only which we were disappointed with.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family