“Boutique hideaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Fremantle, WA
“Boutique hideaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I didn't want to stay in a large chain hotel so chose the Cape Heritage and it did not disappoint. The ambiance is lovely, the staff are lovely and the rooms are lovely, it's not like any other hotel I've stayed in!

The location in the square is great too, we arrived late on our first night so stayed in the square for dinner which has a great atmosphere. The walk to the V&A was about 15 mins and just a few minutes from Green Market Square so it's a great location. If you want to spend more time at the V&A then I would suggest staying closer but one visit for us was enough, it's nice but very touristy.

The hotel decor has been done beautifully, it feels old still but is all new and modern, it is an old building so you do hear some noise from other rooms and the street but it didn't bother us, it was nice to be in the action. One tip is that you have to request to have the hot tub switched on as it takes a few hours to heat up - we headed up there to find it cold and were a bit disappointed.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Skichickcharlie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at the Cape Heritage Hotel for 10 days and did not want to leave. It is more a guest house than a hotel, in that there is such charm and comfort to the place. The location is great, very close to many sights and there is a very nice roof top jacuzzi and sun deck. What truly separates Cape Heritage is the staff. They answered all my questions and provided excellent advice. Further, they truly seemed interested in my trip and myself. When I returned from a day trip, someone would always ask "How was your day?" and mean it. My thanks to Kelly, Jeanne Marie, Abdul and Bamford and everyone else. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank markus027
jacksonville, florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This small hotel fully deserves it's rating as the best boutique hotel in Cape Town. The location in a mid-nineteenth century building in Heritage Square is superb. The hotel has been creatively and sympathetically restored. Rooms are large, and all are uniquely decorated. Service is impeccable and the staff incredibly helpful.

Friends had recommended other hotels, but after a week in Cape Town we were quite pleased to have stayed at the Cape Heritage. Unlike hotels located at the V&A Seaport, which resembles a typical high end seaport mall, when you say at the Cape Heritage you are in the center of the city near all the restaurants, markets and shops. You are also safe to walk along nearby Long Street each evening to enjoy all the bars and nightspots.

Breakfasts at the Cape Heritage are varied and fantastic, and in good weather they are served in an airy and characterful inner courtyard. Inexpensive parking is located across the street from the hotel. A car is recommended for Cape Town, as its a car-oriented city with very limited public transportation. We were consistently thrilled to stay at the Cape Heritage for six nights, and it will be our first choice of places to stay when we return to Cape Town.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cheadle1
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Myself and my sister stayed in Cape Town from 25/03/2012 - 03/04/2012 and stayed at Cape Heritage Hotel for the full trip. I actually don't know where to begin with describing how wonderful the trip was and how much the amazing staff at Cape Heritage contributed to this in such a big way. From the minute we checked in to the minute we checked out the staff were so friendly and helpful and were always ready with advice and suggestions of activities we could take part in while we were on holiday. The staff at reception booked all our tours for us and offered wake up calls etc to ensure we were up in time. Two of the mornings we had to be collected for our tour really early, before the breakfast was served but they ensured we had some coffee for the journey. The room we were in (113) was beautiful. The artwork was incredible. Every single room is beautiful and uniquly decorated. The bathrooms are beautiful and the beds so comfortable. The noise was minimal. We went to bed really early due to our early starts and there was some noise but as it got later into the night the place was really quiet.

The decking area on the roof is perfect with sunbeds and chairs set out beautifully. The jacuzzi is awesome. We had the area all to ourselves the few times that we used it.
The courtyard area is stunning. Because we were so busy during the day with tours etc, we didnt venture from Heritage Sq for dinner but this was no problem as the food and service at Caveau is excellent. The setting is amazing and there is always a buzz in the place.

The breakfast in the hotel was perfect. They set out a buffet with croissants, pastries, cereals, fruit, juice, meets, cheeses and also have a cooked breakfast menu and all the food is delicious. The smoothies in particular were awesome.

There is so much more to say about this Hotel but I think everyone staying in Cape Town should experience it for themselves.

I will definitely be staying at the Cape Heritage whenever i visit Cape Town in the future!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked absolutely stunning but ours was definitely my favourite
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Every morning, there is a cold breakfast readily available (breads, toast, croissants, fresh fruit, meat and cheese tray, coffee, tea). However you can order off the menu hot dishes (eggs, omelets, etc). It really was delish! As we left, the staff would ask us where we were going and if we needed any help getting there. There is a young lady, dark complexion, dark hair, typically wearing skirt and blouse (i think her name was Kelly) who was phenomenally helpful and kind. One terrible day, I misplaced my passport- the staff saw me come in from our day out and they beckoned me over and gave me back my passport (apparently I dropped it just outside of our room). I was mortified and sooooo very grateful. We stayed in two different rooms as we went to a Game Reserve for one night and so the second time we stayed there, we were in a different room. Both rooms were clean and beautiful!

One thing- I don't necessarily think this is the hotel's responsibility or fault- but I did leave 8 postcards with them for mailing. I paid for the postage with the hotel. So far, it has been over 1 month and NONE of the postcards have reached their destination (1 to France, 7 to the USA). I did email the hotel and they said that they mailed the postcards... so a caution, the South African post MAY be very tardy and relaxed or something may have happened as all 8 were never received. :-(

Pros: Beautiful, clean rooms. Friendly and helpful staff, Central Location (though be aware of where you are walking, this is a big city after all), close to Greenmarket Square (a great place to find souvenirs), a short cab ride to the Waterfront (40-50Rand each way), nice view of signal hill.
Cons: none that I can think of.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms starting with 2xx and there was some street noise a few nights- some very loud pe...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed at the Cape Heritage Hotel for three nights during our trip to South Africa, two nights at the beginning of the trip and one night at the end of our trip. We had the same room for all three nights. The room itself was truly fantastic, great decor, comfortable furniture and bed, free wi-fi and all the amenities you would expect. The staff upon our arrival were all friendly and very helpful. As other reviewers have mentioned, the windows are not double paned, so you can hear the street noise a bit more than you might in a modern hotel. This was not an issue for us and we slept soundly. We left looking forward to our return and eager to write a five bubble review on TripAdvisor. Our second stay, however, was extremely disappointing. Different staff members were on duty than our first stay and they were not as helpful. We had arranged for late check out since we had a late flight out of Cape Town. The hotel had promised a 4pm check out. At 2pm we received a phone call in our room asking why we had not checked out. This was quite a nuisance since we were trying to get some rest before our evening flight out of Cape Town. The reason we needed this rest is because we had almost no sleep the night before. At about 3am music started up from one of the bars below the hotel. It was so loud it was like we were in the bar. This went on until 5am!! No exaggeration here whatsoever. I went downstairs to the lobby and had to find the on duty clerk. He was soundly asleep in a backroom. I asked him if the noise was normal and he said that it was only for this one night. I asked him how he expected anyone in the front of the hotel to be able to sleep through the noise. His response was "I don't know." While the hotel wasn't full, he didn't offer us another room in the back where we would have not heard the noise as much. So we were awake in our room until 5am waiting for the bar to close. Since we only stayed one Saturday night, we have no way of knowing if the desk clerk was correct in that the noise was only for the one night. When checking out of the hotel, the desk clerk asked if we had parked our car in the hotel lot. We replied that we had and she proceeded to do something in the computer. When we got to the parking lot, the lot attendant informed us that the hotel had not properly validated our parking ticket. Thankfully, he was kind enough to take it back to the hotel for us so that we could be on our way. In the end, Cape Heritage fell well short of our expectations and we would be unlikely to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back that does not face the street
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank habs07
AnjaCapeHeritage, General Manager at Cape Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest,

In the first instance, I would like to thank you for your feedback.
The Management for the parking area has recently changed and I extend their apologies that the parking attendant on the Sunday was not fully briefed on the new procedures. They have since rectified this.
I am however most distressed about the events of Sunday morning regarding the music and the staff member. In order to complete our investigation into the matter, I need to clarify a few details. As they are of a sensitive nature, it would be greatly appreciated if we could communicate directly via e-mail : my contact detail : anja@capeheritage.co.za

My kind regards,
Anja Du Plessis
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Upon arrival, I as a single over 65 male traveler, was accepted into their family - a staff, always ready to serve - no asking to be of service and then delivering. 17 guest rooms provides a modest basis for the excellence provided. My compliments to Anja, the manager, and Bamford and Fazlin.

My room was large, modern (hotel renovation 3 years ago), and the bed confortable to perfection. The bathroom fixtures were of a modern style better than any I have seen - shower head 12 inches in diameter providing a soothing "rain" on a tired body. The bath tub four feet deep also couldn't be resisted - why couldn't I convince my wife to join me? Well, atwo days of flights from Chicago does discourage the faint hearted..One suggestion, especially on a weekend, the hotel shares an interior courtyard with two restaurant, one of which features loud throbbing music until about 12:30am. I had late nights, but if you want to sleep before the drunks leave, get a room on the quiet street side.

The location in cental Cape Town is what I wanted and after two days of wondering and exploring I felt comfortable - all destinations were within a confortable 30 minute walk on clean streets, courteous drivers, and friendly people. I never felt threatened or in any danger even at night.

High points of the visit. The annual last weekend of March Jazz Festival is a winner and the Kirsternborsch Botanical Garden which displays the unique species of southern Africa, including Cycad trees unchanged from the days of the dinosaurs 200 million years ago.

As a traveler of now 53 countries I would rate Carne restaurant as one of the best - meat of all kinds cooked and sauced to perfection, as was all the gormet accompanyments.

Capetown is a enjoyable daytrip along the coast to the Cape of Good Hope - spectacular and beautiful senery. Don't miss Capetown.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo