“Great luxury location in Cape Town”

Southern Sun The Cullinan
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Pretoria, South Africa
“Great luxury location in Cape Town”
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Cullinan when I attended a conference in the Cape Town International Conference Centre, which is a two minute walk from the hotel. Every staff member seems to be friendly and customer focused. Check-in was quick and efficient, the room was ultra-clean and everything in the room was in a good working condition. There is a seperate shower, you do not have to stand in the bath to shower. Room service was great and quick to respond. I chose to have breakfast in my room and it was delivered right on time and exactly as I ordered. I think this is a great hotel to stay in and at reasonable pricing. Great location close to the Waterfront and exit routes to the airport. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, 22 December 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your custom to provide us with feedback. It is only through feedback, positive or negative, that we can improve our delivery and your experience.
Garry Reed | General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My first visit to the Cullinan - very nice. Great customer service, tasty breakfast buffet with an array of cereals, hot porridge, grills, omelettes and pastries.........yum. My room was very very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Easy walking distance to the Victoria Waterfront, lots of restaurants and shops with live bands and entertainment in the open square. Lovely bar area alongside the hotel swimming pool.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
sherwood park, Alberta
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Wonderfully attentive staff who look after you, plus a lot of little extras (afternoon refreshment when you arrive, little snack plates, fresh fruit at the desk all the time, they remember your name and what you drink when yo go to the lounge) make this a great place to stay.

The hotel has touches of old world charm with modern updates.

Not sure if this is done on purpose, but the pool / lounge area has a very friendly house cat who just wants attention (and not food),

The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the Waterfront area so you can safely get there and back. It also has car service that you can order to pick you up from Capetown Airport.

Room Tip: Stayed in the original part of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank howho
Durbanville, South Africa
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel for a weekend.

The rooms are beautiful and stylish with all the necessities in place.

The staff members are all very friendly. We had a problem with the staff from the restaurant though, we went there for a coffee and pastry in the afternoon, they said we should have come in the morning as the pastries were still fresh, then we asked for an upsize coffee where they said then we will have to drink it out of a paper cup, so we decided to rather leave.

The rest of our stay was nice and relaxing, the breakfast buffet is amazing and there is a wide variety to choose from.

If you take your own car just keep in mind you have to pay for the parking on departure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Firstly location, this is nowhere near the waterfront, so either be prepared to take taxis or arrange your evening around the hotel shuttle bus which goes once an hour.
Nothing much around the hotel except the conference centre, so only really convenient for that.

We were unfortunate enough to be staying here when the Telkom conference occurred and they put two rooms of extremely noisy and drunk young men on either side of my room, even after 3 calls to security they wouldn't get them to stop partying and in the end I had to move rooms at 11.30 at night, not something I appreciate on business when I am working long hours, or at all as a lone female walking down a corridoor filled with drunk guys.

The new room was opposite the cleaners cupboard and the cleaners were loud rude and obnoxious, waking me up at 06:00 every morning with their shouting and carrying on, when I told them to keep it down they were cheeky and rude to me and I then complained to the shift manager I was told "Sorry madam they should have apologised for waking you" no actually your staff should not be shouting and laughing outside the guest bedrooms at 06:00 on a Sunday morning. They did nothing about the noisy cleaners

Though the lobby looks nice, the rooms are run down and tatty, I believe they are gradually renovating it, certainly needs it, peeling wallpaper and dated decor in the bedrooms.
Breakfast is a noticeably lower quality than other members of the Southern Sun chain, and a couple of mornings I struggled to get anyone's attention to get the basics such as coffee and toast.

Wifi is very slow, once I logged on to my company's VPN server it pretty much ground to a halt.

I didn't use the gym at this hotel, was too exhausted from lack of sleep.

Worst hotel I've stayed at on business, ever. I'm giving it poor instead of terrible because it was clean.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Horsham, UK
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We only stayed for one night and two days so our experience is limited however for the time that we were there we cannot fault The Cullinan. The shuttle service was good and on time, the staff were helpful and very polite - the hairdryer in the room packed up and a new one, plus an ironing board and iron we requested were delivered within 5 minutes - and they called the room to check we had received it. The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed. I thought serving free popcorn in the foyer during late afternoon was an interesting touch. It is well situated close to the waterfront and conference centre. I would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sanyati
London
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I just have to give the best possible review of the customer service received at this hotel - especially from the restaurant staff. On the first day there were no bananas at breakfast - I asked if they could find some, they asked how long I was staying, and lo, there were bananas every single day for the rest of my stay. This is just one small example of how well they treat the guests at the Cullinan.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, 21 February 2013