“Wonderful and Elegant Place to Stay”

Southern Sun The Cullinan
Ranked #24 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This is a wonderful hotel very close to the waterfront and center of the Cape Town city. Staff could not be more gracious and service oriented. The breakfast buffet is not to be missed. Afternoon reception is delightful. The rooms are quiet, clean and quite nice. Beds are terrific. A wonderful experience and their frequent guess loyalty program which is free to join gets you free WiFi each day.
A wonderful place to stay in Cape Town. And BTW, Cape Town is a terrific city and destination.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that our friendly team took such good care of you. Cape Town is indeed a special place and was voted the number 1 destination by Tripadvisor users in 2012.
I trust that you will have the opportunity to visit our city again and that we would be able to welcome you back to Southern Sun The Cullinan.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Although I live in Cape Town, on occasion I do need to overnight at local hotels and for anyone coming to our city and wanting a hotel that is conveniently situated and excellent value for money you need look no further than the Cullinan.
Situated right opposite the CTICC (Cape Town International Convention Centre) and close to the entrance to the world famous V&A Waterfront, this property is about the most convenient you will find.
Step inside and the huge reception area is grand in all sense of the word. The staff are friendly and attentive and one could easily believe that you have arrived at one of the top hotels anywhere in the world.
The pool area is clean and tucked away in a quad, protecting it from Cape Town's southeaster.
Rooms are spacious and comfortable and of higher standard than I have experienced in most foreign cities.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,
It is not often that locals take the time out to give us feedback about their experiences at our hotel. We appreciate that you took the time to let us know that our staff took good care of you and that we exceeded your expectations.
Please feel free to ask for me upon your next visit, I would be more than happy to welcome you back in person.
Do keep an eye out for our magnificent special deals on rooms and in our Restaurant.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

A very good 4 star hotel situated 10 mins away from both Waterfront and town centre , Should request a high floor ad possible to minimise outside noise. Staff, and Breakfast is as you would expect, no complaints

• Stayed: September 2012
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am delighted that you found the hotel adequate and comfortable and that the breakfast staff took such good care of you.
I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

The Cullinan is located across the street from the Cape Town convention center, making it a great place to stay for that purpose. The rest of the city is easily reached by taxi.

The first impression when entering is all marble and splendour, and walking through to the pool and open area is quite something. Unfortunately this impression fades a little if one chooses to enter the bar or move towards the rooms. Both are solid, but not quite as glamourous as the entrance.

The rooms are comfortable, with the bathroom (at least in my room) equipped with shower and bathtub, and the bed makes for a good nights sleep.

A definite plus is the staff, who are very eager to help and will sort out any problems you might encounter, making the transactions easy and convenient.

The breakfast has a large selection of all kinds of cooked and fresh dishes and is delicious and deserves compliments.

Another plus is the shuttle service offered to the waterfront, which gives easy access to one of Cape Town's prime destinations for shopping, dining and sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you ever so much for providing us with your feedback. It is fantastic to hear that the staff made the difference on your visit; it is so important that the engagement between our staff and our guests are positive.
I have passed your comments on to our Executive chef and I can assure you that all our rooms have both a bath and a shower.
I look forward to meeting you upon your next visit.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

We had 3 nights here and loved it! The hotel is beautiful and the rooms were lovely. The staffs were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was superb with lots of choice available. The shuttle bus is a great option as it made getting around very easy.

Would definitely recommend staying here and would love to return

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback it is highly appreciated. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights and had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Room was clean and comfortable, if a little on the small side. Bathroom had a seperate tub and shower which is my preference. The shower had fantastic water pressure. Tea and coffee making services, fridge and complimentary water is all available. One complaint I had was that there was no choice of pillows available, the ones in the room are very soft and when I rang I was advised that no others were available.

The breakfast buffet was bountiful and wide ranging. Service by staff was attentive and friendly. I ordered room service dinner during my stay and it was one of the best steaks I had eaten. I was also very happy that the meal was delivered hot, not lukewarm as is often the case with room service meals. I also found the bar staff to be very friendly and helpful.

The hotel provides a shuttle bus to the water front and I also walked it (about 10 minutes). The hotel is across the road from the convention centre and the HOHO bus stops here. The renovations which are happening were a little noisy during the day, but as I was out most of the time it wasn't a major problem.

The reception staff were always helpful and remembered my name after the first day which is always nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive feedback. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team.
The refurbishment is nearing completion, so upon your next visit I am sure you will not experience those disturbances.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Southern Sun The Cullinan in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

The Cullinan does not really have the sea or Mountain views but this lovely hotel is centrally located in Cape Town. Food excellent. Rooms very comfortable. Great for business and family stay overs and I'd recommend it for anyone coming to this beautiful part of the world.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Upon your next visit ask for a sea facing room and the team will gladly ensure you have the best views the hotel has to offer.
I have passed your comments on to the Executive Chef and the kitchen brigade, they are delighted that you enjoyed the food.