“Ideal for CTICC and the town centre”

Southern Sun The Cullinan
Ranked #27 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Nice hotel close to the Conference Centre and fairly close to Victoria Wharf. Check in was a bit slow, rooms are spacious enough, bathrooms ok, room service was prompt. The tea tray in the room is a great touch, in particular the milk!

Bar was fine as a bar but not overly impressed with the food in there, average at best. However staff did all they could to make you feel welcome. Breakfast in the Tulip Room was the best bit, great choice everything you can imagine. For non Muslims you need to search a bit for the Pork but once you find it the back bacon is excellent. Great service from the breakfast staff.

Internet left a lot to be desired, as A Frequent Guest I was allowed 2 hours access for free and then after that you had to pay by the hour, day and also by speed! Suggest the hotel need to think about this, I will consider other hotels as close to the Conference Center if I am attending another conference there. Internet access for business travellers is imperative so to be offered grades of service was poor in my opinion.

Overall with the Internet issues, average food in the bar and then the room rate as it was a busy conference period I doubt I will use it again.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your comments about your recent visit. We have recently changed our service provider and we are investigating a solution to the WIFI and internet concerns as mentioned by you.
I am saddened by your comment that you will consider not using us in the future, and I hope that in some way we can change your mind and hoping that on your next visit the internet problems will be resolved.
Garry Reed | General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,757)

Reviewed 17 November 2012

I just got back from a 5 night stay at the Cullinan. This is my second visit and my first review of the hotel.

The good side of the hotel is that it is just right across the street from the Convention Centre where I was attending a conference and it is a 7 minute walk or 3 minute drive to the Waterfront with its stunning restaurants, scenery and shopping. There is also a shuttle to the waterfront provided by the hotel which leaves every hour I think. Breakfast was above average though incidentally it didn't seem to have as much options as the Southern Sun Waterfront just beside it which is cheaper. The rooms come with a fridge, so you can keep a few things there if you desire. There are also taxi's just outside the hotel at most times of the day so if you aren't renting a car, you shouldn't have much trouble moving around.

A few things I felt could be better were the fitness centre. It was so small and not properly equipped. In the morning if you had just 5 people in it at the same time, it looked crowded and then you will have to wait a while to use any of the cardio machines. I was also not particularly impressed with the concierge. They may be knowledgeable about Cape Town but seemed to always be too busy and when I made an enquiry about a particular restaurant they took forever to get back to me. After repeated reminders over 2 days, the eventually introduced me to a taxi driver who would take me there without telling me where the restaurant was.

I also felt bad about missing church service on Sunday when I arrived. I repeatedly asked the concierge to tell me when the closest Catholic Church had mass in the evening so I could rest after my long flight to Cape Town. They never got back to me and when I woke up about 5pm I had to call again to remind them. They simply sent a schedule of service times of churches of various denominations in Cape Town. Incidentally, there was no Catholic Church on the list. I had to get on the web to get this information myself and unfortunately, I was an hour late or the last service.

Other than these little hiccups, the hotel served my purpose being right next to the convention centre while offering my basic comfort requirements. I will still recommend it as I am comfortable with the southern sun brand and believe my experience may be better next time.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,
Please accept my most sincere apologies for missing your church service, I have discussed this with the Concierge team and they are very apologetic.
We recently added the small Gym area to provide a quick and compact work out, there is a Virgin Active Health Centre across the road from the hotel, please feel free t ask any of the team members in the lobby to assist you with transport there on your next visit for a bigger variety in their centre.
We have noted your comments and we will work hard to endeavour to rectify these issues and hope upon your next visit you will see a remarkable improvement.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Cullinan. The minute our car pulled up outside, the staff were there to greet us and unload our luggage. The staff are what make this hotel - could not fault anyone of them. Everyone is polite and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them.

The lobby is very grand and, after being warned not to walk the streets at night, it was good to see a good security presence. Our room was a good size with two queen beds. TV, safe, mini bar (empty) and enough drawer and wardrobe space. The beds deserve a special mention - so comfortable with lovely soft pillows. The bathroom was also a good size with separate bath and shower cubicle - water pressure is great. A complimentary bottle of water is provided each day - maybe they should provide two when there are two guests.

The breakfast buffet is amazing - everything you could possibly want, even a diabetic corner and a station for freshly made omelettes. For UK visitors, don't worry when you see beef, chicken and mutton sausages - the pork sausages, back and streaky bacon are in a separate area just near the toasters!! I was so glad we were staying for 5 nights - plenty of time to try everything!

We dined out most evenings but did have one night in the hotel and tried the buffet in the restaurant. Again plenty of choice to suit every taste. Fresh fish and steaks available which they cook to order.

Nice seating area round the pool for drinks in the evening - the White Chocolate Martini was really good! The dark blue pool looks lovely but never saw anyone use it.

The hotel is in a great location for getting around. Free shuttle bus to the V&A Waterfront, the stop for the Hop on Hop off bus is just over the road and a 10 minute walk to the shopping area. Highly recommend the HOHO bus for first time visitors. We bought the 2 day pass - first day did the red route which takes you all round the city, we got off at Table Mountain and took the cable car to the top and in the afternoon got off at Camps Bay. Don't leave the ascent to Table Mountain until later in your trip - if the weather is good, just go. The blue route takes you out to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and Constantia where you can get on the separate Wine Bus.

This was my first visit to Cape Town and if I am fortunate enough to return again, would definitely stay at the Cullinan.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
By the sound of things, you experienced Cape Town and Southern Sun The Cullinan at its best! I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in our city and in our hotel. I have shared your comments and feedback with our team and they are all happy that they contributed to your positive experience.
I do hope that you will be able to visit us again and I look forward to welcoming you back personaly.

Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this Hotel for 3 nights
Great service from the front desk staff Lindiwe and Gavin great people
Brandon checked us in and was always attentive everytime we pass the front desk, the bell boys and the drivers were very attentive as well always asking if can be help or if we needed the shuttle. One time the shuttle was delay and one of them personally took another car and drove us to the water front, not expected but really appreciated
Zuko our waiter at the restaurant for breakfast was outstanding
Food at breakfast was great
The day we left was early in the morning 5:30 am and we requested a early breakfast to go and they had a breakfast bag with a delicious sandwich, yogurt, apple, muffin ready for us. We asked Gavin at the front desk for coffe for the next morning the night before and he made all the arrangements and our fresh coffee was there,thank you so much it was a great stay
The staff at your hotel is great they really made and impact

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. It is because of positive feedback like yours that we are able to recognise the individuals that shine.
I am delighted that you experienced our warm hospitality and do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

We spent 5 nights here in mid October. The hotel is lovely, the food is excellent and the staff are just so accommodating. The array of food at breakfast was amazing. We had dinner in the hotel on two occasions and it was excellent. Our room was on the 9th floor and we had a lovely view of the pool and also of Cape Town. The staff were so friendly and so helpful all the time. This is a lovely hotel and the atmosphere of friendliness and smiles is to be found in all areas of the hotel and at all staff levels. Well Done to all.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
I am delighted that my team looked after you and that you experienced our warm hospitality. Our staff are indeed our greatest asset and I will be sharing your comments and feedback with them.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

We spent 3 nights here and found the location to be perfect for both the city centre and V&A waterfront.
Staff were fantastic and very helpful in recommending tours and sightseeing.
Would highly recommend a high floor for amazing views over the city.
Great breakfast and spacious room.
Only minor gripe is wifi, but this would not put me off using again!

Room Tip: Get a high floor with view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to supply us with feedback. We have noted your comment about the WIFI and we are investigating a solution that would resolve this matter in the long term.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of Oct and were very pleased with the service we received from the staff, all the staff seamed happy, had a smile on their face and were very eager to please.
The hotel itself was in a central location with only a 5 minute ride to the waterfront in the free hotel shuttle bus. The rooms were very nice and recently decorated, the bathrooms were also revamped to a high standard. Even tough I feel I am a tidy person you could always tell that the cleaning crew and been in and cleaned to a very high standard. I could never make a bed look that neat (and I did try). The bed was very comfy and the duvets were warm.The food at the hotel was also nice.
The pool area was good the only problem being and it's not the hotels fault but you kept having to move to find the sun again as it moved. One thing that we were really pleased with was the Concierge staff who where very helpful in booking our safari for us and for telling us about Cape Town. Even though the hotel seemed to be a bit too business like for me I am very pleased with my stay at this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.