“Pleasant hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Pleasant hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

As usual, the lobby terrace is beautiful especially in summer time where people can set-up meetings and sit by the pool and relax or just talk the whole day.

Staff are very helpful and overall hotel amenities are adequate. I couldn't say much about this hotel since this is just another good hotel. Parking is convenient in basement if you drive a car. Location-wise, pretty strategic, though you would need a car or taxi to go to the Waterfront (very touristic place and expensive). I'd advise go to Canal Walk mall for the locals, at least the price are reasonable.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time out to supply us with your feedback and comments. I will be sure to share them with our team.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Best Regards
Garry Reed | General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed at The Cullinan for the first part of our honeymoon booked through a travel agent. The hotel is very kept very clean, beds were very comfortable, and the breakfast was excellent! The staff were very friendly and courteous, which really made us feel very welcomed and comfortable. The Cullinan really tries to made your stay a memorable one, with someone playing the saxophone in the morning, smoothies offered when entering the breakfast area, afternoon drinks and snacks for self serve at the lobby, and extremely helpful staff by the doors willing to assist you in anyway. The free shuttle to the V&A waterfront was an extra plus. Only suggestion is, I wish the hotel would offer free wifi.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our team looked after you.
Thank you for the kind comments in regard to the entertainment and the welcome drinks, I will ensure we share it with the relevant people involved.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Best Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

This is one of the best facilities in cape town. The linen is crispy and fresh and the hotel investment on its infrastructure on a regular basis is unmatched. The food is divine and the music in the foyer just serenades you every morning and evening. The pool area is amazing in summer and the location makes it easy to walk around the block in a safe environment.

Room Tip: If you have extra cash ask for an executive room, its to die for
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, 25 November 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Many are quick to criticise but few take the time to say thank you. We appreciate your kind comments and will be sure to share them with our team.
I do hope that I will be able to welcome you back to Southern Sun The Cullinan shortly.
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

The hotel is good but not great, but I think this is all it sets out to achieve. The staff are friendly, and willing to help.
The rooms are a reasonable size for a business hotel, well set out and with a good sized bathroom. I struggled with the internet, which has to be purchased separately, and the bandwidth is not great.
The room service and quality of the food was good, although the breakfast buffet seemed to be lacking in imagination and a bit pedestrian.
The public areas, such as the Bar and the pool area are comfortable, but seating always seems to be in short supply.
This is a hotel which could be really great with a bit more attention to detail, but as a short stay business hotel it does the job pretty well.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
I know time is a precious commodity in today’s world and I would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback.
You will be delighted to hear that we have recently appointed a new service provider of WIFI and with effect from 1 February 2013, you will see a major difference in the way we deliver in this area.
Your comments on breakfast and the seating areas are noted and I will endeavour with my team to pay attention to this.
Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

My wife and i stayed for four nights in September,as part of our first visit to South Africa. This is a superb hotel located a short walk from the V & A waterfront. All of the staff without exception were friendly and courteous. The rooms are comfortable and have all the amenties expected of a four star hotel. The buffet breakfast and evening meals had a wide menu choice and were good value. We made use of the safe underground car park. Its worthwhile making use of the regular shuttle transport to the waterfront, as we were approached by two stary people on our one and only walk back from the waterfront to the hotel in broad daylight. Overall i would recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are delighted that you recommend our hotel and will be sure to share those comments with our staff. We have spent lots of time over the past couple of months on training out employees and I am glad that you experienced the warm hospitality we are known for.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Cehegin, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Nice hotel close to the Conference Centre and fairly close to Victoria Wharf. Check in was a bit slow, rooms are spacious enough, bathrooms ok, room service was prompt. The tea tray in the room is a great touch, in particular the milk!

Bar was fine as a bar but not overly impressed with the food in there, average at best. However staff did all they could to make you feel welcome. Breakfast in the Tulip Room was the best bit, great choice everything you can imagine. For non Muslims you need to search a bit for the Pork but once you find it the back bacon is excellent. Great service from the breakfast staff.

Internet left a lot to be desired, as A Frequent Guest I was allowed 2 hours access for free and then after that you had to pay by the hour, day and also by speed! Suggest the hotel need to think about this, I will consider other hotels as close to the Conference Center if I am attending another conference there. Internet access for business travellers is imperative so to be offered grades of service was poor in my opinion.

Overall with the Internet issues, average food in the bar and then the room rate as it was a busy conference period I doubt I will use it again.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your comments about your recent visit. We have recently changed our service provider and we are investigating a solution to the WIFI and internet concerns as mentioned by you.
I am saddened by your comment that you will consider not using us in the future, and I hope that in some way we can change your mind and hoping that on your next visit the internet problems will be resolved.
Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

I just got back from a 5 night stay at the Cullinan. This is my second visit and my first review of the hotel.

The good side of the hotel is that it is just right across the street from the Convention Centre where I was attending a conference and it is a 7 minute walk or 3 minute drive to the Waterfront with its stunning restaurants, scenery and shopping. There is also a shuttle to the waterfront provided by the hotel which leaves every hour I think. Breakfast was above average though incidentally it didn't seem to have as much options as the Southern Sun Waterfront just beside it which is cheaper. The rooms come with a fridge, so you can keep a few things there if you desire. There are also taxi's just outside the hotel at most times of the day so if you aren't renting a car, you shouldn't have much trouble moving around.

A few things I felt could be better were the fitness centre. It was so small and not properly equipped. In the morning if you had just 5 people in it at the same time, it looked crowded and then you will have to wait a while to use any of the cardio machines. I was also not particularly impressed with the concierge. They may be knowledgeable about Cape Town but seemed to always be too busy and when I made an enquiry about a particular restaurant they took forever to get back to me. After repeated reminders over 2 days, the eventually introduced me to a taxi driver who would take me there without telling me where the restaurant was.

I also felt bad about missing church service on Sunday when I arrived. I repeatedly asked the concierge to tell me when the closest Catholic Church had mass in the evening so I could rest after my long flight to Cape Town. They never got back to me and when I woke up about 5pm I had to call again to remind them. They simply sent a schedule of service times of churches of various denominations in Cape Town. Incidentally, there was no Catholic Church on the list. I had to get on the web to get this information myself and unfortunately, I was an hour late or the last service.

Other than these little hiccups, the hotel served my purpose being right next to the convention centre while offering my basic comfort requirements. I will still recommend it as I am comfortable with the southern sun brand and believe my experience may be better next time.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Please accept my most sincere apologies for missing your church service, I have discussed this with the Concierge team and they are very apologetic.
We recently added the small Gym area to provide a quick and compact work out, there is a Virgin Active Health Centre across the road from the hotel, please feel free t ask any of the team members in the lobby to assist you with transport there on your next visit for a bigger variety in their centre.
We have noted your comments and we will work hard to endeavour to rectify these issues and hope upon your next visit you will see a remarkable improvement.