Our stay over all was a pleasant one but there were several incidents which highlight some basic failings in the service the Southern Sun group provide at The Cullinan. At check-in we were told we had booked a smoking room which we protested at due to the fact that we didn't smoke. Instead of just providing us with a non-smoking room which they eventually did we had to go on a long process of blaming each side for the mistake and then we were subjected to long waits and big huffs and puffs from the reception staff. Why couldn't they have just asked us to take a seat and assure us they would do their best to find a non-smoking room! I would have appreciated that far better after a 12 hour flight! Yaseen, one of he porters however was fantastic and provided us a complimentary soft drink while we were battling it out with the reception staff!
All the staff bar the reception staff were excellent. We unfortunately had to change rooms due to a leaking toilet and the gentleman who moved us was fantastic.
The pool area is well managed considering its small size and the catering it great! The breakfast buffet is superb and the bar staff make a mean Long Island Iced Tea.
However on departure we had to once again battle it out with reception. We were told on two occasions, once before arrival and once on arrival that parking would cost R20 a day! However when checking out we were presented with a bill stating a charge of R40 per day! Again we protested and the best excuse the receptionist could give that that info we were given originally was given by a trainee! I couldn't give a hoot as to who gave us that info. We were given that info by a representative of the hotel! They relented, eventually and we left with one impression! The hotel is great if you can avoid the reception desk's huffs and puffs!
The Southern Suns downgrading of services at the The Cullinan are unfortunately noticeable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only The Cullinan Hotel offers views of all of the Mother City’s main attractions: Table Mountain, the harbour and ocean, the V&A Waterfront and the city skyline. Marble pillars and floors and lush furnishings, transport guests into a world of luxury complete with individualized four-star services. A pool and gym offer the perfect way to relax after a day of business meetings or sightseeing and the choice of bars and restaurants is sure to meet everyone’s tastes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Splitty, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Southern Sun The Cullinan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Hotel Cape Town Central
- Southern Sun Cullinan
- Cullinan Hotel Cape Town
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Cape Town, South Africa