“Honeymoom”

Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cork
“Honeymoom”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We cannot rate this hotel highly enough!!We received VIP attention from the minute we arrived.Special thanks to Brandon & Reza/Rezu?!Our room was amazing as was breakfast!We were always greeted with a smile.Service was amazing.We received complimentary treats for our honeymoon and the hotel staff looked into any trip we wanted to do & booked trips for us gladly.Our room was stunning.We felt so safe.The bar food was more than average but not excellant.this would not stop me returning again!!We had a fantastic stay & would higjly recommend it!

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Southern Shores, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This was a good choice for me since my focus was on attending a conference which was right across the street. The rooms were nice although the shower leaked water all over the floor which was a surprise at first. But I believe that was just a problem that was not to be fixed. There was a drain which made it ok as long as you didn't mind discarding towels after every shower. Otherwise the room was fine and maintained well.

The breakfast buffet was quite large but things like bacon were not done very well. However there was plenty to choose from. The sandwich shop at the bar/by the pool was very reasonable quality and price - especially for a hotel. I did not try the buffet at night as I didn't want to spend that much - sandwich shop was enough food for me. Although we were there when it was cool (for me) to go swimming, there was a nice pool in an interior courtyard if you wanted to swim.

In general I would recommend it. There were a couple of quirks. I needed to call a number in the US collect as there was a problem with my credit card. They have no way to make an operator-assisted outside call. I had to use Skype to get my husband in the US to call as I cold not get the Skype phone call to work. The other odd thing is that there is no ATM in the hotel. I had to go to the conference center - not a problem for me but if you weren't attending a conference it would be a little odd.

The Step on/Step off tour busses stop right in front of the conference center. This was an easy way to get to Table Mountain and see some of the rest of the city as well!

One of the people at the hotel was mugged about 2 blocks from the hotel. Wasn't hurt but he was threatened with a knife. It looks like a nice area but do NOT go out by yourself at any time except perhaps in the middle of the day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The hotel is very welcoming from the entrance to the rooms and all contact areas. My husband and I had a very brief stay but enjoyed every moment spent there. The staff is very professional and cautious

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

There is nothing desperately wrong with the Cullinan, but there's so much more that could be rectified to turn it into the sort of place you'd want to stay in, and they need to bring their prices more in line with the global standard to make it worth paying for.

Last time we stayed in the Cullinan, I said the hotel was hopelessly overpriced. The price seems to have dropped to around 2,500ZAR - or 150GBP - a room ... sadly still overpriced for the quality of the rooms, considering you can get better rooms in other world leading cities for less.

The Cullinan is rated as a 4-star, but it's being priced over a high 5-star, and - if anything - delivering the quality of finish and furnishing of a low 3-star. For the size of hotel, the pool area is tiny & overcrowded, the gym is small, and - for a 4-star hotel - the room service menu is very limited.

For the price, and the star rating, I wouldn't expect the furniture to have deep scratches and cracks, the shower to be missing a part of the sealant and black mould to be found in the corner of the shower. It's interesting that our last stay in the Cullinan was two years ago, and in a different room, and the same piece had come off that shower.

Room Tip: Shop around, and don't be afraid to try B&B's - where you could get impeccable service...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We´ve stayed 5 night in this hotel. We asked for a room in the 9th floor to guarantee we won´t heard noise from the pool, that, from the first moment, we guessed would be full of people all the time. Rooms were comfortable, clean, with big bathroom. Breakfast is huge. It has all you can imagine and more. Plus the food is good and tasteful. Everything was working fine, Hotel is 5 minutes by car from W&A Waterfront. We rented a car and the good news is that the parking is free. You just need to call them before leaving the room, so the car will be waiting for you downstairs. The conciergerie also helped us a lot, booking restaurants and giving tips for the sighseeings. I would highly recommend this hotel for your trip in Cape Town.

Room Tip: Up is better - away from the pool and children screaming.
Pretoria
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was received warmly at The Cullian hotel in cape town, greeted by a friendly smile and grapes, wine and cheese, I felt like I had reached heaven.After being checked in I proceeded to a very neat warm and cozy suite, I especially enjoyed the bath, because I love unwinding in the bath after a long day, the bed was very soft, comfortable and the linen was cripsy fresh. I woke up revived, refreshed and ernegised. In the morning I was served a buffet breakfast, I mean, anything I could ever want for breakfast was displayed for my taking, the staff members were very friendly, efficient and they served me with a warm smile. I will definately stay at any sun International Hotel from now on and I have been telling all my friends and family of the overwelmingly pleasant experience I had at The Cullian.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was in Cape Town for a conference in December and stayed at The Cullinan for six nights. It was, overall, a wonderful stay -- comfortable, updated room; great breakfast buffet; mostly friendly service; good restaurant/bar; lovely pool. I'd have been prepared to give the hotel a stellar rating, until my last evening there.

I had a midnight flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam, and had planned a shark diving tour for my last day. Several times, I asked the staff at the reception desk about arranging a late check-out given the time of my departing flight. Each time, I got different answers (there was no charge for late check-out; late check-out sometimes but not always carried a charge; late check-out was allowed until 3pm if available; late check-out did not have a specific end time; shower rooms could be arranged free of charge if no rooms were available for late check-out; etc. etc.) ... but I was always told to check back the day I was departing, which didn't make me feel terribly comfortable without firm arrangements. The morning of my departure I checked out of my room as instructed, had my luggage held, and was told to check back with them when I returned from my tour and they'd see if they had some space for me.

I returned around 1:30 pm and told the desk clerk that I had a midnight flight and was hoping for a room where I could take a shower and stay until I needed to leave. I mentioned that I needed to depart for the airport at 10pm. "Okay, we can give you a shower room," the clerk told me as he gave me a key and sent me on my way. I wasn't given any instructions about check-out times or procedures, so thinking I had explained my schedule sufficiently, believed I had use of the room until it was time for me to depart.

Around 9pm, the hotel manager called my room and demanded that I had only been given a shower room and that they were going to have to charge me for a half night's stay. She spent the next ten minutes harassing me over the hotel phone, telling me that this was NOT the instructions I was given, she had "listened to recordings at the desk and knew exactly what I had been told," that "everybody knows check-out is at 11am at every hotel in the world," why should they let me stay in the room when they could sell it (at 9pm?), "everybody knows that a shower room is just a room to take a shower and that you can't stay in it longer than that" and that I was going to be charged.

I continued reiterating that my understanding was that I had use of the room until I needed to leave and hadn't been told when I needed to leave the room -- and that I would've vacated the room had I known that I needed to be out by 3pm, but I wasn't aware of this. She continued to argue with me angrily and refuse to accept that there had been a miscommunication, and continually demanded payment for the room. I finally had to tell her that I refused to pay for the room and she could take it up with my credit card company if she wished. Only then did she let me off the phone as long as I agreed to vacate the room immediately.

I've never been treated so poorly at any hotel in the 40+ countries I've traveled to. This was by far the worst customer service I've ever received: rude, hostile, arrogant and completely lacking in a helpful, "customer is always right" attitude. I travel in Africa frequently for business, often spending several thousand dollars for lodging and food/beverage as I did at The Cullinan on this trip, but I will absolutely never stay at a Southern Sun hotel again since this appears to be the standard of customer service practiced by their hotel managers to guests that offer good business with potential for repeat visits. Seriously unimpressed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business