From the moment we arrived at The Cullinan the staff were attentive & helpful. We landed in Cape Town early morning so as the hotel states we were not expecting to be able to check in until 2 p.m. however, we arrived at 8.30 a.m. to drop our bags and within half an hour of arrival the reception staff had organised our rooms and allowed us to check in, which after a long flight is just what we needed. Free Wifi access codes were provided at check in and was available in all areas of the hotel.
Our room 708, was smoking as requested and overlooked the pool and the waterfront in the distance. It was of adequate size and spotlessly clean, tea and coffee provided with further supplies delivered as requested. Shower was amazing and room enough for two!
Communal areas of the hotel were all very good and as previously mentioned the staff were great especially in the lobby bar. Although room only, we ate breakfast a couple of times in the hotel and this was plentiful and of high standard, however, price wise you get far better value at the Waterfront with just as good quality especially Tashas, highly recommended.
Hotel is ideally located for Long Street and the Waterfront both walkable. However, hotel offers a free shuttle to the Waterfront every 5 past the hour which we did make the most of and only once in our 11 day stay was it too full to accommodate our party of 6.
Now to my one slight flaw and that was the pool area. Although very nice, clean and much more roomy than alot of city hotels it was positioned so you had to chase the sun constantly. There are alot of structures that block the sun from certain areas and after 4p.m. it has gone completely. This was not the only downside to the pool area but also the Virgin Atlantic Cabin crew who stay regularly at the hotel. They bag all the best spots of sunshine and you feel alienated if you try to infiltrate and when you do manage to beat them to the prime spot, if you move from your sunbed they remove your towel and take your bed! Yes this did happen to me! I feel for guests paying good money to stay here they should not be allowed to feel intimidated by glorified waitresses and it should be something the hotel reviews.
On departure day we asked if we could keep our room on so we could shower and change before leaving, unfortunately the hotel was fully booked that day, so we had to check out at 11 a.m. However, once again the reception staff came up trumps and said if I went back just before we were due to leave they would organize a room for a freshen up at no extra charge and that's exactly what they did.
All in all we had a fantastic stay at The Cullinan and as a base to explore Cape Town it is perfect but for sun worshippers like me beware.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only The Cullinan Hotel offers views of all of the Mother City’s main attractions: Table Mountain, the harbour and ocean, the V&A Waterfront and the city skyline. Marble pillars and floors and lush furnishings, transport guests into a world of luxury complete with individualized four-star services. A pool and gym offer the perfect way to relax after a day of business meetings or sightseeing and the choice of bars and restaurants is sure to meet everyone’s tastes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers and Southall Travel so you can book your Southern Sun The Cullinan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Hotel Cape Town Central
- Southern Sun Cullinan
- Cullinan Hotel Cape Town
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Cape Town, South Africa