“Business Stay”

Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Business Stay”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Nicely appointed hotel 20 minutes from airport and 10 minutes from The Waterfront shops and restaurants. Courtesy bus to shops every hour. Staff very helpful and room comfortable. Downsides; I had a 14th floor room which was incredibly noisy in just a moderate wind. Down to the window design I guess. The free wifi internet was appallingly bad. Just strong enough to download an email without attachments but not strong enough to connect to a business website or download a file.
A comfortable but frustrating stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
It is only through constant feedback such as yours that we are able to improve our service delivery and guest experience. We appreciate you telling us about your concern and hope that upon your next visit to Cape Town you will allow us the opportunity of a second chance.
Regards
Garry Reed | General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Jut returned from Capetown and stayed at this lovely hotel. It is conveniently located directly across from the conference center. The hotel was very clean and the staff friendly. The buffet breakfast and lunch were both excellent. Lots of variety and really delicious. It is also a quick cab ride to the waterfront. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Southern Sun Cullinan, Cape Town to an extent that I would not mind returning there if ever I visit Cape Town again. It was a wonderful, marvelous and homely feeling that I left with back home to Zambia.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

West Sussex
Reviewed 14 April 2014

From the moment we arrived at The Cullinan the staff were attentive & helpful. We landed in Cape Town early morning so as the hotel states we were not expecting to be able to check in until 2 p.m. however, we arrived at 8.30 a.m. to drop our bags and within half an hour of arrival the reception staff had organised our rooms and allowed us to check in, which after a long flight is just what we needed. Free Wifi access codes were provided at check in and was available in all areas of the hotel.
Our room 708, was smoking as requested and overlooked the pool and the waterfront in the distance. It was of adequate size and spotlessly clean, tea and coffee provided with further supplies delivered as requested. Shower was amazing and room enough for two!
Communal areas of the hotel were all very good and as previously mentioned the staff were great especially in the lobby bar. Although room only, we ate breakfast a couple of times in the hotel and this was plentiful and of high standard, however, price wise you get far better value at the Waterfront with just as good quality especially Tashas, highly recommended.
Hotel is ideally located for Long Street and the Waterfront both walkable. However, hotel offers a free shuttle to the Waterfront every 5 past the hour which we did make the most of and only once in our 11 day stay was it too full to accommodate our party of 6.
Now to my one slight flaw and that was the pool area. Although very nice, clean and much more roomy than alot of city hotels it was positioned so you had to chase the sun constantly. There are alot of structures that block the sun from certain areas and after 4p.m. it has gone completely. This was not the only downside to the pool area but also the Virgin Atlantic Cabin crew who stay regularly at the hotel. They bag all the best spots of sunshine and you feel alienated if you try to infiltrate and when you do manage to beat them to the prime spot, if you move from your sunbed they remove your towel and take your bed! Yes this did happen to me! I feel for guests paying good money to stay here they should not be allowed to feel intimidated by glorified waitresses and it should be something the hotel reviews.
On departure day we asked if we could keep our room on so we could shower and change before leaving, unfortunately the hotel was fully booked that day, so we had to check out at 11 a.m. However, once again the reception staff came up trumps and said if I went back just before we were due to leave they would organize a room for a freshen up at no extra charge and that's exactly what they did.
All in all we had a fantastic stay at The Cullinan and as a base to explore Cape Town it is perfect but for sun worshippers like me beware.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have been to The Cullinan twice for business with the last trip in March and another coming up this week.

It is a clean hotel, friendly reception staff when checking in and the breakfast is superb not to mention the room service.

I have no reservations in recommending this hotel to colleagues and friends. I am looking forward to my stay there this coming week again.

Room Tip: I normally have a smoking room but there are some rooms with a nice view towards the conference cent...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Francois C
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We organised a large international trade mission to Cape Town last week and were very pleased with the quality of accommodation and service we received at the Cullinan Hotel in Cape Town. The public areas (restaurants, reception, bars and swimming pool) are all immaculate and very attractive. We organised one dinner for 50 people in the private dining room and had an excellent meal with wonderful service. My room was upgraded to a suite which was just lovely. All the staff were pleasant, welcoming and efficient. Buffet meals were of a high Southern Sun standard. Most important the hotel is only about 100 metres from the Cape Town International Convention Centre where we were hosting our trade mission so perfectly located.

1 Thank David G
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have stayed here several times and still love it. I have always had satisfactory rooms and this time (March 2014) I had a large and lovely room with which I was very happy. As a woman travelling alone I find that I am often given a room the size of a broom cupboard next to the lift shaft but here I was given one of the nicest rooms in the hotel and when I went into dinner I was taken to the best table in the restaurant in the bay window overlooking the swimming pool. British and European hotels could learn a lot from the Cullinan on how to treat solo travellers. I look forward to my next stay there. The only thing I regret is the closure of the formal restaurant in the evening but I do understand that these days the demand is greater for a buffet style meal.
Thank you to the staff of the hotel.for another enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Get a room fairly high up to enjoy the views (nothing special but can be quite impressive)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo