“Nice place, no confidence for goods”

Southern Sun The Cullinan
Ranked #27 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel is a nice hotel, well located in Cape Town. Waterfront and downtown are at walking distance. Many restaurants at around 1km at very reasonnable prices at European standards.
The people working there are helpful and courtuous, ready to support with advise on things to do.
Unfortunately, everything (clothes and luggage left in the room) is inspected (probably only) for money in the rooms, everyday. Even though there is a sage available, trustness is jeopardize. Money disappears, normally not cameras, id papers or computers... but you should not try however. It makes it strange that you get a key for your room... that is like open.
From this prospective, the hotel does not fulfil what I am expected from this range of hotels, although nice and well located.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at the Cullinan in a family room with two double beds for my wife and I and our two sons. It was a great way to start our week-long road trip. We are locals and I always wondered what the hotel would be like to stay in and I can say we were not disappointed. It was great! Starting from the staff at the entrance offering to drive our car into the garage and then us simply having to ask for the car when needed, felt very posh.
We had a room on the 9th floor with a view over the Waterfront, high enough to not notice any traffic noise. A nice touch was a good quality bottle of complimentary red wine in the room.
The staff are friendly and always interested in what we needed. The bar/pool food menu is very reasonable in price and of good quality. We used the free shuttle to the Waterfront and back. When coming back to the hotel arrive early for the shuttle in the Waterfront as it may fill up quickly, there is space for 18 people.
Breakfast was great, a large variety of hot and cold food to choose from. A surprise at breakfast was seeing the Sharks rugby team who had played a game the day before.
We would recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up to reduce the possibility of hearing the traffic and a view of the Waterfront...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014

It was a pleasure to put up at The Cullinan during a recent business trip to Cape Town. It is a beautiful hotel, with great service to boot. The standard rooms are also quite spacious and well kept. The hotel is a walking distance to The Cape Town Convention Centre, which is very convenient if one is attending a conference at the Centre. All in all, I was impressed by The Cullinan and will definitely be returning.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights in May and was delighted with all the hotel had to offer, having arrived from one of it's sister hotels I was impressed with the spacious rooms and facilities within. The bed was super comfy, and there was everything i could think of in the room and nothing was too much trouble (be warned 2 of the 4 pillows on the bed are feather - i read this in the handbook on the first night as i couldnt sleep and got them changed at 2am - as am allergic).

The reception area and lobby are very grand and splendid, the seating area outside by the pool is lovely also, although staff did look at us crazily when we ask to sit by the pool of an evening with no heating as their "Winter" is sometimes better than a Scottish Summer.

The bar staff were ever so helpful, finding out bus times, things to do, nothing was too much trouble, special mention goes to Warren who answered all our questions for us (and helped me get pictures of the Western Force super 15 Rugby Team).

I was there on business, but it felt more than just a business hotel as everyone was so friendly and chatty, a word of note though, this hotel does get rugby tourists also as some of the teams stay there, being a rugby fan i was in awe seeing the players about but it may not be everyones cup of tea.

Breakfast was included in our package and there was so much choice and variety and very tasty. I used the gym which is basic but does what you need it too. The food in the bar is reasonable also and also tasty :)

Nothing was too much trouble for anyone in this hotel, we were going on an early morning safari and they prepared breakfast boxes for us, it was my colleagues birthday and she got a cake.

all in all top class customer service, would return again if coming to Cape Town on work or pleasure!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stay at the Cullinan frequently, with tour groups that I lead and must say that the service is always of the highest quality. The staff are like colleagues - nothing is ever too much and no problem goes unsolved. From the porters and concierge to the security personal at the lifts, everyone is friendly and approachable. The hotel has a great vibe and it feels a lot like coming home when we arrive. The food is fabulous, the location prime and overall experience always a good one. Definitely one of my most highly recommended CT hotels for both business and leisure

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed for 4 nights while attending a conference at the centre attached to the Westin, which is across the road for The Cullinan. This is a beautifully presented hotel with some real character not an "off the shelf" chain clone not that's necessarily bad. But this hotel delivered on all important points. Nice well appointed rooms not huge but big enough. Clean well laid out bathrooms with good size bath and separate shower also good. Beds were comfortable well balanced between soft yet supportive and I am very fussy about my beds but was not disappointed. As others say breakfast is great with a huge array of options. Staff are friendly and helpful. If I were visiting Cape Town again this hotel would be top of my list. I agree it's not all that close to waterfront but it's a very short and inexpensive cab ride to get you there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at the Southern Sun Cullinan hotel because of a business conference. It is located just opposite the Convention Center which was a big plus for me, especially since it rained one day while staying there. The staff were so friendly, attentive and efficient. The food was outstanding at the breakfast room; the bar is small but very warm and welcoming and the dinner which I had there was delicious. Room service is also quick and efficient. the room itsrelf was very comfortable, with the bedding and bath both first class. I would highly recommend this hotel especially for the business traveller and for couples who want to relax and enjoy Cape Town. I brought my "significant other" and she enjoyed the hotel, its amenities and staff very much.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business