“My Chosen Location”
Review of Waterfront Village

Waterfront Village
Ranked #68 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 28 May 2013

As previously I was not escorted by the receptionist to my apartment but rather by a security guard.It was already about 11pm and the lights was not properly prepared and checked....light mains were not on, TV was not working, heaters were not switched on. Lamp shades were missing. We had to fumble around for almost 2 hours before getting settled.
The quality of the apartment was poorer than my previous stay. I booked through bookings.com even though it was cheaper through Agoda as I was prepared to pay for the best. I was certainly disappointed by this. We love this place except in future I will make certain that I get the right apartment and price. Overall great and convenient.

Room Tip: Choose the newer apartments..
1  Thank Royram53
WaterfrontVillage, Manager at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear Valued Guest

thank you for feedback on your recent stay with us. The gentleman that took you to the apartment was not a security guard, but our night receptionist. As all our apartments differ in interior furnishings, and the different blocks do offer different views, you are more than welcome to request a specific block or apartment when making your booking with us, and should it not be available, we can accommodate you in a similar property.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Great location, walking distance to the Waterfront, two oceans and the Cape Town international convention centre.

Staff are extremely good and the unit was clean and well equipped. What was also great is the units come with a full kitchen which is rare for cape town and the price

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Riccardo V

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your last stay with us. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed all the services and facilities provided. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

I am all praise about the Waterfront Village. We were in a 2 bedroom apartment ground floor, right in the front, over looking the spectacular boats. We could walk easily and safely to the Aquarium, restaurants, the V and A Waterfront and children's play areas. We opted for an upgrade in accommodation as our dollar is so high, and it was worth it. The staff booked any outings we wanted and made enquiries for airport pick up, taxis, High Teas, rental cars and safaris. We travelled as husband and wife with a 4 year old daughter. I loved having the apartment serviced every day and the security guards always on stand by.

Room Tip: We were in the Penrith building ground floor so we had plenty of outside space for our daughter. Pl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
WaterfrontVillage, Manager at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear valued guest

Thank you for taking the time in sharig your comments about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with your family and that our staff proved helpful in planning your excursions.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Location of my apartment was great, could not have been better. I travelled with a group and my apartment was not up to the standard of my fellow travellers. The shower head was not functioning properly, the tiles were in a bad state of repair and the apartment had an awful smell but overall had everything I needed was there, housecleaning was done daily. Short walk to V & A, very high security. This was sold to me as 5 Star so would be poor value for money.The group of women travelling were spread out over several blocks and therefore very isolating, I was the only one in B Block.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
WaterfrontVillage, Manager at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on the recent stay with us. We are aware that the group was not situated in the same buildings, as your group was a bit too big, and we don't manage all the apartments in the buildings you stayed in. We therefore accommodated you in the first 3 buildings (Block A,B,C ) which are all next to each other, for the reason to have you all as close to each other as possible. We do hope that you enjoyed your short stay in Cape Town.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

the accomodation is ideal for relaxation and sight seeing in capetown. the outside view presents interesting breath taking especially canal which allow for canoeing and sea activities.
the nearby V&A area is within working distance and a place to visit, eating and to see different live band displays by different band groups. this can be accessed on foot through the back entrance to the village.
the surrounding of other hostels and the nearby CBD is makes it quite accessible. the affordable and reliable taxi services readily available adds to staying here interesting.
Sam

Room Tip: rooms more to the south are closer for access to V&A, resturants and other social amenities.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2013

It was difficult to rate this hotel as the apartments are outstanding. They are a fantastic location, just a short walk to the V&A, very spacious and great security.
Unfortunately the issues with the staff left an overriding impression. When I checked in on the 1st of May I was left standing there while 3 staff at the front desk just stuff around. The gentleman on the front desk didn't even lift his head, spent the whole time playing on the mobile phone (he obviously thought he was too important to help me). When the lady did try and help me she tried to give me someone else's travel vouchers. Then after about 15 minutes an elderly couple walked through the door and to the desk and they were offered assistance immediately. I was astounded and this time very very angry. I knew I couldn't check in (as it was 10am in the morning) but all I wanted to know was where to leave my car.
The lady that checked me in was lovely. Very helpful but my goodness it took soooo long.
The night that we checked in the internet went out and then the TV. While it was very very annoying the gentleman tried everything to help get it back up, even arranging for connection in the next room. He was wonderful. As it was a public holiday nobody could come out and I understood that the next day I couldn't get on to internet anywhere in the room. The staff were very very unhelpful. Just saying that they have terrible internet connection (then why advertise that you have it???? I think this is very misleading). Every time I rang (and I shouldn't have had to keep calling) they just said that they were waiting on a call back from the internet service provider. They made absolutely no attempt whatsoever to resolve this issue and as a result I ended up having to make numerous calls to Australia which costs me a lot of money. While the apartment is lovely, with the exception of a few key staff, the majority of staff need a kick up the bum to realise that they are employed because we as paying tourists stay he. We are not an inconvenience to their day!!!!!!!!!
Either fix your internet reliability or remove your advertisement that your rooms have it. This is very misleading for people and is costing people money. Not good enough!!!!!!

3  Thank TLee41
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This place is simply unsuitable for any business traveler.

I stayed in 2 rooms, giving me two opportunities to experience the place, so I feel reasonably confident saying Village Waterfront, while beautifully located, is maddening in its poor value for money.

In both rooms, the wifi was not only abysmally slow, but getting it to work in both apartments involved going into my computer's settings to manually change the DNS server. In 2013, any competent grad of a basic IT certificate program should know how to make that work automatically. Worse, after the first connection, I had to reboot the router every subsequent time to get it to work. They also sell wifi by the gigabyte at absurd prices: for example, if you download a movie from iTunes you'll end up paying more for the download than the movie itself. Really feels like they're profiteering off their guests by charging such rates.

In both rooms, the TVs did not work. Both times I called asking for someone to come have a look. No one ever did. At the front desk, they made me feel stupid for not knowing how to make the 4 remotes work.

In the 2nd apartment, the microwave and stove did not work, defeating part of the purpose of renting an apartment.

Both times I checked in, staff failed to tell me where the parking was located for that apartment. I had to move my car. Small thing, but compiled with all the other things that didn't work, staff that didn't care, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Honestly, this place feels like they're trading off their location. It needs a clean sweep from top to bottom. Management should go along with most of the staff.

Room Tip: Just stay away
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MarkP_9

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for bringing the above points to our attention. We will ensure that our staff gets retrained and monitored on the areas of concern. We would like to assure you we will take all measures possible to improve on all our services offered.