“A few big issues...”
Review of Waterfront Village

Waterfront Village
Ranked #68 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 13 July 2014

So let me start by saying that I booked this 'Hotel' via one of the hotel websites. It was listed as being a hotel despite being apartments which I did not realise....however I can't blame them for how other websites advertise them - it's down to me to research and I can take it up with the website in question.

So what were my issues?

- Airport Transfer. I sent them an email simply telling them when I was arriving and asking how much an airport transfer was. I did not receive a reply from them so I organised my own transfer for $240R.

When I got to the airport I saw my name on a sign and assumed this was the pickup I arranged. On the way to the car I asked how much the transfer would be and the driver said $430R to my shock!!

After some confusion I realised this was not the transfer I booked and I went back to the terminal to meet my booked transfer who was luckily still there.

So all I did was to simply enquire into a price of a transfer.....to which I received no response and therefore gave no confirmation and the Village Waterfront sent someone to pick me up at almost double the rate of every other company out there. Not good service....you just CANNOT do this kind of thing.

- Distance walked. So I get now that this is not a hotel but still....some kind of shuttle is essential for check-in's. After a long flight the last thing I want to do is carry all my bags into the apartment complex, over to security to have my photo taken and then all the way back over to the apartment. Dripping with sweat and then had to repeat this journey to check out! Hate starting the day sweating!!

A car is needed to take people round to security and then as close to the apartment as possible.

- Apartment was actually nice with only one issue worth noting - the air con just wouldn't turn off - even when set into off mode...so all night I had the sound of air con on which isn't great for those of us who normally sleep without such background noise.

So a few issues around service which soured the experience a bit. I can see this place being nice if you are staying for a few days or more but for any less or for a business traveller i'd advise a proper hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tonyc32
WaterfrontVillage, Manager at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Mr Tonyc32

Thank you for your comments.

We realise that the companies we use are usually more expensive due to the trust we need to have in them as we often transport high profile tenants and public figures.

We do sincerely apologise for the aircon noise issue, we do have a highly trained maintenance team that operate 7 day a week to deal with issues around the Waterfront Village and this should have been dealt with.

As for our check-in process, we are unable to use golf cart shuttles and the like around the marina due to noise disruptions to tenants and residents. This means that transport via a motor vehicle is essential. We do apologise for the walking due to the unavailability of the shuttle.

If you ever are in Cape Town again we would recommend the Bay Hotel, if a hospitality village is not conducive to your accommodation needs.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at the Waterfront Village from the 14th May for four nights. We really enjoyed our time there. The apartment was very nice and comfortable. We had everything we needed for our stay. There was plenty of room to relax. The kitchen was well fitted with all the appliances you would need. Washer, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, kettle and a large fridge freezer, plus plenty of crockery and utensils.. The bedroom area had plenty of storage cupboards. The bathroom was large and had a large bath and a hand held shower. Perhaps a shame it was not attached to the wall, but we managed. The security was excellent, you were given an electronic card to open the gates at the entrance of the village, and you used it again the enter the building were your apartment was located. We overlooked the canal and this was nice to watch when we sat on the veranda. On the Friday evening there was a lot of activity on the canal. People were rowing their canoes or using their sail boards. Would highly recommend these apartments whilst staying in Cape Town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

The apartments are gorgeous. We were in Julienne 604. The front had views of the waterfront area and the back had views of table mountain. The units are clean and self serviced. One hitch is the porter.. Not reliable they arrived half an hour late to fetch our bags that too after repeated calls. Also the dryer in the apartment didn't work. Nor the hair dryer. Reception needs to do a better job with service.. They are located far away and never answer the phone.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed 5 nights here in a very comfortable apartment with easy access to the V&A Waterfront and its great selection of restaurants. After booking, we read some negative reviews about laborious checking in procedures and having to hang around for security pass photos to be taken. We had none of that, check in was quick and easy with no photo requirement so the system must have changed. The complex is huge but they drove us to our block, and once you figure the place out it doesn't take that long to get around. Security seems top class.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Howard D
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment and was amazed with the amount of space. Central heating, well equipped kitchen and comfortable beds were very welcome. Very central with waterfront a short walk away. Security and privacy very good. Recommending to all our friends!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at Waterfront Village – in Carradale 13th – 23rd April, a family of 2 adults and our 15 year old daughter Emily, in a 2 bedroomed 1st floor apartment.

From the minute we arrived the staff could not have been more disinterested. The girl on reception hardly looked up at all as we registered. Zelda took us in the car to our apartment – Carradale, I stated that we had requested an upper floor overlooking the Harbour (this was a 25th Anniversary trip and our travel agents had requested a nice view for us) “is this what we have got”, she did not answer. When we got to our room it was on the 1st floor overlooking the canal and the building site opposite, I queried the room and Zelda stated we would have to speak to the manager if we wanted to move. I thought this was most unhelpful, but my family and I said it would do as we were tired from travelling.

What followed then was a catalogue of errors in the rooms. We were issued with 2 keys for the apartment – only one worked and it took 3 / 4 attempts with security to get the 2nd one re-set.

The air con did not work, my Husband managed to re-set it and then the handset would not work, maintenance needed to be called to sort that problem out.

The shower in the main bedroom leaked after every shower, again maintenance had to have a look at the seal to try and get it fixed, it never stopped leaking onto the bathroom floor.

The kettle leaked, eventually it was changed after complaining on more than one occasion and flooding the kitchen work surfaces every time the kettle was boiled.

The wi fi did not work and when we rang up to complain we were told it cost 190 rand for 1 gb. We signed up for this and it took 3 days and a new router to eventually get it to work, we lost count of how many times we complained about the wi fi until it got sorted.

Frequently the housekeepers did not leave enough towels for the 3 of us, again we were having to ring reception and complain about this, before more towels arrived.

The pool was below our balcony, one floor down, but in a 10 day stay we did not use it once as it was so cold.

The rooms themselves were spacious and clean and the proximity of the apartment block to the restaurants and bars at the Waterfront were also a plus point, however the apartment we were in could not be called luxurious and all the issues we encountered in a 10 day period led to a less than relaxing time. I am absolutely clear having read some of the other reviews that some of the apartments are better looked after than others and I am not sure I would recommend Carradale to other travellers.

As for Cape Town V & A Waterfront – shops, restaurants and bars were very friendly and eating out was very reasonably priced indeed, probably due to the large choice of places to eat, a main course, wine and coffee for 3 of us was about £35.00 - 40.00 in total.

We did the Red / Blue hop on / off bus on 2 days which was excellent value and great for getting around and seeing where else to visit and where to go back to. Visiting Table Mountain and Kirstenbosch Gardens were the highlight for us, however buy your Table Mountain tickets on line as on busy days you can queue for up to 2 hours for tickets and the cable car.

We also did 2 organised trips to go Wine Tasting in Stellenbosch and to the Cape of Good Hope/ Boulder /Simonstown to see the penguins and Cape Point and they were very good trips and most informative.

The Robben Island trip was very interesting and moving , but we almost missed the boat back as our guide was still talking. I personally would have liked more time on the island to take in the atmosphere.

Taxis were plentiful and fairly cheap, many of the drivers were also a good source of information about the surrounding areas.

Our safari experience before we got to Cape Town was brilliant, our trip to Cape Town was good but badly let down by the poor standard of our apartment. All the people we met on both parts of our trip were open and friendly but certainly the staff at Waterfront Village could do with a customer care course!!

Maigread W – Hereford
16/05/2014

Room Tip: Do not choose Carradale Apartments.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Maigread W
WaterfrontVillage, Manager at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Maigread W

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at Waterfront Village, we are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be assured that this is not the Standard of Service we at Waterfront Village pride ourselves in. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return and ensuring we exceed your expectations.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We (3 couples in our fifties) stayed in a third floor 3 bed apartment. Clean and serviced well but it's dated and the hot tub had some kind of green slime on it. No wifi. Limited view, the upper floors may be better.
V good restaurants with great food around the clock tower (5 min walk), the restaurants in a long line next to the Ferris wheel are more fast food standard ( bland)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter A

Dear Green91

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at Waterfront Village,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us but disappointed that we did not meet all your expectations in other areas. Feedback, positive or negative is very important to us and ensures that we can improve and resolve problem areas and improve our standards.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards