“terrific stay”

Winchester Mansions
Ranked #23 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at WM - the staff were super helpful with all our questions as well as my dietary requests. The hotel is personal without feeling crowded and small, and the location is fantastic. They had an excellent breakfast, in a really lovely courtyard. We enjoyed it thoroughly.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
NilsHeckscher, General Manager at Winchester Mansions, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Swedeninternational

Thank you for your lovely review. Please come back real soon!

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Hotel: nice atmosphere, beautiful courtyard
Room: modern junior suite on the 3rd floor, spacious and nicely furnished but quite dark as there was only one tiny window (so "sea-facing" doesn't equal a great view..)
Restaurant: not the best restaurant in town, but definately good food for good value; breakfast / brunch was very good
Service: ok, very friendly
Location: Good; it's very easy to get around by car / taxi / hotel shuttle.
Overall: recommendable, will stay there again next time!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor seem to have bigger windows than the rooms on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Babalu33

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you found the room a bit dark, I think it may be the one with the palm tree in front. Hearing that you will be back we make sure you get another one next time, pleas mention such. Until we may welcome you back to Winchester Mansions.

Kind regards from sunny Cape Town

Reviewed 23 December 2011

I needed peace and quiet for a work project so booked into a modern classic room and spent most of my time at my computer. Room service was quick and efficient, good food and friendly staff. The distant murmuring from the beautiful courtyard downstairs was a pleasing background. A friend joined me for breakfast, we were allowed a late check-out and it was perfectly relaxing. This hotel gets everything right.......I hear the Sunday jazz brunch is brilliant. Haven't had a chance to sample it yet but I hope to do so soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear BarbaraJonesCapeTown

I just read your review for which I thank you. I am happy that you were happy. Please join us for one of our brunches, they are thankfully very popular so please book in advance! Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I took time to research where to stay in Capetown as it had been 20 years since our last visit and as it was our 25th wedding anniversary we decided to spoil ourselves and our 11 year old daughter by staying in a family suite for 3 nights in November after a safari in Sabi Sands. First the positives, only a few. Ideally situated and the staff were very professional although surprisingly most of them on a training programme from college. Our suite was spacious but a little tired and overlooked the back entrance to the hotel and bins, and not a view of Table Mountain as advertised. The mini bus is not always available to take you to the Waterfront as they also hire it out for private tours, they do have a second mini-bus but try not to use it as they want to keep the mileage down as they are planning to sell it, in the New Year. Our biggest disappointment was that even though on trip advisor the managing director stated that the recent refurbishment was completed before our visit, this was not the case. The poor reception staff had to work whilst enduring the whole of the front of reception being removed and replaced, you could not get near them to ask them a question, and if you did you could not hear them for the noise of the drills the men were using. We tried to escape this chaos and went to the pool where we told we could not sunbathe on one side of the pool or go in the pool as promotional photographs were being taken!! We then went to the bar and sat on the patio out-side to have a quiet drink, but no even that was too much to ask as workmen were working on the side of the hotel/car park of the hotel and we were shadowed in dust and again could not escape the noise of drills.
After out return I received many e mails asking me to give feedback on the hotel, which I did. I was assured the managing director would respond to my comments but funnily enough after my visit just over 7 weeks ago I have heard nothing. I have given them ample time to apologise as I am fair and am not a complainer normally, but when you spend a considerable amount of money for a short stay, then I expect certain standards, if work was taking place then we should have received a discount or given the option to change our dates. At the end of the day we did not get value for money as we could not use the facilities to their full advantage, and we had to put up with the disruption during our stay .

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the front
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann B

Dear Ann B

Only now do I go through our recent reviews and so I came across yours. Huge apologies for only replying now, I cannot explain why other mails, you sent, did not get to me. The renovations, in particular in our reception area took indeed longer mainly due to the erratic availability of timber which was installed whenever available. It is clear that we disappointed you and did not deliver on your expectation. I have sent a message to you directly via Tripadvisor and hope to hear from you. I would like to again apologise not only for the below expectation experience but also for not getting back to you sooner.

Kind regards from sunny Cape Town

Reviewed 20 December 2011

This review is a little late but we stayed here at the end of May 2011 for 3 nights and loved the place. Upgraded to a family suite at no extra cost and enjoyed the wonderful buffet breakfast each morning. All the staff we encountered were extremely polite and helpful.

Great spot close to shopping strips and transport etc.

Hoping to return in 2012.

Brett Lorena and Tayla Melbourne Australia

Room Tip: Beautiful suite we had overlooking the bay.
Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Fantastic ambiance in this hotel. Very smart bar and a dream patio, where fantastic breakfasts are served when the weather is OK. Smart clientele of all ages. I really appreciated my two nights stay in this hotel. My room was not so big, but very quiet, on the back side. Small but agreable pool.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
NilsHeckscher, General Manager at Winchester Mansions, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear JMB Switzerland
Thank you very much for your review!
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The mix of guests is very important to me as I want us always to be a genuine hotel and not one of the all too often found which seem somewhat “plastic” in atmosphere and guest mix. It would be lovely to have you back with us real soon!
We all wish you a wonderful Christmas and a fantastic 2012.

Managing Director

Reviewed 1 December 2011

The Winchester Mansions is well placed as inbetween The Waterfront and Camps Bay. Try and stay on a Sunday for their Jazz Brunch - brilliant band and good value for money. You must book a table as it is very popular. It is held in the amazing courtyard. They also have a small outdoor pool and the bedrooms are very nice. The staff are very helpful with any of your queries.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank chrissy051

Dear Krissy 051
Thank you very much for your great review!
It is wonderful to hear how much your stay with us. Our jazz brunch after about 14 years is Cape Town’s longest running and most popular, and we’re proud of it. I guess it is the combination of food, music, location and service that make this such a great recipe, and of course at less than 20 Pounds it is grrrreeeat value. We hope to have you back with us real soon!
We all wish you a wonderful Christmas and a fantastic 2012.

Managing Director