Definitely,this hotel is not part of a chain. The attentiveness of the staff, from check in to check out, is excellent.The rooms are a good size, and everywhere is kept spotless. We had a room overlooking Signal Hill, which was fine. There are a number of rooms, facing onto the courtyard. Between the windows of these rooms and the courtyard, is the ' corridor ' . I don't think that it would be a problem, but we prefered being able to open our window, and have a view, with no obstructions. The breakfasts are good, with the option of buffet, or menu ordering. The dinners, are exceptional, and not expensive. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. There is a free shuttle ( people carrier ) from the hotel to the V & A Waterfront and back, which when the hotel is quiet, can be booked as and when required.
There are very little options for eating out near the hotel. We only tried the chinese, 'Tao Yuan', in the direction of Camps Bay, and cannot recommend it. The V & A is the normal place to go to eat,( over 75 places to eat and drink ) but some are quite ' touristy '. As mentioned, the dinners in the hotel are excellent, and even the bar snacks are substantial and good. Sundays' are very busy, with the jazz brunch, and some diners and families, spend the rest of the day around the pool area.
Check out is at 10.30 but can be extended to 12 noon. There is a shower room adjacent to the pool area, where we were able to change in the late afternoon, for our flight home.
I don't think we will be going back to Cape Town, but if we did, we would definitely stay at Winchester Mansions, and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. All in all, a great hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winchester Mansions is an iconic building on the seafront in Cape Town within close proximity to the V&A Waterfront and Cape Town International Airport. Free shuttle service to the Waterfront, free wifi internet access in public areas are standard. This landmark hotel offers classic elegant rooms, many boasting stunning sea views. Facilities include a heated pool, relaxing treatments in the Ginkgo Spa, signature dishes from award winning Harveys Restaurant & Bar as well as full service conferencing. Cape Town's most famous and longest running Jazz brunch is hosted at Winchester Mansions every Sunday of the year. The monthly Grapes, Gourmet and Gallery evenings draw large numbers of food & wine lovers and art aficionados. Winchester Mansions - Part of the Journey ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Winchester Mansions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Winchester Mansions Hotel Cape Town Central
- Winchester Mansions Cape Town, South Africa