“wish we could have stayed longer”
Review of Kensington Place

Kensington Place
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Montreal, Canada
“wish we could have stayed longer”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Kensington place while in Capetown. This boutique hotel is very well located and accessible to the city's main attractions. The service we received was outstanding and we very much appreciate the time Austin, the manager, took into ensure we had a great time in Capetown. We appreciate the restaurant and activity recommendations. The breakfast was delicious. I wish we could have stayed an extra day to have been able to sit and enjoy the beautiful pool and lounge area! The room set up was great and had a beautiful view of the mountain. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 584Jen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I can only echo the sentiments expressed by others here. Why KP is not number one in Cape Town is beyond me - how could there be better service or location? I disagree that the location is a negative, I think it's a huge positive. Mere minutes to Table Mountain and Signal Hill or Camps Bay without having to deal with the central city traffic (and Capetonians are the craziest drivers I've ever seen) plus being in a quiet safe suburb that ensures peace a night. So while the location is great (and a nice slightly challenging walk to/from town if you want to work off the breakfast calories), and design and decor utterly stunning, it's the service that stuns and delights each day. Austen is the perfect host and Michael carried the flame equally well on night shift. They treat you like old friends, meet whatever request you may have and are endlessly friendly about it. We had rental car issues - they took over and sorted it. They provided maps, booked tickets online to save us money and time, helped me back up my photos, and offered great advice at every turn. Add to that touches like fresh flowers in the room, free wifi and loaner laptop, turn down service with tea lights and chocolates, iced water and fresh apples daily, heated floor, yoga mat, beach towels and basket, robes, bath salts and loofah.... it's hard to imagine anything lacking! As the breakfast is not only served in a stunning room but by delightful staff from a menu (not a wasteful buffet) that rivals a good cafe. It's all scrumptious and perfectly prepared. The dinner bookings they make for you pre-arrival are an amazing touch and let you sample some of Cape Town's best restaurants - something a tourist with last minute planning rarely does. To help them, it might pay to advise if you have alternate plans or are not interested in fine dining before you arrive. We felt a little guilty at canceling two of our bookings but it was only because we came to KP after a week of three course dinners on safari and wanted to eat light for a few days. We did Test Kitchen though and it's one of the worlds best restaurants. Don't miss it! Cons are few, but one of them is big. We had room 7. It's a lower ground room and we had to listen to female guests upstairs preparing to go out at night (and more briefly, coming home) clomping around on high heeled shoes which crash loudly through the roof to the rooms below. I've had this in other accommodation and wish for two things - that more women were aware of this issue and put their shoes on only as they are leaving and that hotels would insulate upper level floors better! But the management can't be blamed for a building issue so choose an upstairs room if possible and this won't be a problem. We also heard toilets being used and flushed from above so insulation isn't great but we didn't hear voices and that wold be worse. The only other thing is that if you have a car there is only parking for three or four at a pinch so it's tight and the car park is under Lilly Pillies which drop purple berries all over your car! But these are tiny things and could do nothing to detract from a stunning stay. We would love to be back and express our huge thanks to the team at KP for one of the most memorable stays we have had anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room for a view and no noise from guest footfalls above you or toilets being used...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bckpckrau
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Excellent boutique hotel with wonderful staff. Thank you Austen for all your tips, suggestions. Thank you Michael for the nice talks. We really felt like we were at home. Wonderful breakfast. Thanks virginia & other ladies.

Beautiful design ! Best atmosphere We 'd love to come back once. Johan & Sherine Willemse

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Johanwillemse
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Stayed here recently on our Honeymoon and the experience was fantastic.... It all started when we arrived and Austen, the hotel manager, sat down with us over some champagne. They had taken the fantastic step of booking us into restaurants on each of the four nights we were in Cape Town - and by an large they weren't places we would have chosen but were great local eateries. He also ran through a do and don't list for Cape Town and highly recommended the Old Biscuit Mill on a Saturday morning, which was a great steer. His help was very valuable in making best use of our time in Cape Town as our planning was a little rushed!

The location was great - at the foot of Table Mountain and very quiet. You need a taxi to get to most places, but that was fine as the hotel looked after all that very well - plus taxi's are quick and efficient.

The hotel looks amazing and the design and fit out is beautiful - we loved the small garden as well. Breakfasts were great on the terrace and the hose made muesli was so good we are tempted to try and make our own now we're back home!

The room itself was fantastic, spacious and comfortable with a lovely bathroom and a great view. We were bumped up from a normal room into a top floor suite and it was great. Free wifi was appreciated, although the connection was a little patchy.

Overall I would definitely recommend Kensington Place over the larger commercial hotels downtown. Great hotel with great service and a great feel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WillSarah
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful oasis in Cape Town. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and they seem to think of everything.... Even booking our dinner reservations at fabulous restaurants for us in advance. The breakfasts are also very yummy. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. In fact, I don't want to leave!
Simply perfection.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paulandtoby
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Kensington Place is a small boutique hotel nestled at the foot of Table Mountain behind a tall privacy wall. The driveway fits 2-3 cars at best. Inside the security gate there were tended gardens and a small plunge pool. As I entered the hotel there was a cozy bar to the right, and the lounge with fireplace to the left, both rooms were chic, colorful and warm. Austin, the new hotel manager, smiled and we shook hands. He was exceptionally hospitable in every way - one of the coolest guys I met the entire time in Cape Town. He took me up to my room, #2 (Superior), where he showed me around. I was absolutely blown away. The king bed looked to be wonderfully comfortable. The large flat screen tv swiveled perfectly into view from either the elegant couch or bed, on opposite sides of the room. I spied a complementary laptop and relished the air conditioning (February can be quite warm in Cape Town). The balcony offered a view of the gardens and a small pool, with Table Mountain to the right. It was rather large and a great place to lounge in the cool evening breeze. The bathroom was elegant, to say the least. The ceiling mounted rain shower literally felt like being in a warm rain. The cons to this hotel? The location is not as desirable as the VA Waterfront or Camp’s Bay (which are 5 minutes away by taxi) although there are a number of great local restaurants within walking distance. The pool was not exceptional. However, what this hotel lacked in location and amenities, was by far overshadowed by the marvelous room and stellar service. At night I left Kensington Place to have dinner at Camp’s Bay. Upon returning to Kensington Place there with a pitcher of purified ice water on the table in my room, the bed had been turned down, towels refreshed, and best of all when I walked into the bathroom there were little tea candles all around the tub. These are the small details that matter to me when I travel. The next morning I once again was greeted by every staff member by name, including by the Austin the manager. I sat down to have a complimentary breakfast, which is not a large wasteful buffet like you find at the larger hotels, but instead a menu with some truly great dishes on it. I has an exceptional omelet and their coffee was fantastic (coming from Seattle I know my coffee). Kensington Place really impressed me – much more than I thought it would before traveling… it is a great value, has a superb host in Austin, and the service far exceeded my expectations… and let's not forget the awesome room!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Safari_Tim
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I was originally planning on staying for one day but extended it to three. Don't even bother with the cheesy downtown hotels. This place is just excellent. Service like you haven't seen before. Location is pretty good too but you need to use cabs. Not walkable especially at night and uphill.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank serkar
kplace, General Manager at Kensington Place, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to review Kensington Place - our only regret is that you couldn't stay for three more days! It was a pleasure to have you stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kensington Place and the beautiful city of Cape Town!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
POD Camps Bay
#1 of 12 in Camps Bay
Taj Cape Town
#17 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Kensington Place? Share your experiences!