“Stunning view from revolving restaurant”
Review of Top of the Ritz - CLOSED

Top of the Ritz
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I went here on Saturday night with my family to celebrate my birthday. The view is absolutely spectacular. The restaurant revolves slowly, so you get the full impact of the view from the ocean to the city to the mountain. The place itself is a bit hammered and dated. Badly in need of a facelift. The menu is also very dated and felt like a 70's selection. It is also very expensive. The food took a very long time to arrive but was very good. We waited an hour for dessert which was served table side (Flambéed cherries). The toilets were absolutely filthy with several cockroaches running around. The best thing was the view and the novelty of revolving slowly while we ate.

1  Thank civharas

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Firstly, perhaps it is fitting to point out that the staff were lovely and very helpful. That unfortunately is about the only positive remark I have.

Since it was our first valentines day as a married couple, I wanted to really go all out and spoil my hubby, so I booked us a table for the Valentines dinner. Our expectations were no where near met. Not only was the restaurant absolutely boiling hot and stuffy, but the tacky balloons, home made menu's with Clip Art on them and cheap bottle of blue Sparkling wine that tasted like medicine in china town quality gift bags were a bit of an insult to the guests who paid good money expecting a touch of class.

The restaurant itself is in dire need of a complete refurbish, they tables and chairs are in a disgusting state and the dusty old blinds and curtains make it feel like you are in an old ugly train cart. We felt like we were on the set of some old movie.

Perhaps I wouldn't be so upset if the food had been superb, but sadly it was just average, not bad, but average.

I think what I am most enraged about however was the cost of all this. If the price had been more reasonable I would maybe excuse the lower standard of things, but for R800 it is utterly unacceptable. I did some looking around when deciding where to book for this special evening and there were a number of exquisite restaurants that were the same price as The Ritz restaurant and to think that for the same cost we could have gone somewhere like Reuben's at the One and Only, makes me feel like my money was wasted.

I was very upset at the experience that we had and while we tried to make the most of it, it really was not a very nice evening at all.

Don't waste your money.

4  Thank Samantha M
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Celebrating my wife’s birthday, like we did 29 years ago … the food was a huge disappointment, to put it mildly … we hardly complain over price, if ever …

She had the Avocado Ritz for starters, which one could see was well prepped in advance; I had the snails, on recommendation of the waiter … burnt orange in colour, and completely flavourless.

Disaster struck on arrival of the signature dish … the Ostrich Colonial style … We had to order the mains with the starters, and it arrived almost immediately after the plates of the starters were taken away. My wife’s steak was completely overcooked, and had to be returned. The waiter asked me whether I was fine, which I ‘was’, trying to save the moment; and took my wife’s plate back to the kitchen. I called the waiter to ask what he suggest we do, I with food, my wife without – celebrating her birthday? It was replaced almost immediately – which made me think; carvery-style, available from the kitchen?

The plates were cold; the 3 chunks of meat were dried out, completely tasteless and cold; the rice, dried out; the fish was the best; the prawn grilled to death; the green curry sauce without any flavour, no hint of curry at all? And the bananas … On a visit from the manager, apologising for the mishap with the steak, I actually questioned whether it was ostrich, and mentioned how tasteless and leathery it was … only to hear that, they do not marinade the meat at all … I suggest to the waiter, if this is/was a signature dish, they should consider to remove it from the menu … We decided not to order desert, as JC le Roux saved the night …

We left, agreeing that, even the Colonel would have beaten this?! Question remains: would we return? The view remains spectacular …

1  Thank RonelRed
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Went for our anniversary to The Ritz in Greenpoint. Magnificent view , but that is where it stopped. Hostess unfriendly and took 2 minutes to find our name on the list. Décor, carpets etc is very outdated and looks dirty. Waiters were friendly, but some of them need to increase the size of their clothing. The quantity of the food was way more than we expected, but the food was tasteless. I had the Ostrich colonial style. It comes with Ostrich fillet, line fish, one prawn, rice on green curry sauce, vegetables. The vegetables was nice and crunchy and fantastic spice and taste. My wife had the chicken breast but the brought the wrong side dish, but rectified it quickly. We had the Cherrie Flambé for desert. Once again, a huge desert plate. Just a pity that it still needed something to make it more tasty.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The view is spectacular. The food a disappointment. The prices rather high.
Choose your food very carefully! I had one of the signature dishes: Ostrich colonial style. It comes with Ostrich fillet, line fish, one prawn, rice on green curry sauce, vegetables. The line fish was Yellow tail. My wife had grilled tiger prawns, garlic butter sauce, vegetables, polenta.
Well, all the prawns were very much overdone, the ostrich fillet grilled much too fast, tough as leather on the outside, not enough at the center. We had a french salad first, the sauce came in bottles with a blocked neck because the sauce was in the bottles for too long and therefore thick and hard at the top. It had to be prodded out with a knife.
In short, go there for a drink enjoy the view and pay the sur-charge when not eating.
Bay the way, the revolving restaurant is only open for dinner, except on sundays when they also serve lunch. Just below ist a bar, open all day, but it does not revolve unless you drink too much though...
The service was so so la la.. like in a tourist trap... they know that most patrons are passing through town and will never return.