“A hidden gem”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This restaurant is a true gem, well hidden in central Cape Town.

We had two courses - the starters are of a big enough portion for two to share, very tasty and hot hot sauce!
The curries are indeed what you should expect, well flavored and well presented and prepared.

The service at the restaurant was particularly good, you get the sense that you are eating a friend's place.

Although the decor is a bit outdated, the owners appear to be trying to maintain a family vibe about the place.

For a good curry, I would say yes again to Vandiar's

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stumbled on this place about a year ago and have been back on numerous occasions. As I like hot curries it was perfect for me but on our last visit my wife asked for mild and only when she was halfway through her food did she comment that it was very strong for her and would I mind tasting it.
It was exactly the same as mine and unfortunately had burnt her palate to the extent that she could not taste anything thereafter, so it was a waste asking for a new plate. As it happens the fault was either with the waiter or the kitchen but the food was so cheap that it was not worth making a fuss(anyway I finished hers as well). Next time I will taste her food before letting her burn herself.Anyway the curries are just the way I like them and whilst the waiters could be a little more trained the ambiance outside on Dunkley square (summer time) is great.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Were hunting for a restaurant around our B&B in the Gardens area. Suddenly started drizzling and we rushed into this Indian restaurant. Actually even though we are Indians we love eating the local food of the land - particularly my 7 year old daughter - not keen on Indian food. But we convinced her to eat here - and were pleasantly surprised by the food
We were recommended a dish called Bunny Chow - the owner thought this would be widely available in India, but was surprised that we were hearing of this dish for the first time - actually it was dish widely available in Durban. But it was worth experimenting.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Came here with my cousins - food was amazing but service was a little slow! We got complimentary brinjal fritters after our meal :) would go again.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Great food, great service! Had a great time at Vandiars.
Im definately going to become a regular!Butter chicken Pizza was amazing!