“Disappointing Indian experience”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We dined recently at Vandiar's and were unfortunately disappointed in the food. The Butter Chicken did not have authentic Indian flavours, and the rice seemed like local Tastic rice! Was expecting more of an authentic Indian taste from the dishes, but this seemed to be lacking. Maybe the Durban Indian cuisine is less authentic Indian and thus our disappointment. The upstairs section was very cosy, until it became engulfed with the smell of old oil - maybe the extractor fan was not working in the kitchen. Anyway, won't be returning in a hurry.

1  Thank Andrew_SouthAfrica1
There are newer reviews for Vandiar's

Reviewed 9 July 2014

While planning a meet up with a good friend, one of the criteria was an inexpensive spot as she'd not been paid so could we keep it 'real'? A fair comment in Cape Town as the hipsters are taking over and you can't find a simple burger for less than a C-note anymore. The other rule was no burgers or pizza, which made it all the more difficult. She'd found this place on a Groupon, at a fair deal, with a shared starter and two selected mains and a glass of house vino at a more than fair price. So we booked to give it a shot. When I arrived a group of very jolly ladies staggered out, after what was clearly a fantastic afternoon filled with the chef's fare and probably a wee bit more of the house wine than they should've had, but they'd obviously had a great time and I was all the more enthusiastic. I soon discovered why. The folks at Vandiar's are very welcoming. Warm and sincere. As a result I felt instantly comfortable and quite at home. The Groupon deal (still very fairly priced) was specific to a select number of items on the menu, but we were invited to add as we wished, And I regret not doing so as there were a couple of things I'd like to have tried. We shared chilly bites <Omg jussis wow how they hell do they make them so squishy and yeah!> and then the dinkum Durban chicken curry. It's a very Durban curry, although we thought they could offer the one I had, and if requested, a hotter version for the more keen. The rest of the menu is superbly priced, with starters sitting between R20 and R40, (did I mention 'fair') and mains going from R60 and up, but still nothing silly. I'm hoping this place becomes the 'honey I don't feel like cooking should we just go out?' place to enjoy a dinner out without the snobbery that comes with eating out in Cape Town nowadays. Stick with parties under eight, and you'll have the best time of it.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This restaurant is a true gem, well hidden in central Cape Town.

We had two courses - the starters are of a big enough portion for two to share, very tasty and hot hot sauce!
The curries are indeed what you should expect, well flavored and well presented and prepared.

The service at the restaurant was particularly good, you get the sense that you are eating a friend's place.

Although the decor is a bit outdated, the owners appear to be trying to maintain a family vibe about the place.

For a good curry, I would say yes again to Vandiar's

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stumbled on this place about a year ago and have been back on numerous occasions. As I like hot curries it was perfect for me but on our last visit my wife asked for mild and only when she was halfway through her food did she comment that it was very strong for her and would I mind tasting it.
It was exactly the same as mine and unfortunately had burnt her palate to the extent that she could not taste anything thereafter, so it was a waste asking for a new plate. As it happens the fault was either with the waiter or the kitchen but the food was so cheap that it was not worth making a fuss(anyway I finished hers as well). Next time I will taste her food before letting her burn herself.Anyway the curries are just the way I like them and whilst the waiters could be a little more trained the ambiance outside on Dunkley square (summer time) is great.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Were hunting for a restaurant around our B&B in the Gardens area. Suddenly started drizzling and we rushed into this Indian restaurant. Actually even though we are Indians we love eating the local food of the land - particularly my 7 year old daughter - not keen on Indian food. But we convinced her to eat here - and were pleasantly surprised by the food
We were recommended a dish called Bunny Chow - the owner thought this would be widely available in India, but was surprised that we were hearing of this dish for the first time - actually it was dish widely available in Durban. But it was worth experimenting.