“Little gem in the city”
Review of Freres Bistro - CLOSED

Freres Bistro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Small enough to tailor-make your meal (with advance notice) and big enough to service any function, Frere's Bistro brings Paris to the Mother City. Catering to those who have a palate for honest French cuisine served in a relaxed style that more than lives up the European principle of joie de vivre, Frere's offers its loyal customers the chance to eat with friends, laugh & enjoy. This homegrown Bistro prides itself on serving fresh produce straight from an organic garden to your plate and will delight you with a menu to suit even the most picky of eaters. Sante!
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have often referred clients staying nearby, to Freres and the feedback has always been good, but I had never eaten there myself.
I recently had the opportunity to crash a dinner I had referred and it was a wonderful experience. The restaurant is small and cosy, the service friendly (if a little chaotic) and the food was really quite delightful. I arrived late and did not want to keep my clients waiting, so ordered the French onion soup. It was a completely decadent affair and easily enough to satisfy my post-rugby-in-the-Cape-winter hunger. I was particularly impressed with their wine list and with the recommendations that the staff had made to accompany the table's food orders.
I will definitely continue to recommend and book Freres for future clients.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is a great, intimate new Bistro in the less frequented dinner spot of the Foreshore in town. Limited but well executed menu with French influences as you'd expect. Good service. A cosy new addition to the restaurant scene in Cape Town - can't wait to go back again!

1  Thank capetownmatt
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was my first dining experience at Freres and I am already planning my return - soon! What a warm welcome, quirky but professional service and absolutely outstanding food. There were three of us but we ordered 4 starters as they all sounded so good we couldn't decided what NOT to have! From the starts, through the delicious mains (including some unusual and delicious fish dishes) to the tarte tatin and chocolate mousse to die for...we could barely fit another morsel in by the time they arrived but still managed to polish off every tiny bit. Absolutely loved the interaction with owner and chef Jason Whitehead; it felt like we were guests in his private kitchen.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Great Camembert fondu and fish soup although not Bouillabaisse as per menu.Better to book in advance as there aren't many couvert.Good value for money.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

So chuffed we have found this little gem. It was an absolute delight. We had dinner with friends and the experience was brilliant.

Good service, good wine, and fantastic food. An excellent apple tart! Bellisimo!!

Definitely going back, and very soon

1  Thank ElizevN