“Gorgeous bistro with great service”
Review of Freres Bistro - CLOSED

Freres Bistro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Small enough to tailor-make your meal (with advance notice) and big enough to service any function, Frere's Bistro brings Paris to the Mother City. Catering to those who have a palate for honest French cuisine served in a relaxed style that more than lives up the European principle of joie de vivre, Frere's offers its loyal customers the chance to eat with friends, laugh & enjoy. This homegrown Bistro prides itself on serving fresh produce straight from an organic garden to your plate and will delight you with a menu to suit even the most picky of eaters. Sante!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Gorgeous bistro with great service”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I really like the look of this restaurant, small but yet well laid out. The menu is quite extensive with a lot of classic french dishes to choose from. The foie gras starter was delicious as was my confit duck. The waiters had very good knowledge of the food that they were serving and were very attentive. Will definitely go back as I left no space for the amazing looking desserts.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Somewhat disappointing”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't really it. The ambience was kind of weird but could be lovely under different circumstances (there was a loud party of what looked like business colleagues, and people with babies). Service was excellent though. The starter of a rabbit pate was delicious, but the mains were kind of disappointing. My duck was good, but would have benefitted from being served with more sauce and something other than potato mash; my partner's oxtail was very tasty, but contained so little actual meat that he left very disappointed. We decided not to stay for dessert. I think my disappointment mostly stems from the fact that the prices were so high (R150 for the oxtail) and didn't compare with the quality that was served - nothing was bad, but it didn't live up to expectations or cost.

2 Thank DaturaZA
JasonWhitehead, Owner at Freres Bistro, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hi DaturaZA,

Thank you for your review - if it weren't for these reviews, things may go unnoticed and we would not be able to rectify them.

I would really like to address all your issues with you personally, so if you could please supply me with your email address in order for me to write you a written apology and invite you back to ensure that we can restore your expectations of us. I would hate for this to be your last experience of us, as our policy is that no-one leaves unhappy, no matter what it is we have to do.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon. My email address is: jason@jasonwhitehead.co.za
Cape Town, South Africa
“Superb food & service”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I loved the simplicity of Frere's. Menu on the chalk board. Well trained staff. Amazing food. Lovely little French wine or two.
The rabbit dishes are devine - my favourite was the rabbit stew. Yum yum. Will definitely be back.

2 Thank Alice L
Uden, The Netherlands
“Good, some disappointments”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Good food except the much appraised Rabbit Burger. Tasteless as Rabbit is, this is not the way to add flavour. The fierce mustard ruined all...

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Laurens D
JasonWhitehead, Owner at Freres Bistro, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hi there Laurens D,
I am so sorry you did not enjoy the burger that you had. We pride ourselves in serving only the best produce, with the best possible friendly service, so it really saddens me that you were not happy. I only wish you had have said something when you were in the bistro, as our policy is that "no one leaves unhappy", no matter what it is that we have to do to ensure that your experience with us is a pleasurable one.
I did respond immediately to your comments that you wrote on our Facebook wall moments after you left, inviting you and your family back, in order to change your perception of our burgers, but did not receive a reply. We have never had any negative feedback on our burgers in the past 10 months that we have been serving them, so I am really shocked that you did not enjoy yours. Saying that, I am not disregarding your comments that there may have been too much mustard on your burger - we are truly sorry about this, and would still love you to come back if you are still in Cape Town - my original offer still stands.

Hopefully see you soon,
Jason and the team at Frères Bistro
Cape Town
“Little gem in the city”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have often referred clients staying nearby, to Freres and the feedback has always been good, but I had never eaten there myself.
I recently had the opportunity to crash a dinner I had referred and it was a wonderful experience. The restaurant is small and cosy, the service friendly (if a little chaotic) and the food was really quite delightful. I arrived late and did not want to keep my clients waiting, so ordered the French onion soup. It was a completely decadent affair and easily enough to satisfy my post-rugby-in-the-Cape-winter hunger. I was particularly impressed with their wine list and with the recommendations that the staff had made to accompany the table's food orders.
I will definitely continue to recommend and book Freres for future clients.

• Visited July 2014